1x Yellow Tang
1x Caribbean Pygmy Angel
1x Carpenter's Wrasse (Male)
1x Neon Cleaner Goby
1x Lemon Clown Goby
1x Yellow Watchman Goby
1x Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

In the future we'd like to try another Mandarin (our teeny Blue Mandarin didn't make it).

Are there other smallish tangs that would go with the two we have; or other bigger type fish that won't eat coral/etc.

Was thinking maybe a female Carpenter's Wrasse.

My son wants a Cowfish but I don't want to deal with the potential issues.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a couple more wrasses (leopard?) and maybe a yellow tang!

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see a beautiful fish like a blue star leopard wrasse (assuming you have sand and a lid), purple tang, or yellow eye kole! Tomini tangs are also a good option for you, as are many species of blenny! Surprised there are no blennies on your list, they’re like the puppies of aquariums! I might skip the cleaner goby until you have several large fish for it to clean (like big tangs), love the clown goby though!! There’s at least 3 different colors, my top two being the yellow and the green! I was actually about to buy a yellow but then a Madagascar coral croucher caught my eye and that was the end of that, may be a bad fit for such a large tank though because they may need to be spot fed. This tank is definitely big enough to support a mandarin and I think you should try again after about a year so your pods have time to reproduce. I’m sorry about your first mandarin :(. Good luck with your new tank!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the future we'd like to try another Mandarin (our teeny Blue Mandarin didn't make it).

Should be fine.

Are there other smallish tangs that would go with the two we have; or other bigger type fish that won't eat coral/etc.

Lavender might be a good tang for you. Other non-tangs would be any of the foxfaces (regular, one spot, bicolor, magnificent) or any of the Genicanthus angels (bellus, spot breast, lamark, watanabe, etc.)

Was thinking maybe a female Carpenter's Wrasse.

Don't do that. Wrasses don't pair long term in our tanks, as they all turn male eventually. You could add another flasher, like a yellow fin or McCosker.

My son wants a Cowfish but I don't want to deal with the potential issues.

Yeah, good choice. Don't do that.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a couple more wrasses (leopard?) and maybe a yellow tang!

We have a yellow tang now (the list above is what we have). I've read some of the "wrasse fanatic" threads here and thinking I needed more. Would a Mystery Wrasse would be compatible; we had a Mystery Wrasse in our first tank years ago and loved it.

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see a beautiful fish like a blue star leopard wrasse (assuming you have sand and a lid), purple tang, or yellow eye kole! Tomini tangs are also a good option for you, as are many species of blenny! Surprised there are no blennies on your list, they’re like the puppies of aquariums! I might skip the cleaner goby until you have several large fish for it to clean (like big tangs), love the clown goby though!! There’s at least 3 different colors, my top two being the yellow and the green! I was actually about to buy a yellow but then a Madagascar coral croucher caught my eye and that was the end of that, may be a bad fit for such a large tank though because they may need to be spot fed. This tank is definitely big enough to support a mandarin and I think you should try again after about a year so your pods have time to reproduce. I’m sorry about your first mandarin :(. Good luck with your new tank!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to my research/possibility list.

I was looking at the Coral Croucher on Live Aquaria. I thought it was cute; wife disagreed. lol

OP
OP
Morbo

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavender might be a good tang for you. Other non-tangs would be any of the foxfaces (regular, one spot, bicolor, magnificent) or any of the Genicanthus angels (bellus, spot breast, lamark, watanabe, etc.)

Don't do that. Wrasses don't pair long term in our tanks, as they all turn male eventually. You could add another flasher, like a yellow fin or McCosker.

Thanks for the info, especially about the Wrasse. Did not come across that (yet) in my reading.

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them to my research/possibility list.

I was looking at the Coral Croucher on Live Aquaria. I thought it was cute; wife disagreed. lol
He’s so dumb looking and I absolutely adore them!! Clown gobies are a good alternative because they’re easier to care for but have the same vibe

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back