180 Reef Tank Build

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’ll start a thread so I can get some answers since I lerk around here all day and never post anything. Been out of the scene for about 15 years. Had some 55 gallon saltwater tanks back then nothing really fancy and spendy though. I’ve always wanted a big reef tank and now that me and family are all cozy in the house figured I would start a dream of mine. Plus my wife and kids love watching fish in tanks.

So here’s the good stuff.

Found a 180 glass tank on Craigslist. Silicone not in great shape but glass was all good. I tore down the tank and re silicone everything. Had no bracing so I did euro style and made a top and bottom cover that will rest on stand and will hold up canopy. Overflow on the back with 4 holes for drains and then 2 holes on back wall for returns. 1 big hole in the middle back wall for circulation pump drain with two on the bottom for return for circulation pump.

I built the stand from 1.5” tube stock and made the covers to hide everything. Side one is hindged and hold apex and all electronics. Front panel is held on by magnets so i can remove it and use as a shield from kids/dogs.

75 gallon sump I put buffles in with a skimmer section then bubble trap and return. 2 drains from overflow feed the skimmer section bean animal style. 3rd drain being a emergency drain that will splash water down into return section and will be loud. Refugium on other side of return that is fed from overflows 4th drain.

Octopus 202-s skimmer with 8” cup

BRS dual reactor with pump which is located in return section.

200lbs of nature’s ocean rock from amazon. Dry dead man made rock. Rubble and small pieces went in Refugium

200lbs of caribsea special grade live sand. 2” in DT and 4” in Refugium

Jebao 8000 one for return running at 75% and one for circulation pump running at 100% for now

Jebao 40s Wavemaker one on each side of back wall crossing paths over the middle of front glass. Controlled from apex. Have them on opposite wave patterns.

Apex programmer with ATO. Also will me using PMUP to do water changes as behind tank is laundry room with 50 gals of saltwater storage. Have 16 gallon slim trash can in the stand for top off storage.

BRS 4 stage 200gpd rodi filter

Pedy titanium 300w heaters.

Cheap LED lights for now will be going coral lights prob aqua mars and making them dimmer able from apex.

Boring stuff ......

I finished the tank stand and sump and made sure it all held water. Pumps were mocked up and some plumbing done. After I made sure it held water I painted the back of the glass black and put it in its place. Cleaned and put rock where i liked and filled with rodi water. Mix in my instant ocean salt and had power heads, pumps, empty reactors, and skimmer running. Left it overnight to make sure everything settled. After everything was good to go I added sand using pvc tube and funnel did not help with cloudy water. Took a good day for sand to settle. Water set for 86 degrees and started adding ace ammonia. Went to 5ppm and checked it everyday. When I saw ammonia drop below 1ppm I would put it back up to 3-4 ppm. Took about 1 week then tank could process 4 ppm ammonia in 12 hrs. Now I add 1-2 ppm ammonia a day one to keep bacteria alive and two to check to see how fast the tank can process nitrite. This is where I am now as the tank can process off the chart ARI test chart nitrite to 0 ppm I’m 24hrs. Trying to get it to process 1-2 ppm ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 12 hrs then I’ll have to deal with nitrate problem. Which I’ll be doing a large water change 50-75% and also adding cheato and give tank a week or so then another water change to get nitrate down below 10ppm.

Now the questions.

After tanks bacteria and water is where I want I’ll be adding CUC which I haven’t nailed down what I want yet. John from reefcleaners gave me some ideas. I like everything. Stars. Snails. Crabs. Cucumbers. Shrimp. The works I want a little of everything and also never owning coral before I don’t know what kind I like really. Only LFS around me is petco and Petsmart. There are a couple fish stores but when I finally caught them when they are open and walked in I wouldn’t let any of my kids walking in there. They were bad. So online ordering is why I’ll have to do. As for fish really just want family tank. All friendly community fish. Daughter really wants dory and Nemo. Other then that just been looking at your guys tanks and looking up fish. Really anything colorful and peaceful. I’m more about the stuff that makes my life easier. Gotta love those little guys. Pistol shrimp and watchman seem like they are fun to watch. So......

