1st icp results need help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the only heavy metals are
Li -lithium, everyone has. It’s from salt mix.
Fe- iron
S - Sulpher
Zn - zinc

Out of curiosity, do you run gfo? What kind? What kind of sand are you using? What pumps do you have?

Again just curious.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the only heavy metals are
Li -lithium, everyone has. It’s from salt mix.
Fe- iron
S - Sulpher
Zn - zinc

Out of curiosity, do you run gfo? What kind? What kind of sand are you using? What pumps do you have?

Again just curious.
I use the BRS GFO
Natures Ocean araginite sand
Jebeo pumps

I was using instant ocean salt then moved to reef crystals I have fritz salt that i will be using for the next water change if i have to do one

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the flapper made out of ? Does it have a stainless or steel pin holding the flapper or is it all plastic?
i guess i have to go to home depot and look at one on the shelf i cant find out any info online

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is beneficial and drops very quickly. Many, including myself, dose it daily so I would not worry. Remember that with an icp test result, just because a value is higher than nsw, it doesn’t mean your corals are suffering. Do you have cheato? Cheato needs iron and uses it up quickly.

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iron is beneficial and drops very quickly. Many, including myself, dose it daily so I would not worry. Remember that with an icp test result, just because a value is higher than nsw, it doesn’t mean your corals are suffering. Do you have cheato? Cheato needs iron and uses it up quickly.
i have cheato but it doesnt grow I also have some corals that havent opened in weeks that are barely hanging on

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about leaching "through" the rubber. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely. I would think more of the culprit would be the clamp itself. If it's showing signs of corrosion portions of it are flaking off and likely hitting the water. There are plastic ones made by EShopps (I think) that you put on with a pair of pliers.

Check out this thread and Tim's first response. That may answer your question on whether it's a corrosion issue or some other source https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/heavy-metals.317095/#post-3913086

Also, I had the marinepure blocks and high AL in a previous tank. When I took them out and did some water changes it went away...

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about leaching "through" the rubber. I suppose it's possible, but unlikely. I would think more of the culprit would be the clamp itself. If it's showing signs of corrosion portions of it are flaking off and likely hitting the water. There are plastic ones made by EShopps (I think) that you put on with a pair of pliers.

Check out this thread and Tim's first response. That may answer your question on whether it's a corrosion issue or some other source https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/heavy-metals.317095/#post-3913086

Also, I had the marinepure blocks and high AL in a previous tank. When I took them out and did some water changes it went away...
again I do not have any metals near the tank of anywhere if comes in contact with water so im trying to find where else stuff leach from

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zinc could be from the jebao pumps, the sulpher, eh sulpher dioxide maybe In the sand? The other metals while higher than nsw, aren’t a big deal at all (iron and lithium).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metals will not leach through rubber, like from those metal clamps into the interior water (assuming the clamps themselves are outside the water).

The aluminum is quite possibly from the Marine Pure. I don't think it is currently high enough to be a substantial problem.

Your sulfur/sulfate is likely from the salt mix unless you dose a lot of things as the sulfate form (e.g., Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate).

Potassium is quite high. Are you dosing it? Using Vibrant Sea salt mix?

OP
OP
techhnyne

techhnyne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metals will not leach through rubber, like from those metal clamps into the interior water (assuming the clamps themselves are outside the water).

The aluminum is quite possibly from the Marine Pure. I don't think it is currently high enough to be a substantial problem.

Your sulfur/sulfate is likely from the salt mix unless you dose a lot of things as the sulfate form (e.g., Epsom salt, magnesium sulfate).

Potassium is quite high. Are you dosing it? Using Vibrant Sea salt mix?
I am not dosing anything
I was using reef crystals and instant ocean salt. But some reasons my toadstool hasnt been open in over a month he is just shrinking. And my acons and scoly are shrinking into their skeleton. No idea whats going on but i dont like it. I was thinking its the metals cause no idea why else would do this

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been pulling my hair out for 6 weeks now, I am having a similar situation with the Triton ICP testing:
https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/52018/

Elevated Iron and Zinc. I am not running any GFO as I use NoPoX on a dosing pump which by the looks of it need to be increased again.. But I have had 3 ICP tests conducted over the last 3 months and have had nearly the same results in each of the tests.. Iron and Zinc.. I tore down my entire sump to look if a screw or something could have got in there somehow? Also the same to my Fuge and found nothing, but my corals have been very drab the last 3-5 months less color and far less PE.. I really don't want to tear down my entire tank chasing a wild goose and not find anything or worse find something and suffer losses and the gorgeous growth I have see over the past 3 years...

I was feeding 2 Full size sheets of Nori 1 Green and 1 Purple/red and thought to myself maybe its the Nori (the Red one) as the color Red is usually associated with Iron ? But stopped feeding for 2 weeks and ran Poly Filters and Coppersorb before testing with Triton again ?

The one thing I keep thinking about is My 2 year old jebao wp60 pump? Its the only cheap thing in this system and have heard of problems with Chinese pumps having similar side effects, but not often and never can tel for sure if its just propaganda or truth in all honesty?
IMG_8709.jpg

victorcan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there seems to be alot of metal in my tank and i looked over everything and can not seem to find any metal. where can this be coming from?

Can it be my marine pure blocks?

https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/aquarium/auswertung-b/icp-oes/49934/

Lol 4 moths of searching and just went in to take the jebao out of the system and my wife asked what are you doing and I said trying to find whatever is feeding my tank Iron and Zinc, a rusty screw or something I said has gotta be in the system.. She took a 1 5 second look and says theres all kinds of rust right there... I look and the hinges to my canopy on the bottom part of the canopy are all rusted out and theres even rust powder on the ledge of the tank, with every time the door opens and closes it rubs and rust falls off the hinge right into the tank... So now I just hooked up a huge micron filter (Home made from pool and spa parts) and another 3000 gah pump blowing off every rock and coral directly with a hose in corners everywhere that anything deposits to try and get and particulate matter thats just decaying and rusting off the rock , pretty sure this is the culprit but thought techhnyne could this be a similar issue for you ?? Took a couple pics, the rusty hinge is easy but on the inner ledge the Blue from the light wacks it out but theres a pile of rust inside the bottom run of the canopy :( Geesh.....

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 9.54.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 9.55.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 9.55.39 PM.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%
Back