120G Rimless shallow peninsula tank

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you planning on using?
I use the Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and want to change as well due to high price, high alk.
There are not so many salts available for the lower value alk users.

Currently using Reef Crystals. I didn't mind before I was dosing, but now I am, it's easier to bring up than it is to bring down.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow the tank is looking awesome!

Who got the bta! ;Cyclops;Peeking;Watching

Thank you.
The BTA's went to a fellow reefer here in Dubai. In the meantime he also took a couple of sps frags to start filling up his tank.
He has a nice 2 meter tank with only 4 fish inside and an urchin ;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm
The tank has been running for almost 2 years I think, so it was time to get some colour in it.
He knows what patience is...

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
The BTA's went to a fellow reefer here in Dubai. In the meantime he also took a couple of sps frags to start filling up his tank.
He has a nice 2 meter tank with only 4 fish inside and an urchin ;Facepalm;Facepalm;Facepalm
The tank has been running for almost 2 years I think, so it was time to get some colour in it.
He knows what patience is...

On a side note to the previous message...
The 3 BTA's went in the 2 meter tank last night. 1 ended up in the overflow during night time and is shredded to pieces, 1 is MIA (nowhere to be found). The third one is wandering around in the tank.
Next time the BTA's will come with a manual and instructions.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first quick attempt to get a video of the tank with a new phone. Turned out not so bad.
Unfortunately I was in a hurry and did not see that some corals had fallen of the rocks.
Lights are too blue so will make another video in the next couple of days

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This relationship is still going strong.

46029703234_7af5531778_k.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneaky bubble algae always interfering, spreading like wildfire, and taking over...

I had a single bubble on the base of a Hammer that I kept a close eye on for over a year. Amazingly, it never grew or multiplied. Then nearly two years later a giant nest of them popped up out of nowhere, but I was too late... now they are popping up everywhere. They sure do spread ridiculously fast. Is there no way to exterminate them completely once you've been overrun?

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneaky bubble algae always interfering, spreading like wildfire, and taking over...

I had a single bubble on the base of a Hammer that I kept a close eye on for over a year. Amazingly, it never grew or multiplied. Then nearly two years later a giant nest of them popped up out of nowhere, but I was too late... now they are popping up everywhere. They sure do spread ridiculously fast. Is there no way to exterminate them completely once you've been overrun?

There are ways to get tid of them.
Nutrient control is one thing.
Some crabs and/or fish also devour them.

As long as I can keep my nutrients under control, I am not in a hurry to exterminate them.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While my wife was cooking and talking to one of her friends about first and third world problems (the Kardashians never interested me anyway....), I got some time to take pictures and edit the blue light.

These are coral that suffered from the presumed alk spike, got their tips burned and are now covered in some kind of algae.
This weekend I'll do a water change and I will try to get these tips cut and cleaned to allow new growth.
At least I think that is the best course of action.

2019-01-16_08-36-21.jpg

2019-01-16_08-37-44.jpg

2019-01-16_08-36-39.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first quick attempt to get a video of the tank with a new phone. Turned out not so bad.
Unfortunately I was in a hurry and did not see that some corals had fallen of the rocks.
Lights are too blue so will make another video in the next couple of days

Janci. Love the video.
Pictures are great for detail, but your video really helps to appreciate and take in the Full Tank View, and layout. I might do a Vid since all those FTS are getting boring.

Now I don't feel too bad cramming all the frags so closely in my Tank. You Corals are pretty packed too, and it looks great.

Very VERY nice!!

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Janci. Love the video.
Pictures are great for detail, but your video really helps to appreciate and take in the Full Tank View, and layout. I might do a Vid since all those FTS are getting boring.

Now I don't feel too bad cramming all the frags so closely in my Tank. You Corals are pretty packed too, and it looks great.

Very VERY nice!!

Have fun trying!

I think next time I might do a better video.
This weekend is a good time as I'll do water change and clean the glass.
Light setting is more important as I have no idea how to edit videos.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't, but those tips will not allow new growth I think.
Will cutting them off help?

I would think so, but I am new to this SPS game. I think of it like bushes, where pruning actually promotes growth, but I may be totally wrong on that. I have an Anacropora I kocked of a rock and a tip went dark reddish brown just like yours. I clipped it last weekend, but too soon to tell the reaction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think so, but I am new to this SPS game. I think of it like bushes, where pruning actually promotes growth, but I may be totally wrong on that. I have an Anacropora I locked of a rock and a tip went dark reddish brown just like yours. I clipped it last weekend, but too soon to tell the reaction.

You got two likes on your post by now. Enough to give the pruning a try. LOL

I never was great with zoas, but these do pretty well.
I think on collecting a couple more.

46701859022_14acca3238_k.jpg

This is one of the stronger SPS.
A very slow grower, but lovely colours

46754662161_dfce5a2c57_k.jpg

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or do these pictures seem a little dark... with no enough light?
They seemed pretty clear at first but looking at them now, there seems to be something off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back