1st timer with a RoDi bioster pump

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st run making rodi water with this unit. And 1st time with a booster pump ever. I'm currently haven't seen the psi lvl go back over 40 after adjusting the pressure screw originally. I tighten the pressure adjuster screw a quarter turn at a time and nothing happened. The screw got some pressure behind it but nothing crazy. I felt something click after going another quarter turn.

PSI still didn't changed, I thought my well kicked on and I seen it jump up to 80. So I backed the screw down tell it dropped down to 30. Now its steady at 40 psi. If I turn the pump off pressure goes down to 30. The pump seems loud to me.
Everything else seems normal.

I feel like I just have a bad pump.

What's else could I check or do to get the pressure up.

20200307_155242.jpg 20200307_145838.jpg

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things;

It's recommended to install a filter/strainer before the pump to keep the valve assembly clean of larger particles that can jam it up.
BRS Booster-Pump-Filter

The adjustment screw is not used to increase pressure; it only reduces pressure as it's connected to an internal bypass.
You may need to contact your point of purchase as the bypass is factory set and you will most likely need some help getting it back to where it belongs, or at the very least trouble-shoot a possibly defective unit.

The factory-set bypass is set to 115psi so you should have been seeing at least 80 coming out of your unit. Either it's defective or clogged.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thought;
Double-check your Spectra Pure manual to ensure you have the flush valve closed. If not it may be the sole problem.

In your first picture it looks open

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to look into the pump placement. Might have read that wrong two. Thanks for your help.
I'll have to go over everything again later to be safe. The pumps still seems loud to be. Think I'll remount everything on a more sucure surface.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more point about installing a pressure pump.....you ideally want the pump spliced in between your last carbon block and the membrane. There is no need to pressurize sediment/carbon filters....and actually could be problematic. This way there is no need for a pre filter for the pump.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more point about installing a pressure pump.....you ideally want the pump spliced in between your last carbon block and the membrane. There is no need to pressurize sediment/carbon filters....and actually could be problematic. This way there is no need for a pre filter for the pump.
Good point. I don't use one so never looked into it.
I'm surprised this info isn't in their install instructions. Instead in this manual I found online they recommend .....

SpectraPure® SpectraPure®Inc. 480.894.5437 Call us toll-free 1.800.685.2783 2167 East Fifth St, Tempe, Arizona 85281 4 PUMP INSTALLATION and MOUNTING 1. Aquatec’s Booster Pump is equipped with an adjustable bypass screw that controls maximum operating pressure. Never allow pressure to exceed 100 PSI. 2. DO NOT operate booster pump in harsh environment. (Motor brush and switch may cause electrical arcing.) 3. As long as there is feed water pressure, the booster pump will not stop forward flowing water, even if the motor is turned off! (Be sure that the System has a positive means of shutting off the water supply.) 4. Operate pump on systems that are equipped with a pressure gauge. Install a pressure gauge kit if needed. 5. DO NOT subject pump to extreme temperatures. Operating ambient temperature range is 35°F-110°F. 6. Avoid any sharp bends in tubing that is leading to or from the pump. This may cause crimps and restrict flow. Use elbow fittings if necessary. 7. To prevent foreign debris from damaging the pump, use of an inline sediment filter upstream of the pump’s inlet port is recommended. 8. Mount pump in a dry place and away from any source heat. If an enclosure is used, provisions for cooling the motor may be necessary. Contact Aquatec.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok sorry my mother is in town and the kids are going crazy....

So I have it set to 50 psi at the moment. I Turned everything off for now. Was going to clean the storage bins before moving forward and figure out this booster pump position 1st.

I got this pump with 3/8 plumping since I thought it would go before the unit. The water going in is 3/8 and everything else is 1/4. Is that going to be a proplem?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As was brought up, pressurizing the clear canisters isn't necessary and can cause leaks/failures.
You could always pick up some 3/8 - 1/4 reducers and install the pump supply and output hoses between your carbon and membrane.
Or better yet ask your vendor if you are able to swap it.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked up the manual from the pump I recieved and it says

"Locate the pump after the sediment pre-filter and before the carbon pre-filter (if part of R.O. system)

In the Spectra Pure manual that happens to be the same pump make/model says to put it after the carbon and befor the membrane.

I'll get some adaptor tomorrow and move it. I will re install it befor the membrane.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And all this time I have had mine right after the water source and feeding my prefilter. Ya learn something new everyday.

I am not sure about what the manual is talking about when it says shutoff the source water when the pump stops. Are they saying you need a solenoid to turn off the mains water source when the pump is of?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about what the manual is talking about when it says shutoff the source water when the pump stops. Are they saying you need a solenoid to turn off the mains water source when the pump is of?
I've read this as well. Sounds like some pumps allow source water pressure through the pump head requiring you to shut off the source when not making water.

OP
OP
BeMoto

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! Moved the pump over to the right location. I might be wrong but it appears the 1/4 pump from BRS is the same as the 3/8 version. They just add a lock line adapter that has a 3/8 male sleeve and a female 1/4 fitting. I'm going to order one if I find it just to clean up install.

I found a video showing the install with my exact motor and rodi unit. I'm currently running water at 60 psi.

The pump is alot quieter and seems to be running better than befor. I would like to remount the entire RoDi unit so the filters and TDS metors are more easier to see. Having mounted like above makes it hard to see anything.

Also looking at an auto shutoff switch and a solenoid on a timer. I want to be able to make water safely. Thinking about getting 1 larger storage container to eliminate a float valve. I live in Michigan if knows where I can get one.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 44.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 104 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.8%
Back