140 gallon fowlr stocking

Jsquarz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting up a 140 gallon tank and it’s almost cycled(per tests) and I think I got my list together so here it is

snowflake eel
Purple tang
Fox face
Red coris wrasse
Flame angle
Starry blenny
3 lyretail anthias
2 zebra barred

inverts/ cleanup crew

sand sifting starfish
5 Mexican turbo snails
10 trochus snails
4 red tuxedo urchins

any thoughts on the list are welcome.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you are missing CUC members to clean up after the eel. A Snowflake in a 150 will get HUGE, easily 3-feet or more. And they are messy eaters that shred their food, leaving bits and pieces everywhere.
I am fond of the Molly Miller Blenny.

You do have three Lyretails and two Zebras for consuming the larger leftovers.

With this being a FOWLR, you could also include a Valentini Puffer. They're very interesting carnivore fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jsquarz

Jsquarz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure
IMO you are missing CUC members to clean up after the eel. A Snowflake in a 150 will get HUGE, easily 3-feet or more. And they are messy eaters that shred their food, leaving bits and pieces everywhere.
I am fond of the Molly Miller Blenny.

You do have three Lyretails and two Zebras for consuming the larger leftovers.

With this being a FOWLR, you could also include a Valentini Puffer. They're very interesting carnivore fish.
the puffer won’t eat the the snails or pick on any other fish. Have heard stories of them becoming aggressive and picking at other fish fins. Also totally wiping out cuc

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 140 just isn’t a very good size for a FOWLR tbh, usually FOWLR tanks that look pretty are larger ones that can hold lots of fish. Since FOWLR tanks often have a higher density of fish than reefs (though I’ve seen plenty of heavily stocked reefs), good filtration is mandatory. A 140 depending on dimensions may be able to accommodate a Snowflake Eel, but Eels as a whole are predators and big-time carnivores. Some take to pellets but they’ll most likely need regular feedings of fresh food to be healthy. Not to mention they pollute the water with the amount of waste they produce as well as their diet, and although Snowflakes are widely reputed as one of the best Eels for the home aquarium, an overexcited Eel during feeding may well decide to “accidentally” take a chunk out of anything that’s bite sized.

I am not sure about the Red Coris Wrasse, but they are on the large side if I’m correct. The rest looks fine to me, I’d actually swap out the Eel for maybe another Tang or Angel of some kind. Maybe both?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back