180g build plumbing question

desert_reefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 13, 2021
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
Las Vegas
What state or country do you live in
Nevada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased a 180g tank. I’m currently planning out the best way to plumb the overflow. Here’s what I’m dealing with.

1 Main Drain hole (1.5”)
2 Return holes (3/4” ea)

Question is how should I best utilize these. Here are what I think are my options

1. Use 1.5” as a main drain (maybe durso?) and use both returns as returns. No emergency drain.
2. Use 1.5” as main drain, 1 of the 3/4” as an emergency and the other 3/4” as return (I’d T this off so there’d be 2 nozzles.

Thanks!

IMG_1938.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Use all 3 as a bean animal drain and bring the returns over the back glass
 
Really need better pics/measurements for best advice. But I wouldn't want just one drain, it will be difficult to make quiet and venerable to blockage
 
I run the same type of drain and return. I personally don't have an issue with noise unless I'm running my return pump very slow then I get some noise. Looks like the system doesn't come with plumbing. If that's the case you will have your hands full just putting the plumbing together as intended unless you have experience doing this. I would try as intended and change if you don't like it.
 
I run the same type of drain and return. I personally don't have an issue with noise unless I'm running my return pump very slow then I get some noise. Looks like the system doesn't come with plumbing. If that's the case you will have your hands full just putting the plumbing together as intended unless you have experience doing this. I would try as intended and change if you don't like it.
I have experience with the plumbing portion. I’m not too worried about that. Just was more looking for advice on the best way to utilize the pre drilled holes. I’ve had smaller tanks and just T’d the return.
 
I know it an old post, but what did you end up doing for your drains? I have the exact tank now and trying to figure out how to plumb it. I’m think about redrilling the holes for the 3/4” returns to accept a larger bulkhead and run either a herbie or a bean animal setup using all 3 and leaving the 1.5” as my emergency
 
As was said above - you should use all 3 for a Bean Animal style drain and run the returns over the top. Best system bar none.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new