125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First coral (GSP) added and settling in. Hopefully I'll get a pic of it open soon.
IMG_20220723_131804777.jpg
So, I'm not the only crazy out there who will add gsp.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And I just bought a set of golf clubs so now I can take my daughter golfing and actually golf! Except now my wife wants to go with me. I think I'm gonna need a bigger bag!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have 3 different types I'm trying to grow-out.
All of mine were freebies so I have no clue what variety they are. I think one is just standard but one is supposed to be a mint green. Doesn't look much different to me. They all seem to be the longer tentacle polyps.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
ooo yours are different then my three! I have no idea what a majority of my stuff is; my GSP included. disadvantage of trading with locals?
Mine has had a hard time; I defragged it and scrubbed it... surprised it lived! 2 of them were covered in flatworms. spent a time in QT and were double dipped... too impatient to wait for my iCloud to sync... no pics for you.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's interesting... My clowns hang out together all day but when the lights go out they pick opposite corners of the tank. I've never had two clownfish together before. Is this common?

On the bright side, both are eating good and looking healthy.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If they're not attacking one another you're set. Clownfish are odd. Mine swim alone all day then at night they curl up together in the corner and lay there the whole night.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If they're not attacking one another you're set. Clownfish are odd. Mine swim alone all day then at night they curl up together in the corner and lay there the whole night.
That's kind of what I figured. There were three in the tank - one was exhibiting those female tendencies, one was hanging out with her, the other was hiding in the corner. I chose the two that were together.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So should I add a Melanurus Wrasse today if he's still at the store? I've got a close to 3" deep sand bed. My main concern is a lack of pods at this point. I have plenty of frozen brine and mysids. I've also got a ton of brine shrimp eggs that hatch good when I hatch them. I've got flake, two kinds of pellets, and plenty of Reef Jerky...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another concern is that the Wrasse was about 3.5" already and my clowns are barely at an inch. I know they're generally not considered aggressive but my clowns are fairly small.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I add a Melanurus Wrasse today if he's still at the store? I've got a close to 3" deep sand bed. My main concern is a lack of pods at this point. I have plenty of frozen brine and mysids. I've also got a ton of brine shrimp eggs that hatch good when I hatch them. I've got flake, two kinds of pellets, and plenty of Reef Jerky...
What all is in the tank? Also, @Crabby48 @sfin52 @SaltyT and @i cant think should be able to give you a full rundown on melys

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What all is in the tank? Also, @Crabby48 @sfin52 @SaltyT and @i cant think should be able to give you a full rundown on melys
2 juvi Ocellaris clowns, 3 margarita snails, 2 cerith, 2 nassarius, and a stomatella snail. Eventually my Tomini Tang, Hector's Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, blue Chromis, and 3 Cardinals (2 Bangaii and 1 PJ) are getting switched over during the next couple of months.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The tank was officially put into service right about the 4th of July. The clownfish got added on Friday. I used Turbostart 900 and am dosing Substrate Sauce. My rock was fully cured and cycled before adding and the sand was mostly AragAlive with some old sand from the old 75 (6 years ago). Ammonia and Nitrite are gone. Algae has started growing but not excessively. I am running a skimmer - Bubble Magus Curve 7.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 juvi Ocellaris clowns, 3 margarita snails, 2 cerith, 2 nassarius, and a stomatella snail. Eventually my Tomini Tang, Hector's Goby, Lawnmower Blenny, blue Chromis, and 3 Cardinals (2 Bangaii and 1 PJ) are getting switched over during the next couple of months.
If your snails are mainly nocturnal then you won’t have a problem.
Halichoeres melanurus will often take out diurnal snails or snails with weak shells. I would try get some stronger shelled snails or nocturnal snails, which Cerith and Nassarius are. For stronger shells, look into the Turbo Snails and Trochus Snails, I personally go for Black Footed Trochus Snails with Halichoeres wrasses.

As for aggression with other fish, the only time these become aggressive is sometimes with other wrasses (Often when it’s with the same or similar species). For example, Melanurus and Vroliki may become aggressive to eachother or Melanurus and Argus could become aggressive with eachother. Whereas Melanurus and Iridis would most likely leave eachother alone. With two clowns the Melanurus will most likely ignore them, same with the other guys you plan to add.

With their diet, this is a MUCH easier to care for Halichoeres in which it will eat essentially anything and everything (In some cases, even algae). You shouldn’t need to try absolutely everything with them however it’s always best to give all your fish a varied diet to keep them healthy.

The only thing you’ll want to watch out for is any damage caused by the sand. Although it shouldn’t harm the fish too badly as I believe I had my Halichoeres on the same sand and had no issue before I changed over to a much finer sand (This was just due to how I have a Wrasse that shows missing scales quite easily as well as wanting a goby/shrimp pair).

I’m curious, why go for just the one wrasse and not several?

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting... My clowns hang out together all day but when the lights go out they pick opposite corners of the tank. I've never had two clownfish together before. Is this common?

On the bright side, both are eating good and looking healthy.
Mine do this… the male sleeps in the top right corner no where near the female. Also my female never lets the male in whatever she is hosting :face-with-rolling-eyes:

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your snails are mainly nocturnal then you won’t have a problem.
Halichoeres melanurus will often take out diurnal snails or snails with weak shells. I would try get some stronger shelled snails or nocturnal snails, which Cerith and Nassarius are. For stronger shells, look into the Turbo Snails and Trochus Snails, I personally go for Black Footed Trochus Snails with Halichoeres wrasses.

As for aggression with other fish, the only time these become aggressive is sometimes with other wrasses (Often when it’s with the same or similar species). For example, Melanurus and Vroliki may become aggressive to eachother or Melanurus and Argus could become aggressive with eachother. Whereas Melanurus and Iridis would most likely leave eachother alone. With two clowns the Melanurus will most likely ignore them, same with the other guys you plan to add.

With their diet, this is a MUCH easier to care for Halichoeres in which it will eat essentially anything and everything (In some cases, even algae). You shouldn’t need to try absolutely everything with them however it’s always best to give all your fish a varied diet to keep them healthy.

The only thing you’ll want to watch out for is any damage caused by the sand. Although it shouldn’t harm the fish too badly as I believe I had my Halichoeres on the same sand and had no issue before I changed over to a much finer sand (This was just due to how I have a Wrasse that shows missing scales quite easily as well as wanting a goby/shrimp pair).

I’m curious, why go for just the one wrasse and not several?
I'm planning possibly other Wrasse types like Fairy or something as well. That's just what I have currently. As far as only 1 Melanurus the store only had 1 in stock. It's $30.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning possibly other Wrasse types like Fairy or something as well. That's just what I have currently. As far as only 1 Melanurus the store only had 1 in stock. It's $30.
I more meant other wrasses as if you kept multiple mels (or even most wrasse species) you’ll most likely wind up with a bunch of males fighting it out and end up with one species.

I’d definitely get a couple Flashers and Fairies in there and maybe another Halichoeres or two along with some other species of wrasses :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back