1st complete tank set up review .

Empti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so I've recently gotten into the hobby and very quickly upgraded from the near useless 13 gal a LFS sold me. My new tank is the waterbox marine 60.2 and after filling took about 150L (40g) of water with an estimated 10kg (22 pounds of sand) + 15kg (33 pounds rock). Majority of the rock came from the old system which was set up for ~3 months so didn't experience much of a cycle in terms of ammonia. This set up is now 2 weeks old and this week ive added the corals + a dragonet, longish post and my main questions are @ the end but looking for any feedback on how things are looking. LPS/Soft coral focused.

Pictures
298215077_431358928779147_6106391006614665643_n.jpg
298752071_1479454219151059_3460601676378755763_n.jpg

298347064_1451621775308370_2914014076611170414_n.jpg

298913607_3298572740418251_451253673747831305_n.jpg

Notable Equipment

Nero Ai 5 Wavemaker - running 1200 gal/hr
ecotech vectra return pump - running ~ 400 gal/hr
Radion xr15 g5 pro - running LPS/softies preset @ 40% intensity
Deltec 400i skimmer - tuned but doesnt produce a huge amount of skimmate, new tank with low nutrients
heater - idk but temp stable

Parameters

Alk 7.6
pH 7.9
Phos 0.0
Ca 387
MG 1183,
ammo 0
nitrite 0.1
nitrate 2
Salinity 1.026
temp 25.0c

Current stocking list

Fish -

1 Clownfish
1 Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
CUC - 3 trochus snails

Coral -

Small Hammer Frag
Duncan Coral
Elegance
Kenya tree.

Questions!

Stocking

Final stocking list is looking to be
2x ocellaris clowns
1x mandarin dragonet
1x purple firefish
1x 6 line or cleaner wrasse
Maybe one more fish. thinking a fire angelfish.
Is this reasonable? I think its pushing towards the heavier side with the wrasse + angelfish.

Keeping my dragonet alive! -

I've realised that I shouldn't have gotten one this early but inadequate research left me with this beautiful fish that I love but im now trying to keep him alive. I don't have a huge copepod population in my tank due to how immature it is, I do see him occasionally pecking at the peices of rock from my old tank & back wall of the tank. I will eventually set up a fuge with chaeto/gravel that ill try seed with copepods but for now he doesnt seem a fan of frozen pods. Given this will throwing live bottled pods in my tank maybe 2x a month suffice to keep the adorable little man from starving or will their population be decimated way too fast.

Flow

Current total flow is ~40x tank volume 30x through my wavemaker and 10x through sump/return pump. See pic attached at the top. because I'm uncertain my current setup is adequate or if I should get another powerhead and run 2/3rds of the flow through the wavemaker then 1/3rd of the flow feeding back up from a powerhead which ill place on the opposite back corner of the tank feeding upwards towards to overflow gate.

Lighting

Does anyone know how i can estimate PAR on a radion xr-15, would looking at someone elses par testing translate well to another tank assuming similar mounting height/open top/account for settings or is there a large variance between models/individual units.

Coral Placement

My duncan seems a little unhappy today (yesterday, the day i got him he was quite happy). Elegance has been nice and open and makes a great centrepiece however im worried having my hammer between it and the duncan isn't a good idea as since i've moved it the duncan hasn't been open and i saw a small little burn mark looking spot on the elegance where it is closest to the hammer. Should I just leave the hammer and hope they all get along or move it now before it stings either of them.

ID on the bottom left would be good because although I'm pretty sure its a kenya tree which is fine with low light/mid flow just want to make sure.

Dosing

I'm currently dosing to get calcium up to 420 + kh to 8.5-9. I know my mag is low (1183) but do I really need to dose this too or should my weekly 10% water change be fine. I was under the impression slightly low mag isnt a huge problem so long as im not trying to push up calc/alk into high ranges.

The ugly stage....

Getting some heavy browning of the sandbed and a small white rock sitting on substrate, nutrients are already pretty low. Do I just ride this out and keep going with my normal setup or any actions I can take to keep the new tank looking pretty? Currently just cleaning glass + stirring up the sand every day.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Everything looks good this far
Assure you are using reliable test kits

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably too small tank to keep both 6line and mandarin, sixline will outcompete mandarin for food....

I was thinking to get sixline, to help with flatworms problem, but, kinda worried that my mandarin will starve in that case.... Tank is 500l....

OP
OP
E

Empti

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably too small tank to keep both 6line and mandarin, sixline will outcompete mandarin for food....

I was thinking to get sixline, to help with flatworms problem, but, kinda worried that my mandarin will starve in that case.... Tank is 500l....
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't even consider adding it until I'm culturing pods in a fuge.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure is this combination ever good idea, unless you will be throwing pods with showell in tank...

Again, not claiming, just thinking out loud, like i said i have similar idea

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys so I've recently gotten into the hobby and very quickly upgraded from the near useless 13 gal a LFS sold me. My new tank is the waterbox marine 60.2 and after filling took about 150L (40g) of water with an estimated 10kg (22 pounds of sand) + 15kg (33 pounds rock). Majority of the rock came from the old system which was set up for ~3 months so didn't experience much of a cycle in terms of ammonia. This set up is now 2 weeks old and this week ive added the corals + a dragonet, longish post and my main questions are @ the end but looking for any feedback on how things are looking. LPS/Soft coral focused.

