1970's Black Light Corals

Spiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in high school in the late 70's when black light posters were all the rage. I am setting up a reef and want to stock it with Acros...however I DO NOT want to run my lights so that the tank looks like a black light poster. Looking for suggestions on Acros that look great without the 'overly blue' light. :cool:

Thanks,

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all preference but I think most corals will look great without all the blue or will just be less in your face colors.

kevinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I graduated in 79, I like the black light look.
My zoa tank is 100% blue only - IMO no other way to view them.
My sticks are under radions, Start heavy blue then bump whites to 40% for 5hrs then back down.
When the tanks whiter my blue coral is pretty amazing, Tony's cookie monster, Oregon Tort & Garf bonsai.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything from ORA, anything on the Tyree LE list and most other corals other than the trendy rainbow A. Tenuis and any of the OG coral (cali and Oregon tort, Miyagi, GARF Bonsai, shortcake, etc.). There are some really nice newer corals that will stand the test of time and do not need trick lighting like RR Pink Cadillac and Fox Flame among many others.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I call them "Glamor Shot" corals. If you all graduated back then, then you know what I am saying and know what Glamor Shots were... used to cringe when a friend wanted to set you up with another friend and pulled out a Glamour Shot. The first thing that you always did was ask for a normal photo.

Heard them called Beer Goggle corals too.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Being a Sienfeld fan I call them two face corals-

With excessive blue lighting--
two face good.jpg

Normal lighting conditions--
two face bad.jpg

Most millis will look great without all the fake extra blue.

That excessive blue is a hindrance when trying to see the best in reds, blues and purple in corals as well, not to mention making the whole tank look like it's in a dark cave.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with JDA. Look at the classics as he said. I'll add pink lemonade, any of the shortcakes. I know we all knock green acros but truth be told they stand out and are usually the one that non reefers pick out first. A simple green Slimer always stands out. Should be easy to find a few.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink lemonade, red planet, vivids rainbow, Oregon tort, ASD rainbow Mille, other ORA stuff like pearlberry, joe the coral; classic green slimer, SSC

OP
OP
Spiffy

Spiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I especially liked the Seinfeld and Glamor Shots references.

All the best,

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a Sienfeld fan I call them two face corals-

With excessive blue lighting--
two face good.jpg

Normal lighting conditions--
two face bad.jpg

Most millis will look great without all the fake extra blue.

That excessive blue is a hindrance when trying to see the best in reds, blues and purple in corals as well, not to mention making the whole tank look like it's in a dark cave.
Looks like 20k versus 14k

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put an Orphek UV bar over my tank to try. It didn't last long lol, way too gimmicky. For Acros, classics like Oregon Tort, Pearlberry, JF fox flame, Orange Passion, Strawberry Shortcake, Pink Lemonade, Pink Cadillac, PC Rainbow will never go out of style.
20181122_212928.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one to go with my three blue plus or2 bars and I agree, alone it’s defiantly the nuclear option for a blue light. I can’t imagine trying to photograph anything under it. I am sure lots of people think it’s showing the acros “true” colors though. I am keeping it for now to see how things color up in the long run with it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back