OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I over bought pipe and some fittings..... I ended up with the following extras:
1 - 46" length of 1" pipe
3 - 24" lengths of 1"
2 - 26" length of 3/4 pipe (1 blue 1 black)
5 - 3/4 90s
2 - 1" 90s

In retrospect, I didnt anticipate the sump lining up directly with 1 of the set of drains, so that save some significant runs of pipe. But Id rather have too many than not enough.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today began aquascape...I laid a lot of rock on the floor, drew out the inside area of the tank giving about 2" from the glass and drew in the over flows So I had an idea. Also I know I didnt want to go more than 20" tall so I had a spare piece of pipe that was the right size so I had a measurement for height was well.

Then I began stacking. I had recently watched the BRS NSA video and started with those intentions, but no.

Anyway I had about 20- 2 packs of super glue gel and 2 bottles of insta set. Well that didnt last long and had one of my kids goto the store and got the last 9 - 2 packs from both $ stores. So I ordered some on amazon that will be here tomorrow. Also I ran into a problem. I built this beautiful structure with 3 pillars and 2 archways then remember that I have braces on the top that wouldnt fit this whole structure.....Crap. So I glued the 3 pillars together, and of course they didnt line up the same in the tank......So I improvised and rebuilt them kinda the same but nothing fit as it did on the ground. Also you cant glue as easily when its inside the tank....Weird angles. So I have my big structures in place so far. Will probably do some lower ones but not sure. I have one that is about 4" down from the where the water line will be. I have 1 pillar that about 8-10" down and another thats probably 12-14" down. Will probably do some smaller flatter pieces on the sand bed area. Not sure yet. May throw another cave/arch in. I was at this for the better part of the day, feel exhausted, but Im looking at this thinking I got nothing done....

For some reason this scape scares me, granted my last scape was 3 big chunks that I just stacked and made a bridge and secured with superglue. This one is tall, with a lot of rocks superglued together.....So I went and got some JB waterweld (did research on here and its reef safe and cheaper than the aquariums specific stuff.) And went through and secured some questionable pieces, especially the archways.

So I am done for the night. Back to work tomorrow, so will probably work on the scape a little each night until the weekend. Not getting wet tonight, oh but I did change out my sediment, carbon block and fresh DI resin to get ready to fill. Also added a split off inbetween the RO Membrane to the DI resin, this way I can run the TDS creep out of the RO membrane and stop blowing through resin. I did about 25 gallons into the RO container and went through half a container of resin. I have a cheaper ro/di unit, the DI resin container isnt a full size...Will look at changing that out later once the tank is up and running.

Keep looking for deals on some G3 or G4 radions, but will probably start with Noopsyche k7.

17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finished the aquascape. Used a crap load of superglue. I felt kinda iffy on some of the arches and super glue, so I went back through with JB Waterweld. According to the forums it is reef safe and cheaper then some of the aquarium stuff. I added sand, only used 2 of the 40lb bags which surprised me as I figured I would need more. Im at about 1-1.5" across the bottom. But I messed up as its considered "live" sand and I am filling the tank with RO/DI water first as I have no way to make 200gallons (tank+sump estimate) of saltwater. I figured after the tank is mostly full I am going to mix a super concentrate of saltwater in a 5 gallon bucket and then adjust as needed.

I changed out both the sediment and carbon block filters. I went with smaller micro filters this time. Replaced the DI resin and started filling. Currently its about 75% full. I am not running it at night. Got the "smart" power strip, unboxed the icecap 4k and BRS controller+2-300W heaters. Put some of the left over rubble in the sump and got everything mapped out. I had a gaggle of wires. So kept going back and forth on a control board. Found an approximately 2'x2' shelving unit at walmart for like $25. Its about 1' deep and I have a piece of 24x48 3/4" think project board. Cut it out, mocked up my gear and drilled holes for mounting screws and 2" holes for cables. Went to lowes and got some mountable zip ties for the cords and power bricks. Was gonna get desk cable grommets but lowes wanted $5 each and I found 5 on amazon for $8. Spray painted the board and currently waiting for it to dry.

