14g Rimless Cube

PNW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 14g Rimless Cube. Its still a work in progress, its my first ever saltwater tank. I started it in June of 2020. I run two Aquaclear 30 HOB for filtration. the intake sponges handle mechanical, the one on the left has chemipure elite for chemical filtration, the one on the right has an Intank Aquatics insert and functions as a mini refugium. its currently growing chaeto and a bunch of stuff that it shouldnt be lol. I use aquavitro salinity salt and I have an RO/DI unit for water changes.

Stocking:
Wyoming White Clown
Ruby Long Fin Fairy Wrasse
Purple Foot BTA

Coral:
Bizzaro Cyphastrea (want it to encrust the pile of snail shells)
GSP

CUC:
Cleaner Shrimp
3 Astrea Snails
Emerald Crab
3 Bumblebee Snails

Its been a fun process, but I have definitely have a lot to learn about keeping things balanced and stable. I had a massive red cyano breakout and there are currently vermetid snails all over.

FTS 02_10_2020a.jpg

OP
OP
P

PNW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can dig it! Good placement for the gsp. I like the fairy wrasse. Fun way to grow out the Cyphastrea, do you have other coral in mind as the tank grows?

I need to glue the shells together for it to really work I think. I’m excited to see how it looks once it’s all covered :)

As for more corals, I’m not really sure yet tbh. I have a 29g biocube as well that’s newer than the 14g cube that has an orange mushroom and a zoa covered rock in it. I tried a goniapora and green pocillapora but they both died sadly. The goniopora is technically not totally dead but I don’t see it coming back. Lessons learned!

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! You are having no problem getting good Coralline coverage, usually a good sign. Very pretty anemone!

You can go into your reef2reef profile "Account Settings" page and add your build tread web address here to the field, "R2R Tank Thread Link" so that you have a build link/button show up right under your tagline, as is shown in mine to the left. Makes it easier for people to view your ongoing build. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

PNW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What levels are you currently testing for, and how often?

Ive been testing my salinity daily since I don’t have an ATO unfortunately. I keep a bunch of 1 liter Fiji filled with rodi water for regular top offs.

I also test my nitrate and phosphate weekly to see how large of a water change is needed. In typically do a 2.5 gallons change on the weekend, with a small single Fiji bottle change mid week to keep alk, calcium, mag levels stable since I don’t test for them. I tested calcium once and it was off the scale high. I know, I should be testing more stuff

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s doing very well for a 14 g.
dkh would be a good thing to test for if you plan on going the stony coral route. You’re doing a great job with the tank so far! Keep up the good work. I have heard that goniopora can be finicky.

OP
OP
P

PNW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s doing very well for a 14 g.
dkh would be a good thing to test for if you plan on going the stony coral route. You’re doing a great job with the tank so far! Keep up the good work. I have heard that goniopora can be finicky.

The Goniapora it’s making a feeble attempt at a comeback in my 29g biocube. This 14g has a cheaper fluval nano sea light, whereas the 29g biocube has an ai prime hd. I plan on having stony corals in that one, this 14g tank is better for coral with lower light requirements.

thanks for the encouragement :) I’m only one year into keeping an aquarium, a year ago I setup a freshwater planted fluval flex 9g which has been doing awesome. Just 4 months later I decided what the heck and dove into a nano salt tank as a total novice haha.

F94B34C5-5A40-4EBC-A4A6-7DDD0A736E16.jpeg

OP
OP
P

PNW Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you still have your planted tank up and running? I started off keeping dwarf freshwater shrimp and still love my planted tanks almost as much as the reef.
I do have it up still! I’ve considered converting it to sw but having the variety is nice. It’s super low maintenance. I literally have only added food, potassium, iron, and top off water for the last 6 months. No water changes lol. Second picture is more recent. I haven’t don’t any trimming and I’ve been super lazy. If you’d like so bacopa Caroliniana then let me know haha.

1A3FFA78-7C24-4CB6-879D-236CB6B0DF62.jpeg
D661AB13-4569-4669-B8F5-FFCB1493F2D6.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%
Back