180g FOWLR setup

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I just ordered the glass for my next build, a 60Lx36Wx18H rimless, around 180 gallons. My intention is to make this a a lightly stocked single specimen fowlr tank. The tank design itself is finalized, but ive been pondering everything else and could use some advice:

Stocking: i want to keep a clown trigger in this tank. Will the size be adequate for a full grown CT? If not ive considered some of the medium sized angels.

Filtration: i will not be installing a sump on this build. I simply want to run an oversized external skimmer on a closed loop as the sole filtration. I would also like to mount it in an overhead configuration if possible. Can anyone give me any tips on how to best rig this up and what would be a good skimmer for the job? I have two current usa dc pumps to choose from, a 2000 gph and 3100 gph, to supply the skimmer. HOB skimmers are also an option but i would prefer to have this tank flat up against the wall--nothing hanging off.

Lighting: i would like to grow dragons tongue algae in this tank or similar types of macro. I have a 24" current usa marine led for this setup. Will that be adequate for this type of algae?

Bottom/substrate: i would like to go bare bottom and paint the bottom of the tank. Would this work for triggerfish or do they prefer a sandy bottom?

I am relatively new to saltwater so any tips or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

alpburakozbay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think the aquarium will be small for clown triggerfish (maybe fry is ok).
I don't understand filtration section (It's my bad sorry) but advice for protein skimmer,
Tunze DOC Skimmer 9012 DC or without DC, you know. Friends may have better advice.
I think the lighting will be enough for algaes.
In the sand, your eye taste is important, I can't say anything (If I were, I would use sand, I like sand). Sand may contribute to biological filtration.
Patience is very important to this hobby. I hope you have an aquarium as you wish.
Sorry for my bad English.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I think the aquarium will be small for clown triggerfish (maybe fry is ok).
I don't understand filtration section (It's my bad sorry) but advice for protein skimmer,
Tunze DOC Skimmer 9012 DC or without DC, you know. Friends may have better advice.
I think the lighting will be enough for algaes.
In the sand, your eye taste is important, I can't say anything (If I were, I would use sand, I like sand). Sand may contribute to biological filtration.
Patience is very important to this hobby. I hope you have an aquarium as you wish.
Sorry for my bad English.

Us Americans are sorry for our bad English also, However we rarely apologize for it <LOL> :D

I have that Current USA Light fixture; 2 in fact .... you might get more par outta a Bic lighter, definetley more outta a Boy Scout flashlight ....
....that same light grows “branch” caulerpra in my tank I (excuse the spelling) .... but yeah, If corals aren’t the thing, I’d keep the stronger lighting in the sump; Perhaps grow macros there also....

180g for a clown trigger? Not sure....Those things get darn big even in home aquariums.

OP
OP
T

thediscobandit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input friends.

@alpburakozbay yes ive read about the benefits of a live sand bed, but am simply hoping to make this a very low maintenance setup, very simple and aimed towards function instead of beauty. The stocking will be on the light side, likely a single specimen tank. I was hoping to use only live rock for colonizing beneficial bacteria.

@Doctorgori yes i have heard the same from friends of mine about the lights but they have assured me they will be sufficient for macroalgae at least at 18" depth. I am somewhat disinterested in corals and wont be keeping a refugium on this tank setup.

You both have repeated what ive already heard about clown triggers. I suppose i will have to build a larger tank one day! I do have a lasting interest in apolemichthys complex angels. Perhaps i could set the tank up around one of them. I really wanted sonething i could keep with some thriving colonies of macro though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back