150 Stocking Plan

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve setup a 6’ 150 gallon tank and it time to finalize the fish. Ive never had anything this large so I want to make sure I’m not overstocked or if there’s room for anything else. Thanks in advance.
Existing:
Clowns x 2
Yellow Watchman Goby
Diamond Goby
Blue Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Tomini Tang
Planned:
Fairy Wrasse x 3
Melanurus Wrasse
Anthias x 3
Flame hawk (maybe)

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good to me. Just keep in mind that the hawkfish might eat shrimp, and the hippo tang could potentially outgrow the tank. Also, not all species of fairy wrasse will do well together. The chart provided below should tell you which can go in the same tank with minimal squabbling. I hope that this helps!

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks good to me. Just keep in mind that the hawkfish might eat shrimp, and the hippo tang could potentially outgrow the tank. Also, not all species of fairy wrasse will do well together. The chart provided below should tell you which can go in the same tank with minimal squabbling. I hope that this helps!

Thanks for the response. The hippo came with the tank and I’m hoping I’ll upgrade to an 8’ tank before he gets too big. Since my wife has always wanted a hippo it seems like the perfect excuse to upgrade when the time comes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will say, the chart is guidelines which can be bent. It isn’t recommended to bend the guidelines if you want a peaceful group of wrasses though. If you would like to have advice on bending them I can try to help (I’ve bent the guidelines several times in my own collection).

The rest should be alright as the flame hawk has the same chance of going for small shrimp as the melanurus does.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add for anyone that might be curious I spent hours on the wrasse chart and guidelines picking the most compatible groups for a fairy wrasse tank and about half killed the other half so it’s not 100%. Perhaps I was just unlucky.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add for anyone that might be curious I spent hours on the wrasse chart and guidelines picking the most compatible groups for a fairy wrasse tank and about half killed the other half so it’s not 100%. Perhaps I was just unlucky.
Fish are like humans. lots of different demeanors

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish has its own personality, and if you go for wrasses on the opposite side of the chart from eachother, it could potentially go alright but multiple from the same side of the chart may kill eachother off. It’s always going to be risky but again, the chart is purely just guidelines that can be bent or changed.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish has its own personality, and if you go for wrasses on the opposite side of the chart from eachother, it could potentially go alright but multiple from the same side of the chart may kill eachother off. It’s always going to be risky but again, the chart is purely just guidelines that can be bent or changed.

Yeah was a thousand dollar lesson I was hoping perhaps the chart was more foolproof, but hey, that’s reefing! After a couple years it was down to a pintail only.

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an Exquisite and Kathrines wrasse yesterday. For one of a number of reasons the exquisite wrasse died in quarantine in less than six hours. Based on what y’all have said I think I’m going to stick with one fairy wrasse and call it a day.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, based on "the chart" my Blue throat wrasse should be an unholy terror. Biggest tank required, and red on the chart. He gets bullied by my Solar and Orange backed. My Equisite and Naoko arent anywhere near each other on the chart and they spend half the day circling each other flashing like crazy. But luckily nobody has done any major damage to each other, just some mild to moderate chasing.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all the wrasse comments I think my six line will stay solo. Was toying with the idea of getting a fairy wrasse but since the tank is topless it would likely be on the floor if the six line went all ******.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading all the wrasse comments I think my six line will stay solo. Was toying with the idea of getting a fairy wrasse but since the tank is topless it would likely be on the floor if the six line went all ******.
I have a sixline, melanarus, yellow coris, bicolor cleaner, blue star leopard and lubbock's fairy all happily co-existing. And the parrotfish. The size of your tank and how you aquascape has more influence with compatibility than any chart.

And at the end of the day, fish that supposedly don't get along - do (and vice-versa).

Most peaceful fish in my tank: sixline wrasse
Biggest jerk fish: cleaner wrasse (towards new non-wrasses)
Fish that give no F's: wrasses

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline, melanarus, yellow coris, bicolor cleaner, blue star leopard and lubbock's fairy all happily co-existing. And the parrotfish. The size of your tank and how you aquascape has more influence with compatibility than any chart.

And at the end of the day, fish that supposedly don't get along - do (and vice-versa).

Most peaceful fish in my tank: sixline wrasse
Biggest jerk fish: cleaner wrasse (towards new non-wrasses)
Fish that give no F's: wrasses
They are like humans, my six line can be a dick

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, everyone keeps relating these sixline horror stories. Mine have been awesome!
He’s not that way always. Just gets in a mood. Had him bow up to a big Purple Tang a while back.

Then again maybe he is a she and that may explain the mood swings…

….ducks and hides…

OP
OP
jwwoodjr

jwwoodjr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a six line in my 28 JBJ nanocube and he was moved to my 20 cube when I tore the JBJ down. He’s never been a problem even when I introduced fish that were smaller.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back