125 - Took Forever But Here It is!

While most cowries are omnivores, it is accepted in the hobby that the Money Cowrie is an herbivore.


The Tiger Cowrie prefers a rock aquarium with hiding places. While small, it will eat some algae and scavenge for scraps, but as an adult, it will eat some anemones, sponges, and soft corals, and is best housed with starfish, sea urchins, and tubeworms in the reef aquarium.
Dude at Petco said they may start eating softies, so I'll have to keep an eye on that.
My guess is you got a Tiger?
 
My guess is you got a Tiger?
IMG_20220905_111005424.jpg


Maybe.
 
Just looked in the 20 gallon and caught the male Convict Cichlid flaring. I don't see any nest yet but I'm guessing it's coming soon. The female's side is super gold so she's ready but the bigger male is more interested in chasing the smaller male and strutting than actually mating.
 
Alright! My first victim in the trap. One of my Scarlett Reef hermits wandered in so into the 125 he went.
 
Brown chicken brown cow.
That's what the female thinks. The male is more interested in showing off to the other male.
 
Alk - 6.7
Mag - 975
Cal - 360

Not sure how everything got so low, I only have 4 small frags in the tank. I'm going to need to test more frequently. Added some calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I'll check again in the evening hopefully to see where we're sitting. I may need a little more magnesium and possibly some more alkalinity. I added Reef Complete which is supposed to have Cal, Mag, and Strontium and also bring up alkalinity. I've got cal, mag, Strontium, and alkalinity all as separate additives as well so I can adjust individually as needed.
 
Alk - 6.7
Mag - 975
Cal - 360

Not sure how everything got so low, I only have 4 small frags in the tank. I'm going to need to test more frequently. Added some calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity. I'll check again in the evening hopefully to see where we're sitting. I may need a little more magnesium and possibly some more alkalinity. I added Reef Complete which is supposed to have Cal, Mag, and Strontium and also bring up alkalinity. I've got cal, mag, Strontium, and alkalinity all as separate additives as well so I can adjust individually as needed.
Coraline algae growing?
 
Coraline algae growing?
I found one tiny speck of what may be Coralline but not enough to deplete the levels. It might just be the rock I started with settling in... Who knows. I'll just keep my eyes on it, especially with the POTO corals coming tomorrow.

My salinity is staying right at 1.025.

Also, my cleaner Goby (haven't seen it since I put him in) came out to say hi today and my wrasse keeps swimming around in open water and coming over to make eye contact with me. It seems like the fish are getting settled and happy. Too bad it's almost time to mess with that and add fish...
 
What salt are you using again?
 
CoralLife Marine Salt. Getting ready to buy more. I'm probably going back to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.
 
Switching may help to bring those levels up a bit.
 
Switching may help to bring those levels up a bit.
Yep. The bucket is almost empty. I think everything was decent but a little low when I first set up the tank. They've gone down some but I'm also not doing water changes frequently. I do think that the salt has less cal/mag than other brands for sure. I got it for $18 for a 5 gallon bucket otherwise I wouldn't have.
 
Yep. The bucket is almost empty. I think everything was decent but a little low when I first set up the tank. They've gone down some but I'm also not doing water changes frequently. I do think that the salt has less cal/mag than other brands for sure. I got it for $18 for a 5 gallon bucket otherwise I wouldn't have.
With that price, you could afford to cut it with black bucket and come out even.
 
Ok, bring on the haters...

I'm thinking realllllly hard about ordering a rabbitfish. Not just any old Rabbitfish though, a Biota Golden Lined Rabbitfish. They say 6 foot tanks are good for them. I know I may run into trouble down the road and have to re-home it but...

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/golden-rabbitfish
 
I wanted those too! at that price I say yes! just dont get any flshy LPS
hehe...
Oh you mean like blasto, micro, cyarina, hammer, torches, or froggies? You know, just a bunch of what I'm hoping for in the 125...
:dizzy-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new