125 Gallon FOWLR Stocking

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new member here but I've been looking through the forums a lot over the last few weeks for help in setting up my tank. I have a 125 gallon fowlr tank running on an FX6 that's just about done cycling so I wanted to get some advice on the order to add fish/what kinds of fish would be good for a beginner. I'm going to be adding a couple of clownfish first just to get things started, but for the other fish I am planning on:

-Yellow Watchman Goby
-Longnose Butterflyfish (or any butterfly so long as its hardy)
-Royal Gramma
-Flame Angelfish
-Mandarin Dragonet (planning on an HOB refugium for pods)
-Firefish Goby
-Longnose Hawkfish
-Yellow Tang (I live in Hawaii so with any luck I can collect a wild one)
-Powder Blue Tang
-Blue-Green Chromis

That's just a rough idea of fish that I've been looking to add for now, I figure that some fish may need to be taken out or added in based on compatibility or bioload so I'm pretty open to tweaks. Thanks!

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Do note that dwarf angels are only semi reef-safe.
I'm not planning on adding any corals, well actually it's illegal here to own/buy/sell so I couldn't do it even if I wanted to haha

In terms of the order to add fish, what should go first and how many of each could I add? I know for the butterflies and tangs it's probably only one of each species, but what would be a safe number of chromis to add for example?

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what should be the order that I add in the fish to keep down aggression?

I'm also considering going with some anthias over the chromis, would they do better as one of the earlier introduced fish or can they pretty much be added at any time?

And any other hardy fish recommendations? There are so many different kinds of fish that I always feel like I'm forgetting something

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin goby needs a well-established tank, or it will starve. I have one, but it's my last one, I would stay away from PBT. It's that angry kid that always looks to start poop with others. Kinda like a jock on steroids. I will never buy another one.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin goby needs a well-established tank, or it will starve. I have one, but it's my last one, I would stay away from PBT. It's that angry kid that always looks to start poop with others. Kinda like a jock on steroids. I will never buy another one.
Yeah it's definitely a "down the road" pick. I'll get a HOB refugium to establish a pod population before I even consider adding it. Shame on the PBT though, aesthetically I feel like it would have brought a nice contrast with the yellow tang

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's definitely a "down the road" pick. I'll get a HOB refugium to establish a pod population before I even consider adding it. Shame on the PBT though, aesthetically I feel like it would have brought a nice contrast with the yellow tang
I think Regals look nicer with Yellows.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Regals look nicer with Yellows.
Definitely agree, but they would probably grow too large for my tank. I think when I looked around the PBT did well in 125 gallons but the Regals need around 180 iirc

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine for nearly a year and it’s 3 inches max. Doesn’t fly around the tank. Of all the triggers I think they require the least space.

Oh snap. In that case I just might have to add one. But would they get along well with the other fish that I have in mind? Triggers are aggressive fish, no?

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gobies should go first and the tangs last.
I like your list. I would recommend 6 or more chromis. I have 7 for at least 6 years, and they spawn regularly. If you have only 3 or 4 they would fight constantly and you will end up with only one.
But I would avoid the powder blue. What is the foot print of your aquarium? a 125 long, 6' long, or a shorter wider one.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want blue color, and you mentioned beginner fish, you can go for damsel, they are very colorful and considered beginner,
I have an hippo tang and it goes very well with my bright yellow rabbit fish. Hippo tang are probably easier to handle than powder blue.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gobies should go first and the tangs last.
I like your list. I would recommend 6 or more chromis. I have 7 for at least 6 years, and they spawn regularly. If you have only 3 or 4 they would fight constantly and you will end up with only one.
But I would avoid the powder blue. What is the foot print of your aquarium? a 125 long, 6' long, or a shorter wider one.
It's a 6' long, so there would be ample swimming space for the tangs that like to pace the tank. Are all chromis pretty much the same temperament wise, or should I just stick with the blue/greens?

If you want blue color, and you mentioned beginner fish, you can go for damsel, they are very colorful and considered beginner,
I have an hippo tang and it goes very well with my bright yellow rabbit fish. Hippo tang are probably easier to handle than powder blue.
I originally had azure damsels on the list as well but a friend told me that his was pretty aggressive

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh snap. In that case I just might have to add one. But would they get along well with the other fish that I have in mind? Triggers are aggressive fish, no?

All depends, it’s really a crap shoot. But yes triggers are generally aggressive but I don’t think a Humu in a 125 will turn murderous. Get it small if you want one, it’s a better bet than the Powder Blue Tang for sure.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nice Humu Humu in my FOWLR tank and he is a model citizen. About the same size as "Pablo" in the video above. Gets along just fine with all of the tankmates. The Tangs I have in that tank are far more aggressive towards other fish than any of my triggers ever have been. Its a 180g bowfront.. just a bit taller and deeper than your 125

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends, it’s really a crap shoot. But yes triggers are generally aggressive but I don’t think a Humu in a 125 will turn murderous. Get it small if you want one, it’s a better bet than the Powder Blue Tang for sure.
Looks like a PBT is out for sure then, maybe I can get lucky and have the Dalai Llama of Humus. Hopefully I can add more rock in to give the others some hiding spaces.

I have a nice Humu Humu in my FOWLR tank and he is a model citizen. About the same size as "Pablo" in the video above. Gets along just fine with all of the tankmates. The Tangs I have in that tank are far more aggressive towards other fish than any of my triggers ever have been. Its a 180g bowfront.. just a bit taller and deeper than your 125
What other fish do you have in the tank with it?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back