What would be a good starter CUC?
Anyone wanna help me with stocking list with stocking order?
What are your guys favorite coral and why? (Give me something to research as I wasn’t planning on adding coral till later cause I’m still learning)

Sorry so long but I’ve read some of your guys and love hear as much details as possible. Helped me and maybe this will help someone.

Thanks

2826E6E1-FFBF-45D8-BFBE-24A4C94BACEA.jpeg

3E043DBC-0945-4738-8DC9-E79C451A2A1F.jpeg

3CEAB0DD-40B6-451D-B59D-509B3407B5BA.jpeg

01FF6BE7-EB4B-4B1C-ACD9-69D306CB8F3B.jpeg

DB4F91A7-D575-4565-803D-A74BA523327C.jpeg

OP
OP
K

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef. Will start off as FOWLR then when I know all levels are good and I feel comfortable with coral. Still have a lot to read. Also need to look to see what kind I’m a fan of. But I’m sure I’ll have a little of each. Thanks for checking my build out

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, similar build too. I had to replace my front panel due to heavy and deep scratches. One recommendation ill make is that the 2 mandated fish your getting for your daughter are both at least semi aggressive. Be aware of that , and add fish that are compatible . I had 4 clowns who eventually killed each other after killing about 5 other fish. I now have zero clowns.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great looking set up there and welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
K

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I’m thinking of getting captive bred mated clowns from divers den. And also just two. Maybe they won’t be to aggressive that way. As for the blue tang it will be the king/queen of the tank. It will get big I know I left a good amount of space for it to swim.

My QT is still waiting to be started so I’m no rush to be adding anything to tank. I’ll be happy when it’s fully cycled and I have CuC in there lol. I can watch them all day till I figure out stocking list.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a similar path. I recommend qting the cuc and corals too. I had an ick breakout from a frag. I use a 50 gallon tote for fish and a 20 gal walmart tank for cuc & corals. Both have hang on the back filters and skimmers.

OP
OP
K

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll QT the coral. I have a couple 29 gallons floating around that I plan on putting in a closet that’s empty. I should prob get that going soon. What meds for QT the cuc? Also just plan Jane hob filter work?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the plain hob filter from walmart and a hob skimmer. The fish qt has a large hob filter from walmart and an in sump skimmer that is in the middle on a platform.
No meds in the coral & cuc qt just seperate from fish. The parasites cannot live without host fish so just need to be separated long enough to starve the parasites. Fish it all depends on the fish but the vast majority use copper. DO NOT USE THIS ON CORALS OR INVERTS!! Others have list of prescription drugs that depending on your areas laws you may or may not be able to legally source. Id research that more on here

OP
OP
K

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So could I just put cuc in my DT while qt is cycling and I finish some other stuff. I have to wait 76 days correct. Just making sure I’m doing it right coral will be down the road when I feel like I’m doing it right. Thanks for you help

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely just zero fish.i built ( still adding ) my cuc slowly as they are part of my cycling. Each addition increases the bioload. So even after cycling my system with ghost feeding ive only added a few creatures at a time.

OP
OP
K

KingSpaded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update
———————
Been busy around house haven’t done much just checking numbers. I did get one day and got the lights wired up to be used with apex. The tank can take 2ppm ammonia and make it 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in about 18 hrs now. Have lights turned on and will be adding cuc soon. Wait for those beautiful blooms. I’ll keep this updated with stuff as I go thanks for anyone reading.

Lights are 165w dimmable mars aqua from amazon. $115 each and I re wired them so the apex could dim them. 10% is about as low as you can change them. Have them plugged in to apex so I can control blue and white power separately. Also need to skin tha canopy to match bottom. Front panel will be able to open up. Sided will be attached permanently and back open.

060E082C-EA0D-419B-A30E-7C5D50840B62.jpeg

IMG_0018.JPG

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back