Went to the LFS wanting a group of small chromis or clowns. They only had big boys so I passed. Did get 2 boxes of frits RPM red box salt as I have been using reef crystals and wanted to try something different. Went to one of the local petcos and they had green chromis at the right size. Plus they are 25% off as they are about to remodel their aquarium section. I have had good luck with this particular petco and have talked to the lady and she is knowledgeable and cares about the fish. I had already set up a 5g QT tank. Got some 2" PVC piece, made a new batch of salt water and put it in with a heater and HOB. Also grabbed a bag of biomedia thats been in the 40g for a while and put that in there along with some used filter floss out of the 40. Pre dosed to 1.5 ppm of copper power. Got 6 chromis home, added a little of the bio spira and after a float and drip acclimation added them in. the next day I added a little more copper power and am sitting over 2ppm. WIll dose a little more to get it to 2.5ppm....Need a hanna checker in the future. Also dosed prazipro and manaflex.

I have 5 bottles of Dr Tims one and only and ammonia ready for cycle. Also got a bottle of bio-spira for my QT tank and a bottle microbacter as a means for bio diversity. Was looking at some of the screen kit parts I bought and realized the screen I bought is aluminum....crap. Ordered the clear screen from BRS which arrived along with some misc RO/DI parts to add a pressure gauge. I already had the gauge so just needed a 1/4 FPT to RO. Also added in a three way with a valve so that I can let some water run out of the RO Membrane before it hits the DI to reduce TDS creep.

Organized the fishroom/office a little. Realized how much fish crap I actually have.

27.jpg 28.jpg 29.jpg 30.jpg 31.png 32.jpg 33.jpg 34.jpg 35.jpg 36.jpg 37.jpg 38.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming into my RO Membrane is 95-100PSI. Also got a used Tunze 3155 ATO off ebay for $100 that arrived. Realized that it doesnt have the magnet mount for the 2 sensors. Think its an older model with the 2 hanging adjustable mounts so I ordered the newer magnet mount.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the paint dried, I mounted the control boxes and then mounted the board inside the cabinet I found at walmart. I used 4 simple 90 degree mounting brackets to secure it to the cabinet. Basically one on each corner. Fed the wires back through and attached the 2 power bricks to the back side. I found some zip ties with holes for mounting. Worked perfectly. I added a LED light to the cabinet. I also mounted 2 under the stand as well. They are battery powered have a remote that can change color or work by pushing the light itself. The only thing I dont like about these is that when you touch them on, it goes to the white light, no big deal, but when you touch it again to turn it off it cycles to red, then green, then blue and THEN off. But they were 5 for $15 at walmart. I got some mounts for cable management so I will work on that. Not gonna finalize the wires until I get the grommets from amazon, should be here tuesday. No point in finalizing just to tear it all apart to install the grommets.

37.jpg 38.jpg 39.jpg 40.jpg 41.jpg 42.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it finally filled. I got it up to the overflow with RO/DI Water and then mixed a few batches of concentrated salt water in the mixing station. Got it to 1.015 which according to Dr Tim is where we should be cycling, set heaters to 85, also a Dr Time recommendation and its now running. Threw on the filter socks so that it may clear up over the next few days.

I will say that dialing in the dual herbie drains took a while. Also Had to put some fittings on to try and reduce the noise. Will probably have to get some more 90s or 45s to get the emergencies down into the water, currently they are sitting way above the water line and noisier than I had hoped. I really like where they are at aesthetically, but I could in theory just rotate the unions and add longer pipes to the last 90...But I can dial it in as I go along...Pretty happy so far.

I think I will still need more flow after a second icecap 4k but not sure yet. Maybe 1 or 2 smaller power heads on the back wall in between the 2 over flows. I also removed the 2 RFG nozzles from the 2 outlets point toward the center. Was getting a weird noise from them.

6 Chromis are doing good. Checked all the levels, nitrates are high at 20ppm, added some more biospira and changed out the filterfloss, will be doing a water change next weekend anyway per the QT process.

