Heavy Metals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my latest results back today and showed some elevated heavy metals. Showing Tin at 2.777 and Aluminum at 17. Lists any metals in the stand (duh) or possibly contaminated salt mix.

I'm suspicious of the hinges I picked when I made the stand, I've wanted to changed those out anyway and have already been showing some issues with the salt water. But the last test on 7-4 showed 0 for tin and 3.789 for Aluminum.

The only other thing I did was I changed out 2 gallons of water (out of 140) when I made a couple baths for coral dip. Used Tropic Marin salt, not the pro.

So am I right to be more suspicious of the hinges than the water change considering it's only %1?

I'm going to do the water changes as suggested, am I correct in thinking I should I not worry about some of those correction doses? Since with the water changes it's going to be a whole new set of levels once I water change the metals away.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are dealing with corrosion you generally see several metals such as Tin, Iron, Zinc, Cobalt etc.

If it is only Tin and Aluminium then I would tend to look more towards additives such as bacteria products and trace mixes...

Don't get me wrong if you hinges are on their way out then definitely change them out and get the new ones covered in petroleum jelly.

As far as trace adjustments go yes don't worry about them at the moment, deal with the contaminations first.

VP616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is only Tin and Aluminium then I would tend to look more towards additives such as bacteria products and trace mixes...

Genuinely curious: what bacteria products are known to have tin in them and why would they utilize metals such as tin and aluminum in their dosing mixtures/cultures?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genuinely curious: what bacteria products are known to have tin in them and why would they utilize metals such as tin and aluminum in their dosing mixtures/cultures?

+1

My levels compared to op is super elevated
Sn 48
Ai 51
Li 770

OP
OP
Shameless_Dood

Shameless_Dood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are dealing with corrosion you generally see several metals such as Tin, Iron, Zinc, Cobalt etc.

Don't get me wrong if you hinges are on their way out then definitely change them out and get the new ones covered in petroleum jelly.

As far as trace adjustments go yes don't worry about them at the moment, deal with the contaminations first.

Ahh. I forgot did use up a magnesium supplement I had from the results of the last test.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton test at also come back with some heavy metals. I believe it was tungsten copper and I can't remember the others. I had changed out some equipment that I believe was causing some stray voltage. I'm hoping that was the source. It was recommended to me to use these.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/poly-bio-marine-filter-pads
They will absorb some of the heavy metals and other contaminants and also will turn colors to show you what they are absorbing.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton test at also come back with some heavy metals. I believe it was tungsten copper and I can't remember the others. I had changed out some equipment that I believe was causing some stray voltage. I'm hoping that was the source. It was recommended to me to use these.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/poly-bio-marine-filter-pads
They will absorb some of the heavy metals and other contaminants and also will turn colors to show you what they are absorbing.
My tank had Tungsten Too.
Did anybody else have high Tungsten levels?

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came back with Aluminum and from what ive found it was in the Media I was using for phospate. Was using Kent phospate sponge with has aluminum in it.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came back with Aluminum and from what ive found it was in the Media I was using for phospate. Was using Kent phospate sponge with has aluminum in it.
Rowaphos will remove the aluminum. I switch back and forth between Al99 and Rowaphos so there is no build up of heavy metals.

Back