14g AIO Mixed Reef, 2 years later

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Sharing my 14g AIO SPS reef which actually started in a 7g ADA 30C almost 2 years ago.

Here it is at various timepoints in history.

30C ADA using a canister filter.
Day 1 (7/2019):
IMG_1572.JPG

Day 180 (2/2020):
IMG_2013.jpg

Now (2/2021) :
IMG_2750.JPG

I'm currently remodeling the RHS of the tank. I have some orange monticap sitting on the sand in the back to sit in the empty space where the stylo used to be. just need to part ways with the xenia rock.
IMG_2754.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now the tank is operating pretty simply using 2-part ESV (40mL/day of half strength to improve accuracy). Is 20mL of ESV alk in 14g a lot? Top off is done automagically using the doser instead of an ATO and the top off water is spiked with some KNO3 and KH2PO4. Gets reef energy AB+ as frequently as I can remember. Not only am I running skimmerless and no ATO on a nano reef, I'm breaking rules with the fish too. Current fishes are two notorious bullies: a diadem dottyback and a YTD living great together for the past 6 months now. They've each found their own spots.

Guts of the tank are quite simple:
IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2756.JPG

Lights are 2x Kessil A80 @ Max and 1x Prime 16HD @ 50W. So a ton of light at the apex of the tank. Equipment are mostly cheap, coral box wifi doser, jebao pump. Didn't skimp on the bayite temperature controller that I rewired with a plastic thermocouple though as it's used for cooling and heating. IceCap backup power also an absolute requirement where I live.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a small picture of how the tank is going. Had a few crashes due to power outage and dosing pump failure but things are growing pretty fine otherwise! Goni and Acan have doubled in size at least...other SPS have been slow to grow except my montiporas and acro tortuosa. Lesson learned though: spend extra for the dosing pump! Currently running the new redsea ReefDose 4.
Attachment-1 (2).jpeg
IMG_3126.JPG

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also got rid of the xenia as it was causing my nutrients to bottom to 0. Instead of low nutrients/dino though, I ended up getting cyano which I'm happy with. It's easy to control in a small tank.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention the main change to this tank since the last photo was switching to a red sea reef dose pump. I love it for the price. Way better than the coral box in every way: controllability, accuracy, and reliability. No stupid backsiphon or check valves. Since then, my alk has been completely steady at 7-8 dkH. I like it so much I bought a second one for the freshwater tank!

Also migrated all the lights to kessil. Running 2xA80 and 1x 360x.. on the kessil controller. The light is much more uniform now.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to use the steel parrotfish on the spongodes again. The acro puts up a good fight but just gets overtopped! Wish I only kept acros on the main rock at this point!

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora spongodes just never stops growing. Tank is going strong still...almost 4 years now in this SPS reef :).
IMG_3569.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back