Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he has learned a lot in the past 2 days. He said he is still a few months away from a tank. Imagine what all he will learn in that time. Or he will get bored with it before he even fills it. Don’t crush the boys dream.

Oh I'm not trying to crush his dreams,just making sure in the past 2 days he has learned the expenses of a reef tank.

This hobby isn't cheap,at all. Even trying to be cheap,is still expensive. We all know,very well I am sure what happens in this hobby. 1 of 3 things:

#1 you spend money on quality essential equipment one time. Have good success. (70-80% of the time this never happens)

#2 you buy cheap equipment,you don't get the results you would from a quality equipment. It breaks,you replace it,it breaks ect ect you get the concept.

#3 you buy cheap products,learn a lesson and then spend double the money replacing the item when instead you would have saved enough buying good the first time and can save for that beloved favorite frag you have been drooling over. Or that new fancy dancy led light that you desperately need. Or things like filter media,salt,test kits ect ect ect.

Also,2 days it not nearly enough time. I have been in the hobby 12 years and I am still learning... There is no overnight success in this hobby.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s just me but I feel like donating a rodi to this kid is sending the wrong message to people who have done research and actually appreciate the help they get. Like I said though maybe that’s just me...
I agree.

Also, it’s not my deal, and it’s really none of my business, but I can’t not mention how uncomfortable this whole donation thing is making me. Its not the donation itself, its the whole scheme to try and get it past his mom. IMO, anything other than the mother knowing exactly what the situation is, and being 100% honest and transparent about how this donation came about, is unacceptable. If the site wants to facilitate sending or forwarding it, great (or there are even third party package forwarding services), but these fake offer-up or Amazon wishlist ideas are beyond sketchy. If his mom’s not on board with it, knowing fully what the situation is, then it should be a no go.

Also, I can’t say that I don’t find it a little gross to be plotting how you’re going to trade off this gift someone is giving you. I mean, once someone gives you something, it’s yours to do with it as you please, but it just strikes me as kind of rude to be scheming how you can trade this gift for something else in front of the person who’s giving it to you (and they probably don’t even care if you trade it, but it’s the principle, it’s just bad form and comes across as ungrateful). I don’t know, maybe I’m overthinking it, but the direction this thread is going just weirded me out a little bit.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I also feel uncomfortable with this whole deal, I get the impression of lies and deceitful actions. I have to agree with Bribo 12 and Max tremors.
I know he's learned a few things in 2 days, but he's also been rude.

Not something I think should be rewarded.
If he actually sets up a tank I hope he succeeds.
Just my 2 cents.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowledge is probably the best gift one can receive. Yet, many of these gifts have been shunned over the last week. Pages and pages of kindness(and some tough love lol).

As I grow older, I've been realizing how fulfilling it is to give to others, and their gratitude increases that feeling and makes me want to keep giving more. But, when met with indifference, or thanklessness, it starts to put a sour taste in one's mouth. I have a nephew that asked for help with a car recently. He then proceeded to list what he would/would not drive. It was a ridiculous list to say the least. Long story short, he still doesn't have a car(couldn't find anyone willing to help given his demands). A friend of my daughter on the other hand, had been walking to their job for weeks while saving for a car. That kid comes from a broken home and has no guidance about vehicles or anything really. We helped locate some sound vehicles in their budget and facilitated a purchase. No money, just time given, and they were in tears over the assistance.
As much as I like to help, I try to give to those that can benefit the most. A hand up not out. I've watched for days up here in the peanut gallery like many others, and as humorous and insightful all of this has been, hundreds of pages of aimlessness banter has gotten out of hand imo. I'm sure it has taken away from many individuals who are sincerely struggling starting or maintaining their current tanks. To keep enabling this is kind of insanity.
I wish nothing but the best for whichever tank is selected to succeed beyond all expectations, but it seems some bad precedents are being achieved here. I have a tremendous admiration for everyone who has given so much of their time the last week trying to offer some guidance. And it's next level to offer equipment for this journey. It saddens me that the gravity of all of this amazing support is seemingly going unappreciated for the most part. To each their own though.
Give the man(or woman) a fish tank, fish may live a week. Teach them how to care for the tank, fish may live a long happy life ! I'll see myself back to the peanut gallery now. Happy reefing everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice choice on the tank, following. :)

Thanks for your question on my Evo journal @NoahLikesFish and your base plan to start off sounds good to me.
I didn't fully respond to your question, you can't do a tank like mine for a few years but you can start it properly and learn as it matures, like I said on my journal, patience!

DSC_0008 (4) (1024x713).jpg

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bubble Magus 5 might be small but it's way too big for a Evo 13.5. It won't fit in the AIO chamber and would take up about 1/4 of the display if you put it in there! In fact, you don't even need a skimmer on an Evo.

If money is an issue then he shouldn't be thinking about Kessils, AI Prime, powerheads etc. You can make a chamber basket out of egg crate. The stock LED is fine to start with (add a cheap Nicrew timer from Amazon). I have a Sicce 0.5 return pump and VCA RFG and that is enough flow to start with.

