(2) AI Prime HD's / 1 AI Hydra 26 / Or Reef Breeder Photon v2 ?

Lighting

• Total voters

iOweYou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about one of these led fixtures for my IM 25Gallon Lagoon
24 x 20 x 12
As of right now, Planning to go SPS Dominate. Which one do you guys prefer i should pick up? I want a good spread throughout my tank. As of right now, My rockscape covers about 18" Long and about 14" Width in the aquarium.
Thanks in advance !
Edit: I am on a 500 dollar budget

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1809.JPG
I'll save you the trouble. I had a kessil a160we tuna blue on my 25 and didn't like it. Got a ai prime hd and it wasn't enough. Put my hydra 26 and it blows all expectations. No dead spots nothing. Growing sps better than any kessil would.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would always go with the 2 light sources to help with shading. That being said I think the prime HD is a great value with the built in wifi control. I would certainly consider them for most any tank that isn't overly deep.

I do understand the 26 is 2 pucks, but due to the close placement of them I still would consider it "basically" one light source. So I would especially vote 2 Prime HD for a 12" deep tank.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joeganja has some great advice, and I would have to agree. The Hydra 26 hd is what you need and under budget;)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own and run a 24 x 24 x 12 with 2 x AI primes , If I had to be honest 1 worked better 2 is overkill and I have since raised them from the mount height 11" to over 20" and use 2 over a 48x18x12! my best cube setup was when I slapped one onto my 4 bulb t5 and used that ! IMHO I would get 1 HD with the wire hangar so you can really jack it up high the spread will more than cover that at around 16" and give you very good PAR and color , remember over 250 PAR is not a good thing for photosynthesis . I would run the white bulbs all day then switch to blues at night , viewing ext. The 450nm spike is in the coolwhite bulbs anyhow. and the modular design of the prime means youll always be able to expand them to larger tanks in the future , it really is my fav high end "puck" light you can easily program them the follow an east/ west intensity for more rounded out growth patterns , ya know .... like nature

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great informations and opinions, guys ! Really helpful
Your welcome. Let us know what you went forward with, it always good to here what the turnout was:)

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome. Let us know what you went forward with, it always good to here what the turnout was:)
^^^ what he said ! R2R is the best ! We would love to know the final outcome ! happy reefing !!!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the Hydra26hd for a 90 gallon I bought 2 last week
depending on the length and the width they should do well. What size in the 90?

charlesncharge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1820.JPG
IMG_1809.JPG
I'll save you the trouble. I had a kessil a160we tuna blue on my 25 and didn't like it. Got a ai prime hd and it wasn't enough. Put my hydra 26 and it blows all expectations. No dead spots nothing. Growing sps better than any kessil would.
I really like your tank! I also have An im25 with hydra 26 but cant seeem to fine the right settings for my livestock! What is your settings? Height? Photo time?
I only have 2rbta’s, 1 gbta and 1 maxima clam! Pistol shrimp,fire shrimp, and a mated pair of maroons! I also did not like the Kessil a160we i had on it!!
Any help would be appreciated as there is not much info with this setup! Thxs

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back