1st clam give me tips!

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a clam from petco, posted as deresa and I have been eyeing trying out a clam. Now is it a deresa I’m not sure but I will post pictures of it once it opens to get a good ID. I have it about 1/3 way up in my rock scape where I’m hoping for 150-200ish par.
Now of any skill level I ask for tips and tricks, when and when not to feed, what to feed and what not. Anything you could think that would help me as a new clam owner.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3496.jpeg
First full day and it’s only noon, not sure if he’s getting happy or just gapping… paranoid

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a clam from petco, posted as deresa and I have been eyeing trying out a clam. Now is it a deresa I’m not sure but I will post pictures of it once it opens to get a good ID. I have it about 1/3 way up in my rock scape where I’m hoping for 150-200ish par.
Now of any skill level I ask for tips and tricks, when and when not to feed, what to feed and what not. Anything you could think that would help me as a new clam owner.
Watch your Kh, and also aim for higher light if possible. These clams can survive in low light but absolutely thrive in high light.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasas don't need as much light as Maximas and Croceas do, but they still benefit from a good amount of full spectrum lighting. 150 PAR on the low end, with 200 a better number. No need to feed them any supplemental food, as they will filter organics out of the water column.

Keep your calcium and alkalinity at least at natural seawater levels, and stable. If the clam is healthy, it will do well. If things start to go sideways and your water parameters are solid, I've had a lot of success with 30 min pH and temp adjusted freshwater baths for my clams.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Derasas don't need as much light as Maximas and Croceas do, but they still benefit from a good amount of full spectrum lighting. 150 PAR on the low end, with 200 a better number. No need to feed them any supplemental food, as they will filter organics out of the water column.

Keep your calcium and alkalinity at least at natural seawater levels, and stable. If the clam is healthy, it will do well. If things start to go sideways and your water parameters are solid, I've had a lot of success with 30 min pH and temp adjusted freshwater baths for my clams.
I will keep this in mind, so far it had been opened then I came home from the gym and it was tipped over on the sand, not sure if it did it or a fish or it just wasn’t dug deep enough. But it was open. If and when it opens tomorrow fully I’ll get a better pic to see if it looks healthy and get others opinions.

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose phytoplankton if you are not already! Your beautiful clam will thank you!
I used to but haven’t bought more, will have to re supply. Question is there a difference between local reefers creating phyto compared to the two fishes brand sold at fish shops? Is one more potent and better??

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to but haven’t bought more, will have to re supply. Question is there a difference between local reefers creating phyto compared to the two fishes brand sold at fish shops? Is one more potent and better??
Live phyto is best. Probably should get a blend as its uncertain which strain would be most beneficial if at all. I have had good stuff from Dinkins and Reef by Steele both can be found in the vendor forums.

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3496.jpeg
First full day and it’s only noon, not sure if he’s getting happy or just gapping… paranoid
Beautiful pattern! and hard to tell with how clean it is but just from texture it looks like it's had some good shell growth recently.

Heads up it should be more open than this, different individuals may open different amounts but I think within 1 day it should be more. If some snail knocked into it or you just flipped it upright from getting knocked over, and it's still re-opening, that's totally normal then. Just keep an eye, if it's not more open tomorrow it might be a sign it's irritated by something (lack of light, too much light, a pest, etc).

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pattern! and hard to tell with how clean it is but just from texture it looks like it's had some good shell growth recently.

Heads up it should be more open than this, different individuals may open different amounts but I think within 1 day it should be more. If some snail knocked into it or you just flipped it upright from getting knocked over, and it's still re-opening, that's totally normal then. Just keep an eye, if it's not more open tomorrow it might be a sign it's irritated by something (lack of light, too much light, a pest, etc).
Gotcha, I did see it open but I will check in the morning and see if it’s looking how it should be by posting on here

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back