You can get the tank equipment for less than $200 ready to go. The bigger cost (which I have just been through) is the 'extras', such as rock, salt, RODI, test kits, cleaning tools, food, filter media, medications/dips etc.

I would buy the 'extras' first before worrying about LEDs, powerheads and skimmers.
I was gonna trade the skimmer for a prime or kessil

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know any corals besides gorgs and zoas that live in the carribean? I am psyched on the live rubble because I could rinse all the polychates crabs starfish and things just by placing the rocks in the flow and then I can do a nsa scape
Some types of mushrooms and RFAs. I want SPS but they’re illegal to collect or keep so I’m going to the legal close relatives of what I can’t have.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I also feel uncomfortable with this whole deal, I get the impression of lies and deceitful actions. I have to agree with Bribo 12 and Max tremors.
I know he's learned a few things in 2 days, but he's also been rude.

Not something I think should be rewarded.
If he actually sets up a tank I hope he succeeds.
Just my 2 cents.
That’s a bit contradictive. “I know he’s learning, but he’s been rude.” You did see him apologize right? He’s making progress and that’s what matters.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to sleep and come back to this?

didn’t think offering to help someone because I’m local would be viewed as enabling or something. Especially in THIS forum.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not, any online contest would sound like a scam to her, she’s the kinda person who signed up for a free iPhone 1000$ Amazon gift card things and learned the hard way :eek:
My mom is the same way, so when anyone was gonna give me stuff then I got it sent to my grandma’s cause she doesn’t care then she brought it to me. Maybe you could do something similar?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also,2 days it not nearly enough time. I have been in the hobby 12 years and I am still learning... There is no overnight success in this hobby.
Yeah so we should encourage him to start so that he can begin learning just like the rest of us are. It doesn’t have to be overnight success, it’s most likely gonna be a learning curve like it has been for so many of us.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 120+ pages of trying to be helpful and supportive. The truth is he has seemed like he’s learned and changed his whole outlook which is great! No one is taking that away from him. Seems like he actually has a decent plan now.
However that doesn’t change the fact that it took over almost 100 pages of people offering helpful suggestions and advice and it falling on deaf ears. The first 3 days he was posting was a mess. I guess I’m not saying it’s enabling, it just makes me a little sad that I see so many help threads with one or two responses or none but yet this is the thread ppl are reaching out and offering stuff to. Let’s not forget this whole thing started with a thread titled budget reef.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 120+ pages of trying to be helpful and supportive. The truth is he has seemed like he’s learned and changed his whole outlook which is great! No one is taking that away from him. Seems like he actually has a decent plan now.
However that doesn’t change the fact that it took over almost 100 pages of people offering helpful suggestions and advice and it falling on deaf ears. The first 3 days he was posting was a mess. I guess I’m not saying it’s enabling, it just makes me a little sad that I see so many help threads with one or two responses or none but yet this is the thread ppl are reaching out and offering stuff to. Let’s not forget this whole thing started with a thread titled budget reef.
But he has gotten better and he is now receptive to advice and he is listening. Yeah he might not have been listening at first but now he is. That’s the point. He’s made progress. Give him the credit he deserves for that. It is sad other help threads get two responses but look at how much help he’s getting, shouldn’t we be happy about how much support he’s getting?

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But he has gotten better and he is now receptive to advice and he is listening. Yeah he might not have been listening at first but now he is. That’s the point. He’s made progress. Give him the credit he deserves for that. It is sad other help threads get two responses but look at how much help he’s getting, shouldn’t we be happy about how much support he’s getting?
I 100% agree with you. We should be happy and I am. He’s listened and now has a pretty good plan for a tank.
I guess the way I see it is are you gonna buy your kid ice cream if they listened to you and did what you asked right away or are you going to buy them ice cream if they second guess you, talk back and throw a fit before they finally listen? Which one sends a better message. That’s the main issue I have with giving him a free $200 plus item. But at the end of the day I’m not the one giving it to him and I’m just one small poster on this forum. I’ll be here for the whole build thread either way I’m just stating my .02.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 100% agree with you. We should be happy and I am. He’s listened and now has a pretty good plan for a tank.
I guess the way I see it is are you gonna buy your kid ice cream if they listened to you and did what you asked right away or are you going to buy them ice cream if they second guess you, talk back and throw a fit before they finally listen? Which one sends a better message.
But he apologized for it, he realized he had done wrong and he felt bad and apologized for it. He’s improving and I think that’s something that can be rewarded.

Reactions: LRT
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so bad, I don’t want to just say “I don’t want this” for a whole skimmer and a rodi but I don’t want to just take it either. I’m really thankful you all are helping me but I don’t know how to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry but I feel like these days,regardless if its reefing or everyday life I just feel like everyone is just looking for a handout anywhere they can. Don't want to work for anything.

I'm sorry again,but if you can't afford the things you want,you don't need it. Yet again,enabling everywhere I look and it just saddens me.

Y'all can get mad all you want,but 90% of you know its the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back