1st icp results need help

Discussion in 'Triton Applied Reef Bioscience' started by techhnyne, Dec 5, 2017.

1. techhnyne

techhnyne Well-Known Member

Tags:

2. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member

Seems like the only heavy metals are
    Li -lithium, everyone has. It’s from salt mix.
    Fe- iron
    S - Sulpher
    Zn - zinc

Out of curiosity, do you run gfo? What kind? What kind of sand are you using? What pumps do you have?

Again just curious.

3. techhnyne

I use the BRS GFO
    Natures Ocean araginite sand
    Jebeo pumps

I was using instant ocean salt then moved to reef crystals I have fritz salt that i will be using for the next water change if i have to do one

4. techhnyne

5. nukinfuts72

nukinfuts72 Active Member

6. techhnyne

i guess i have to go to home depot and look at one on the shelf i cant find out any info online

7. Dogtown

Dogtown Well-Known Member

Iron is beneficial and drops very quickly. Many, including myself, dose it daily so I would not worry. Remember that with an icp test result, just because a value is higher than nsw, it doesn’t mean your corals are suffering. Do you have cheato? Cheato needs iron and uses it up quickly.

8. techhnyne

i have cheato but it doesnt grow I also have some corals that havent opened in weeks that are barely hanging on

9. techhnyne

10. Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I don't know about leaching "through" the rubber. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely. I would think more of the culprit would be the clamp itself. If it's showing signs of corrosion portions of it are flaking off and likely hitting the water. There are plastic ones made by EShopps (I think) that you put on with a pair of pliers.

Check out this thread and Tim's first response. That may answer your question on whether it's a corrosion issue or some other source https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/heavy-metals.317095/#post-3913086

Also, I had the marinepure blocks and high AL in a previous tank. When I took them out and did some water changes it went away...

11. techhnyne

again I do not have any metals near the tank of anywhere if comes in contact with water so im trying to find where else stuff leach from

12. Fritzhamer

Fritzhamer Well-Known Member

The zinc could be from the jebao pumps, the sulpher, eh sulpher dioxide maybe In the sand? The other metals while higher than nsw, aren’t a big deal at all (iron and lithium).

13. Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Maybe I misunderstood then. Where is this metal clamp you were talking about? I think I assumed it was in close proximity to the water.

14. Fishfinder

Fishfinder Well-Known Member

Check your powerheads and return pump

15. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor

Metals will not leach through rubber, like from those metal clamps into the interior water (assuming the clamps themselves are outside the water).

The aluminum is quite possibly from the Marine Pure. I don't think it is currently high enough to be a substantial problem.

Your sulfur/sulfate is likely from the salt mix unless you dose a lot of things as the sulfate form (e.g., Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate).

Potassium is quite high. Are you dosing it? Using Vibrant Sea salt mix?

16. techhnyne

I am not dosing anything
    I was using reef crystals and instant ocean salt. But some reasons my toadstool hasnt been open in over a month he is just shrinking. And my acons and scoly are shrinking into their skeleton. No idea whats going on but i dont like it. I was thinking its the metals cause no idea why else would do this

Draft saved Draft deleted