Pictures
298215077_431358928779147_6106391006614665643_n.jpg
298752071_1479454219151059_3460601676378755763_n.jpg

298347064_1451621775308370_2914014076611170414_n.jpg

298913607_3298572740418251_451253673747831305_n.jpg

Notable Equipment

Nero Ai 5 Wavemaker - running 1200 gal/hr
ecotech vectra return pump - running ~ 400 gal/hr
Radion xr15 g5 pro - running LPS/softies preset @ 40% intensity
Deltec 400i skimmer - tuned but doesnt produce a huge amount of skimmate, new tank with low nutrients
heater - idk but temp stable

Parameters

Alk 7.6
pH 7.9
Phos 0.0
Ca 387
MG 1183,
ammo 0
nitrite 0.1
nitrate 2
Salinity 1.026
temp 25.0c

Current stocking list

Fish -

1 Clownfish
1 Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
CUC - 3 trochus snails

Coral -

Small Hammer Frag
Duncan Coral
Elegance
Kenya tree.

Questions!

Stocking

Final stocking list is looking to be
2x ocellaris clowns
1x mandarin dragonet
1x purple firefish
1x 6 line or cleaner wrasse
Maybe one more fish. thinking a fire angelfish.
Is this reasonable? I think its pushing towards the heavier side with the wrasse + angelfish.

Keeping my dragonet alive! -

I've realised that I shouldn't have gotten one this early but inadequate research left me with this beautiful fish that I love but im now trying to keep him alive. I don't have a huge copepod population in my tank due to how immature it is, I do see him occasionally pecking at the peices of rock from my old tank & back wall of the tank. I will eventually set up a fuge with chaeto/gravel that ill try seed with copepods but for now he doesnt seem a fan of frozen pods. Given this will throwing live bottled pods in my tank maybe 2x a month suffice to keep the adorable little man from starving or will their population be decimated way too fast.

Flow

Current total flow is ~40x tank volume 30x through my wavemaker and 10x through sump/return pump. See pic attached at the top. because I'm uncertain my current setup is adequate or if I should get another powerhead and run 2/3rds of the flow through the wavemaker then 1/3rd of the flow feeding back up from a powerhead which ill place on the opposite back corner of the tank feeding upwards towards to overflow gate. THERE SEEMS TO BE PLENTY OF FLOW GIVEN SIZE OF TANK AND POWERHEADS/PUMPS YOU ALREADY HAVE. I DON'T THINK YOU NEED MORE, IF ANYTHING MAY HAVE TO DIAL DOWN FLOW A BIT.

Lighting

Does anyone know how i can estimate PAR on a radion xr-15, would looking at someone elses par testing translate well to another tank assuming similar mounting height/open top/account for settings or is there a large variance between models/individual units.

Coral Placement

My duncan seems a little unhappy today (yesterday, the day i got him he was quite happy). Elegance has been nice and open and makes a great centrepiece however im worried having my hammer between it and the duncan isn't a good idea as since i've moved it the duncan hasn't been open and i saw a small little burn mark looking spot on the elegance where it is closest to the hammer. Should I just leave the hammer and hope they all get along or move it now before it stings either of them.

ID on the bottom left would be good because although I'm pretty sure its a kenya tree which is fine with low light/mid flow just want to make sure. DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A KENYA TREE TO ME, SEEMS LIKE A FINGER CORAL. USUALLY HARDY

Dosing

I'm currently dosing to get calcium up to 420 + kh to 8.5-9. I know my mag is low (1183) but do I really need to dose this too or should my weekly 10% water change be fine. I was under the impression slightly low mag isnt a huge problem so long as im not trying to push up calc/alk into high ranges. U ARE CORRECT, WEEKLY WC WILL BE PLENTY FOR NOW DUE TO LOW DEMAND. AS TANK GETS MATURE W MORE LIVESTOCK/CORALS, I'D MONITOR LEVELS AND START DOSING ONLY WHEN WEEKLY WC NO LONGER KEEPS UP WITH DEMAND. LOW MAG IS NOT AN ISSUE ESP WHEN STOCKED W SOFT CORALS.

The ugly stage....

Getting some heavy browning of the sandbed and a small white rock sitting on substrate, nutrients are already pretty low. Do I just ride this out and keep going with my normal setup or any actions I can take to keep the new tank looking pretty? Currently just cleaning glass + stirring up the sand every day. SINCE MAJORITY OF EQUIPMENT CAME FROM PREVIOUS TANK, SHOULDN'T SEE MUCH UGLY STAGE. IF ANYTHING PERHAPS A MINI CYCLE. DON'T KEEP WATER TOO CLEAN WITH ZERO PO4 OR ELSE DINO WILL APPEAR.
tank looks good so far. my response/comments are in CAPS. GL

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you already know the mandarin is going to have scare food. If I missed it somewhere sorry in advance, but you should be adding pods if you haven't already.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back