44.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been kinda slow going. I found a tunze ATO off ebay for $100, but realized it was an older model so I had to order the dual sensor mount. Decided to go ahead and put the ATO pump into the 32g RO/DI Brute in my mixing station. Decided not to use the rubber tubing and go with RO tubing. Put in a slip connector and drilled a small hole (I think it was 1/16"), so its just above the max water line in the container, that way when the pump stops, it breaks the siphon and doesnt drain the hole container to my sump. Then had to lengthen the connectors to the control box since I wanted the control box in my cabinet. Easy to do. Got some 2 wire cable, crimp connectors and heat shrink. Ran it over, plugged it all up and installed the sensor. Tested and works as expected, breaks the siphon and good to go. Then I started looking at turning off the ATO when the return pump is off since the high level alarm would sound every time. So using the smart power strip, I have both the ATO and return pump on smart plugs (the Icecap and inkbird are on always on). So I started looking at some of the home automation stuff. I was able to add a conditional statement in which if the return pump is off for whatever reason, the ATO automatically turns off. I also created a feed mode on the power strip. One button press and both ATO and return turn off. The return turns back on after 15 minutes and then the ATO 5 minutes after that. Who needs an apex!!! I also stole my kids Alexa/echo that isnt being used. Put it in the same room and set it up so that I can say "Alexa, activate feed mode" and it activates my feed mode routine.

cycle has been going, I am stalled at 1ppm nitrite, ammonia is 0 and will go from 1-2ppm to 0 with in 24 hours. So just gotta wait out the nitrites to cycle. I got a NO3 brick from brightwell in a raffle along with some microbacter 7. Asked on here and was told just to soak it and put in the sump. So we will see if that helps or hinders the cycle.

The chromis have started dying... After 7 days in QT, I did a water change (matched the copper level) and added the second dose of praizipro per the humble fish QT procedure. After 10 days, found 1 fish dead, then the next another. Checked all parameters and they were in line, so I can only assume its the classic chromis aggression. Found another Friday night just floating around in the current, not swimming floating, like he was just being blown around..,..and then there were 3. Havent seen any aggression but I also dont have eyes on all the time. They like to hide behind the filter. Yesterday morning, another one was stuck on the filter, wasnt dead but was in a bad way. Turned off the filter and he swam down. Came back a few hours later and he was stuck again. Let him loose, but he just wasnt doing anything. Was breathing and slowly moving but it was obvious he wasnt gonna last. No signs of aggression, no fin tears, no bruises, but again Chromis are none for this. I have 2 left and they are the bigger of the pack so makes sense. Looking at getting a group of Anthias.....

Decided it was time to do my DIY screen lids. I had gotten some screen kits, extra corners, spline and screen top from Lowes. After looking at the screen again, I realized it was aluminum and probably not the best for a saltwater environment. I ordered the clear screen from BRS instead. The middle screen is easy as it was a rectangle. Stretching the screen out is kinda tough by yourself, but got the wife to help, then realized we did it too tight as the screen warps on the corners. But I pushed it down and it was a perfect tight fit. Now the other 2 sections (this tank has 3 sections on the top) have the over flows and the returns coming over the back of the tank. So I measure it out, and slowly built it out make an approx 2"x2" box that allows me to fit the screen around the return pipe. It also covers most of the overflow in case a fish does get down there. Its not as pretty as the square and I think its still to tight as the 2x2 box wants to pull apart a little and is a little off. But one its sitting on the tank its ok. Will work on the last one later.

45.jpg 46.jpg 47.jpg 48.jpg

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1 Chromis survived QT.....after the QT put it along with 2 snails and a handful of hermits from my fallow 40. Cleaned out the 40 and running that as my QT now. Added a fish of hex feed port to the middle screen. Also ordered a copper hanna since I will be getting into some more QT soon and want more accurate than the API. Still gotta figure out how I am going to notch my screens for the gyre cords. The one side is angled up which leaves a gap for jumpers...Still planning out my stocking list but with the following rough idea:

chromis (In tank)
6 anthias
2 clowns
2 bangai
6 pajama
3 engineer gobies
2 sand sifting gobies/pistol shrimp
3 firefish
1 algae blenny
1 Midas blenny
1 6 line or carpenters
1 blue spot puffer
1 yellow tang
1 naso tang

