15g column reef tank

Jesse O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first ever saltwater tank (pic below) was an Aqueon 15g column tank. I got it from some family who were moving and had to sell it. The tank has to be at least 6 years old now because when I got it they said they had it for 2 years; I've had it 4 years. Needless to say it's gone through probably 4 or 5 iterations now throughout the time that I've had it. Currently it has 2 clownfish and a royal gramma along with some nassarius snails, coral, and cleaner shrimp. I'll upload a photo of the tanks current condition tomorrow as its kind of dirty at the moment :p.

Equipment I'm using: Fluval Aquaclear 50, Aqueon 100w heater, Hydor koralia 240, and an Aqueon Planted Aquarium clip-on LED light

1524606761040.jpg

Edit: Here are some current pictures of the tank.

- There's a Royal Gramma in there but he wouldn't come out, you can kind of see him in the second picture.

IMG_10281.jpg

IMG_10321.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jesse O.

Jesse O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping for the new year to add new lighting and maybe a new pump to the tank! Lately it's been having an aiptasia problem and it's spreading. I'm using Aiptasia-X but it doesn't seem to be working anymore, I think they might have become immune to it.

Simsung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! My GF has a similar dimensions tank which she may be upgrading soonish.

How bad is your aiptasia problem and whats your livestock? Two peppermint shrimp did a flawless job in my tank getting rid of it.

OP
OP
Jesse O.

Jesse O.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! My GF has a similar dimensions tank which she may be upgrading soonish.

How bad is your aiptasia problem and whats your livestock? Two peppermint shrimp did a flawless job in my tank getting rid of it.
Cool! I think it's a nice tank also, I like the way it visually appeals. The aiptasia started on just the top most rock and has now spread to another rock. I have 3 fish (2 clowns, 1 gramma), 1 cleaner shrimp, 4 nassarius snails, and some coral (xenia colony, GSP colony, and a small green candy cane). I'm starting to get worried because the gramma was stung by one of the larger aiptasia and almost died. He was laying on the sandbed by the front of the tank for about a week. Luckily he made a good recovery and is now back to normal. I really need to find a solution to this soon, I will have to look into getting a peppermint shrimp or 2, I forgot they ate aiptasia.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back