OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to go mixed reef, my favorite corals are the LPS, frog spawns, torch’s, etc. I plan to have on the back. But my have to move them to the sides. I may even switch to the mp10s or an mp40 on the sides. Thoughts?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to go mixed reef, my favorite corals are the LPS, frog spawns, torch’s, etc. I plan to have on the back. But my have to move them to the sides. I may even switch to the mp10s or an mp40 on the sides. Thoughts?
I had two mp10s and they didn’t hold well. Some people have no problems i did. They would spin or fall off. Then i got two mp40s on back and they were kicking up sand in frint of my tank so i put them on the sides. I usually only have one on at 40% and keep the other off. Its enough for my needs every now and then i turn on the other one to mix it up. I have wxm on my apex so i will anti sync the pumps and see how that works. Id go with two mp40s over 2 mp10 for sure. Better mo40 on low than mp10s on high.

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two mp10s and they didn’t hold well. Some people have no problems i did. They would spin or fall off. Then i got two mp40s on back and they were kicking up sand in frint of my tank so i put them on the sides. I usually only have one on at 40% and keep the other off. Its enough for my needs every now and then i turn on the other one to mix it up. I have wxm on my apex so i will anti sync the pumps and see how that works. Id go with two mp40s over 2 mp10 for sure. Better mo40 on low than mp10s on high.
Makes a lot of sense

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards this scape just need to fill in that gap on the right set of rocks with rubble, it’s not the highest but there is some nice shelf’s on there to place coral
7DF3CE01-2FF7-4F3F-880C-0C1970EA0E2B.jpeg

37749AE0-6E21-4813-9D73-201A8ADEEC89.jpeg

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my equipment is in except my Deltec skimmer. (Shoutout @Battlecorals). Would it be okay to start the cycle without the skimmer? Or should I wait for the skimmer to come in?

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to get some feed back on how you guys think this will work for cord management? The plan is to try to keep the stand clean and open to later possibly install a reactor, and a new ATO. I’m waiting on my Deltec skimmer but all other equipment is in, trying to get some feedback before I️ mount the Jebao powerhead controllers to the the price of wood. I️ also am trying not to screw into the stand.
CBB7942C-E406-4B1E-99F0-11DBD5C86CFA.jpeg
FFC26138-CDA2-4168-8339-876198455ECF.jpeg
J

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B1F1A7E6-3615-41F0-8B92-F344DD4EFE78.jpeg
57E63E40-73EB-4231-AFF2-99E0AF720C65.jpeg
It’s WET! after many hours waiting for my RODI to make water and mixing salt, the tank is up to temp. I am cycling with Dr Tim’s one and only. I have dosed ammonia and put in the bottle of Dr Tim’s. Now just a waiting game. Will keep you posted on results. Again, I am taking it slow. I want to make sure the I do this right. So I’ll be taking my time before adding fish.

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be setting up my reefer 250 soon so I'm following this thread for inspiration, I'm looking forward to watching your tank grow
Thanks bud, if you have any questions feel free to ask. I’m not expert but I’m learning haha.

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give a long awaited update. I am still in the process of cycling my tank. I have been doing the Dr Foster and Smith and their Ammonia, Its been 3 weeks and still taking awhile to get the nitrite to nitrate. I am dosing 2ppm of ammonia and in 24 hours getting 0:ammonia 1:nitrate. Hoping another 10 days i should be able to add my first fish and coral but we’ll see. Will keep you guys posted on the cycling process and when i add my first livestock.

OP
OP
1bitereefer

1bitereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, during my fishless cycle, dosing dr Tim’s ammonia i was getting a little brown skimmate, now I’m getting none. All I’m getting is white clear skimmate. And not as much thick bubbles. Could it be that the bio load is so low? With only 2 small clowns and 2 LPS.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question, during my fishless cycle, dosing dr Tim’s ammonia i was getting a little brown skimmate, now I’m getting none. All I’m getting is white clear skimmate. And not as much thick bubbles. Could it be that the bio load is so low? With only 2 small clowns and 2 LPS.
Yes with low bio-load. Surprised you're getting any skimmate at all, skimmer has to break in but need a bio-load to break-in skimmer. You can feed a boat load of food to boost bio-load and if you're worried about nutrient buildup just test for them and adjust accordingly. You also have water changes to adjust bio-load.

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Reefer 250 not long before you and I am battling cyano at the moment. I think it is because my dry rock is leaching phosphates. So I'm not sure if you would want to feed a lot. Not saying that powers is wrong but it may drive up your PO4 and NO3 to an undesired level.

I'm currently at a 'lights out' stand still. I will turn them back on in about a week or so. I'm going out of town for Christmas for the weekend, so they don't need to be on anyways since I do not have any coral at the moment. Once I get back, I'm looking at a bonded pair of snowflake clowns and then finally getting some coral.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my Reefer 250 not long before you and I am battling cyano at the moment. I think it is because my dry rock is leaching phosphates. So I'm not sure if you would want to feed a lot. Not saying that powers is wrong but it may drive up your PO4 and NO3 to an undesired level.

I'm currently at a 'lights out' stand still. I will turn them back on in about a week or so. I'm going out of town for Christmas for the weekend, so they don't need to be on anyways since I do not have any coral at the moment. Once I get back, I'm looking at a bonded pair of snowflake clowns and then finally getting some coral.
Xander, you can still overfeed and control PO4 and NO3 at the same time. That is what test kits and water changes are for. This is the best time to break in a skimmer when you don't absolutely need it due to low number of livestock. You're going to have an Ammonia spike anyway, might as well test for it and the following Nitrate spike that follows. The extra feedings can take place of Dr. Tim's Ammonia for a bacterial jump start and jump start your skimmer too!!

Xander, do you have Pukani dry rock?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back