Am going to look at getting acrylic for sump to eliminate some salt creep. Still need to get a skimmer and another gyre. Plus lights. But the tank is running

Richardsonic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after more fiddling, I got the filter cups up through the bottom.....Not sure if thats gonna be what I want to do long term....
Chibix - I'm setting up a similar tank with the same sump. How exactly did you get those cups in there? I don't have the cups yet but I don't see how they're going to clear the angle needed for top loading. Thanks.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chibix - I'm setting up a similar tank with the same sump. How exactly did you get those cups in there? I don't have the cups yet but I don't see how they're going to clear the angle needed for top loading. Thanks.
So its a pain in the butt to get the cups in and out because of the holder and the angle. I have switched over to filter socks for the time being. Will probably try and cut out the sides of the cups to fit in but not sure.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a while since I did an update. I got the skimmer installed, found a good deal on a red sea RSK 600. But with only 1 chromis in the tank not much to skim.

My newest fish (7 pajama cardinals, 1 fire fish and 1 neon goby) made it through 30 day quarantine and have been added into the tank. The chromis is part of the school now. They all hang out on the same side of the tank together which is opposite side that the chromis was on by himself.

I got 3 - noopsyche k7's for lighting. They run about $200 with mounts and are comparable to hydra 32's. For the price I am willing to give them a try, especially since I am only looking at softies/LPS with very few SPS. I can always get add ons or add some more if more lighting is needed. I also redid the lids, I was never satisified with the screen lids I did to go around the return pipes over the top. So I went back to square screen design and used egg crate for the back area to cover the coverflow and make cut outs for the light mounts and return pipes. I still have to do one for the center section. I am waiting to order some more clear mesh from BRS (Also gonna get the second ice cap 4k). Had to buy some extension cable for the lights so that I can mount all of the power bricks where I want them. Will also need to get a second power strip so I have the lights isolated.

Most of the major purchases are done. I keep contemplating an Apex or the new hydros control, but I just cant justify it at this time. I was looking at getting another set of fish into QT but my buddy is gonna move and I am gonna house his fish for a while. Gonna be putting them all in the 40 gallon QT tank so I cant start anymore fish.

Attachments

• 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 37
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddys tank is tore down, all his fish are in the 40QT, but his corals and inverts are in the main tank. Everything seems ok after the move. Except my Alk....tested for the first time after a week of the corals/inverts and its a 6.6 (verified the hanna checker with a salifert alk test) . Did a small 15 gallon water change and it was back up to 6.9 after a day. Realized that my ideas of doing the water change from the sump wont work since there is only about 15-17 gallons of water in the sump, but close to 30 in the container. Will have to take water from the DT...booooo. So will probably do another water change this weekend, the full 28-30 and see how it affects the alk. I may need to look into dosing, but Im honestly suprised as this fritz RPM red box is the high alk version which is suppose to mix at 10-11 DKH. But since I didnt test prior to adding my buddies corals ( theres not alot, theres a torch, a big colony of what he calls birds nest but its some kind of SPS, a few acans, a ricordia and an elegance.) I dont know exactly how much they are using up. Ill see how a full water change (again 28-30 gal based on my containeres) does with the alk and go from there.

On another testing note, I have been over feeding. Tested phos at .8 and nitrate at 20. Will be cutting it down and throwing in some chemipure elite.
Still waiting on BRS to have a icecap 4k pump only and a tunze echo chic refugium light. So that will be early next year! hopefully my buddy gets moved and setsup his tank early january so I can get some more fish into QT. Thinking clowns are next thinking 6 of them. Or try to find some anthias again.

Attachments

• IMG_2674.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did a thing, not even planned.

55.jpg

NIB apex, for a dang good deal locally , including the display. Just got it hooked up and running. Need to order some salinity calibration fluid as it had leaked so its off.

Didnt plan on getting one anytime soon but it was honestly a deal I couldnt pass on.

OP
OP
Chbix

Chbix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also now I am looking at all the stuff I need to do the stuff I want.....I need sensors and solenoids for ATO water is probably the main thing on the list.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back