Sump: 40g Breeder with baffles. 7" filter sock
Refugium light: Acke 24w
ATO: Autotopoff.com double float switch (for redundancy), 20H tank as reservoir
Return Pump: Jebao DCP 6500
Skimmer: Simplicity 240DC (not yet run)
Circulation: Jebao OW-25, SCP-120
Heater: 2x 200w, 1x 300w cheap heaters
Controller: Inkbird ITC-308
Doser: Jebao DP4 (Offline through cycle)

Livestock:

DT:

90lbs of dry rock
4.5lbs of live rock (seeding)
120lbs of live sand
10lbs dry rock in sump
small ball of chaeto in sump
2 mangroves in sump

Fish:

6x blue-green Chromis
2x YWG - I've had these guys for 18 months or so. 4" each

Inverts:

1x Tiger pistol shrimp - about 2.5"
Stomatella snail - saw one on the live rock.
2x Asterina stars - I threw these in from another tank. hoping they multiply.

QT/Other Tanks

2x Picasso clowns
2x Pajama Cardinalfish
1x Banggai Cardinalfish
1x Blue Hippo Tang
1x McCoskers Wrasse - I think this guy is my favorite and is the super genius (relative to fish).
1x Royal Gramma
1x Mandarin Goby
1x Tailspot Blenny
1x sailfin tang
1x Powder Blue Tang
1x flame angel
1x foxface lo

Coral/nems coming over from other tanks:

3x RBTA
1x Green BTA
2x Maxi Mini (if i can coax them out)
10-15 types of zoas.
Frogspawn, Hammers, couple colors of torches
Nice Acan mini colony
Monti Caps - Green & Red
A few acros

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm trying to upload about 100 photos. Rockwork used fiberglass driveway marker rods for support. I've always liked minimal rockwork rather than the "pile-o-rocks" look.

A good chunk of the small pieces will come off, i was just seeding the dry rock.

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - so this is my first big tank! Started with dry rock, seeded with some live. So far I've added tisbe pod cultures and coralline in a bottle. Tank has been up about 3 weeks. Time for a photo dump

Plumbing in place. It has 3x drains, 1x full siphon, one backup, then a third pointing up as an e-drain. 1.25" plumbing. The person i bought the tank from had it plumbed through their floor, but i was able to cut it up/replace some joints to save having to purchase new gate valves.

AxqYdwO.jpg

Figuring out sump
urfk5tV.jpg

leak testing
wXm6Hqj.jpg

15g ATO reservoir with top. later replaced with 20g (today).
2uDKaPV.jpg

m0o7QxE.jpg

moderate cable management:
VJoYxyS.jpg

Built a frame for the lights
vbB2YTK.jpg

xYDmHz3.jpg

Screen top:
kkT4irF.jpg

Skin in front

kHUOpjQ.jpg

20H ATO reservoir in place. Think this gives me a bit over 2 weeks. sump can take it, although i would not want it to dump all at once. the failsafe float switch gives me some comfort.
aHtsWMh.jpg

Control panel. Everything else is wired into 2x smart outlet strips, so i have the lights set on a timer that way, and can turn things off for WC.
zMDQkE3.jpg

Tore apart the fixtures, added 240x80mm heatsinks, replaced fans initially with arctic f8 standard, then f8 silent (and they are now).

Fqe2gZb.jpg

TzHS10J.jpg

BlMDeYs.jpg

Part of the QT setup, and some inhabitants
TVAzpRR.jpg

ncUdawH.jpg

AMj6xIj.jpg

Ft9j1Dg.jpg

TVAzpRR.jpg

3MixMqg.jpg

g5wewcB.jpg

5RD2sMJ.jpg

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, lost a chromis today. He went down the overflow, and I have the gate valve turned down a bit. When I couldn't find him I opened it up fully and he had what looked like a broken spine and could not swim. I euthanized him :(

What can I do to prevent this? My overflow is just a plain box. I could try lowering my return pump, but then definitely nothing is getting through the gate valve. I worry mess over the top will just cause a fish to be trapped out of water.

The space is quite narrow so it seems to only be a risk for the baby chromis.

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
az0HBcX.jpg

The YWG love the big tank and are voracious eaters. This is before they were fed.

Fat or pregnant?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He went down the overflow,
What can I do to prevent this? My overflow is just a plain box. I could try lowering my return pump, but then definitely nothing is getting through the gate valve.

Would you be able to put something in front of the holes of the drain pipe? White over head light grid? Maybe something smaller like Plastic Canvas? Plastic Canvas is a great thing if the mesh is to tight you can open it up and still get the benefit of blocking the holes.

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be able to put something in front of the holes of the drain pipe? White over head light grid? Maybe something smaller like Plastic Canvas? Plastic Canvas is a great thing if the mesh is to tight you can open it up and still get the benefit of blocking the holes.
Thanks for the reply! I ended up wrapping 1/4" mesh around the overflow lid (which has 3/4" risers, so did not block any on its own)
sUiIOKc.jpg

This should get them through their tiny stages!

Tank update:

I got my reefcleaners package, and i should have gotten an even smalelr one. there were probably 150 baby cerith in the package. I probably have 500 snails in the tank! I did get some good algae growth before, which they have been diligently working on.

here are some of the RFAs I got in:
ViPqIV5.jpg

They mostly stayed put, but a handful crawled under the rocks and mostly buried themselves. I hope by getting 8 i'll get good breeding of them.

GDBq2yV.jpg

Here's QT2: Everyone enjoying a nori snack!
kT7goKO.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved a bunch of fish up over the last week or so! I don't give them a full 72 day fallow period, but observe and they have been getting 4+ weeks of QT.

Also ordered some more frogspawn (this stuff is doing great in my evo 13.5, so i bought 12 more heads from the same seller). That is gluedonto the middle rock. also got my 4 quadricolor BTAs in on the rightmost island. will be adding a few more colors of nems, maybe maxi minis.

Moved a ton of frags over - getting the evo ready for a dwarf angler.

Stocking wise this is pretty close to full - i've got a kole eye tang in QT, and kind of want to add a CBB, but otherwise will just be a few more small wrasses, maybe a pair of dartfish. I know it's heavy stocking, but I don't care! Everyone is happy and swimming together, and when i think about heavy stocking in a 30g or 20L (4-6 fish not uncommon), and extrapolate to a 175 this doesn't seem that outrageous.

0keR6gp.jpg

ugdsXYA.jpg

9Jw10CX.jpg

5jVtpc6.jpg

wBbE3az.jpg

sDctkzf.jpg

L4m32NF.jpg

YSUQlh0.jpg

CmPTQIO.jpg

7uW3b6J.jpg

OP
OP
A

asting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had the first major fiasco. The plexi sump walls i cut must have been a little tight because my back pane cracked. I noticed a pint nor so of water under the tank. Applied silicone to the crack best I could and bought a new sump and cut new walls (thinner this time). Over the next two days. I lost maybe half a gallon?

I swapped the sump last night (took about two hours) and did a 10g water change. All looks well again.

I used this opportunity to also relocate my dosing line holder to the side.

I also think I need to cut my drain pipes a little shorter so that the siphon restarts more easily.

Tonight I'll be moving my torches and hammers over and this weekend will start monitoring all, mag, and calcium for dosing. I'm just planning on using non reefing additives (baking soda, Epsom salt, etc) based on a guide I read, and may use the fourth doser part for trace elements. Any suggestions on brand?

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back