2 Cleaner shrimp acting strange at the same time

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just purchased 2 cleaners on Friday, I've had them before and had one for nearly 2 years, love these guys, but these two were doing great until earlier today. At literally the exact same time, they went down to the sand bed away from the rock and just say these moving their arms and swimmerettes , and not really walking at all. Thought it was strange but figured maybe it was a pre-molt sorta thing. Here they are, 5 hours later and they are "alive"? they are essentially not moving at all but haven't done the usual curl up or change color or do anything, I'm not honestly sure if they are alive or dead, but either way, why would this happen at the exact same time? They both seemed to have adjusted well the first night and day, and were fine last night too. Little while ago I fed and top off the tank very slightly, came back an hour later and that's when it happened. I checked salinity and It barely moved, like less than what my refractometer would read. Tested every other parameter that could affect them and pH was 8.0 and everything else was 0, I have other inverts that I thought would've reacted to something faster than them, especially my urchin since I've killed them before by topping off a tank. What could've happened here? What would happen that would cause this behavior and possible death at the exact same time? My theory was they didn't adjust well and fail molted but I don't even see any evidence of an attempt at molting. I don't know anything about invert parasites as I've never dealt with them before in any tank I've owned, so is that a possibility? Not really sure here tbh. Kinda stumped and bummed out.

currently 10:30 and they are still standing there. Just did a water change, going to see if that helps anything.

I'll also say that I have dosed my usual stuff these past few days as well, but that's mainly just coral supplements so I don't know how that'd hurt them.

Anyway, thanks. Will post any updates but I am stumped atm.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time the refractometer was calibrated?
How much water did you top off with and what is the volume of your tank?
Which coral supplements are you dosing/what is everything that has been dosed since introducing the shrimp?

OP
OP
gavinb612

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When was the last time the refractometer was calibrated?
How much water did you top off with and what is the volume of your tank?
Which coral supplements are you dosing/what is everything that has been dosed since introducing the shrimp?
Calibrated it quite recently. It was less than a quarter of a gallon added. Tank volume is 43g and supplements I used are aquavitro's fuel and 8.4. both did end up dying as well. Exact same time.

OP
OP
gavinb612

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would thawed frozen food that had been in the fridge for a couple days be the culprit? A friend told me about this and I tried it out with a seal jar. But my fish all ate just fine and had no issues. So i'm not sure, gonna stop doing that either way though, just in case that did it.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea, but based on the timing, I'm leaning away from failed molt or thawed food. Cleaners are pretty sensitive to changes in pH/salinity/temperature,oxygen saturation, so my money is still in the dosing of one of the chemicals, given the timing. Those might be red herrings, but it's at least where I would start with and is usually the culprit. I would double check the calibration of the refractometer today (with solution, not RODI water), the temperature of the tank with a second device, and double check the ammonia level.

OP
OP
gavinb612

gavinb612

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea, but based on the timing, I'm leaning away from failed molt or thawed food. Cleaners are pretty sensitive to changes in pH/salinity/temperature,oxygen saturation, so my money is still in the dosing of one of the chemicals, given the timing. Those might be red herrings, but it's at least where I would start with and is usually the culprit. I would double check the calibration of the refractometer today (with solution, not RODI water), the temperature of the tank with a second device, and double check the ammonia level.
Wow. Huh i never really gave it a second thought, so what would be the better thing to do next time? Not dose for a longer period after adding, or dosing smaller than usual for a while after adding? I’ve been the hobby a while and never really considered that.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for most situations you don't need to change too much after adding sensitive inverts- I would always start with a really solid drip acclimation and maintaining a gradual change in temperature/salinity. From there, I usually try and make sure I'm not going to be disturbing the water chemistry too much- in certain situations that might be continuing to do exactly what you were doing before and in others you may need to dose smaller amounts more frequently. If you're topping off water, you should measure your temperature/salinity before and after the top off- if they don't really move, you need not worry.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back