125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
While most cowries are omnivores, it is accepted in the hobby that the Money Cowrie is an herbivore.

The Tiger Cowrie prefers a rock aquarium with hiding places. While small, it will eat some algae and scavenge for scraps, but as an adult, it will eat some anemones, sponges, and soft corals, and is best housed with starfish, sea urchins, and tubeworms in the reef aquarium.
Dude at Petco said they may start eating softies, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.
My guess is you got a Tiger?

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is you got a Tiger?
IMG_20220905_111005424.jpg

Maybe.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just looked in the 20 gallon and caught the male Convict Cichlid flaring. I don't see any nest yet but I'm guessing it's coming soon. The female's side is super gold so she's ready but the bigger male is more interested in chasing the smaller male and strutting than actually mating.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Alk - 6.7
Mag - 975
Cal - 360

Not sure how everything got so low, I only have 4 small frags in the tank. I'm going to need to test more frequently. Added some calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I'll check again in the evening hopefully to see where we're sitting. I may need a little more magnesium and possibly some more alkalinity. I added Reef Complete which is supposed to have Cal, Mag, and Strontium and also bring up alkalinity. I've got cal, mag, Strontium, and alkalinity all as separate additives as well so I can adjust individually as needed.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alk - 6.7
Mag - 975
Cal - 360

Not sure how everything got so low, I only have 4 small frags in the tank. I'm going to need to test more frequently. Added some calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I'll check again in the evening hopefully to see where we're sitting. I may need a little more magnesium and possibly some more alkalinity. I added Reef Complete which is supposed to have Cal, Mag, and Strontium and also bring up alkalinity. I've got cal, mag, Strontium, and alkalinity all as separate additives as well so I can adjust individually as needed.
Coraline algae growing?

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Coraline algae growing?
I found one tiny speck of what may be Coralline but not enough to deplete the levels. It might just be the rock I started with settling in... Who knows. I'll just keep my eyes on it, especially with the POTO corals coming tomorrow.

My salinity is staying right at 1.025.

Also, my cleaner Goby (haven't seen it since I put him in) came out to say hi today and my wrasse keeps swimming around in open water and coming over to make eye contact with me. It seems like the fish are getting settled and happy. Too bad it's almost time to mess with that and add fish...

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using again?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switching may help to bring those levels up a bit.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Switching may help to bring those levels up a bit.
Yep. The bucket is almost empty. I think everything was decent but a little low when I first set up the tank. They've gone down some but I'm also not doing water changes frequently. I do think that the salt has less cal/mag than other brands for sure. I got it for $18 for a 5 gallon bucket otherwise I wouldn't have.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. The bucket is almost empty. I think everything was decent but a little low when I first set up the tank. They've gone down some but I'm also not doing water changes frequently. I do think that the salt has less cal/mag than other brands for sure. I got it for $18 for a 5 gallon bucket otherwise I wouldn't have.
With that price, you could afford to cut it with black bucket and come out even.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, bring on the haters...

I'm thinking realllllly hard about ordering a rabbitfish. Not just any old Rabbitfish though, a Biota Golden Lined Rabbitfish. They say 6 foot tanks are good for them. I know I may run into trouble down the road and have to re-home it but...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

I'm thinking realllllly hard about ordering a rabbitfish. Not just any old Rabbitfish though, a Biota Golden Lined Rabbitfish. They say 6 foot tanks are good for them. I know I may run into trouble down the road and have to re-home it but...

It's the "may eat fleshy LPS" that has me most concerned.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

I wanted those too! at that price I say yes! just dont get any flshy LPS
hehe...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanted those too! at that price I say yes! just dont get any flshy LPS
hehe...
Oh you mean like blasto, micro, cyarina, hammer, torches, or froggies? You know, just a bunch of what I'm hoping for in the 125...
:dizzy-face:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back