2 display tanks running on the same filtration system (sump)

Skinner'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Im going to start building a cube tank and stand tomorrow, not sure what demensions yet, I want to do something a little different with it though.
Im going to put this new tank next to the tank I currently have and I was thinking about how I can run both tanks through the same sump. Has anyone done this before and is there any reasons why its not a good idea? The new cube tank I want to build is going to be small so I wont be adding very much more water maybe 10-15 gallons so I don't think im going to need a bigger skimmer or anything like that im more curious on how im going to get the water to flow correctly. Do you make it one circuit of water flowing through both tanks then to the sump or do you do 2 seperate circuits where both tanks have a siphon to the sump and a return pump back to DT? If I put the new cube a bit lower than my current tank the water can siphon from my main DT into the new cube,then siphon from the new cube to the sump and be returned back to the main DT. The new cube tank will never get any fresh water from the sump in this case. I don't have anything set in stone yet im Just curious if anybodies done this before and how they did it, or any helpful ideas or tips are appreciated. Sorry if this is drawn out and redundant, hope it all makes sense haha, Thanks.
I will keep you guys updated with the build once I get this thing figured out.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've set up systems both ways and either works fine. Getting the flow right is a bigger issue if you're feeding the large tank to the small tank to the sump. Personally I would have two seperrate circuits. I would suggest doing flow charts on paper with both configurations and figure out the flow rates and look what happens if the pump(s) are turned off. The one thing you want to avoid is having any kind of valve or restriction anywhere on a drian or siphon to reduce the risk of something clogging and causing a flood.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same situation here. I have a primary 265 display, with auxiliary 15 and 20 displays. They are all plumbed into the same sump, with sufficient capacity for all 3 displays losing power. I have 1 return pump for the main display and 1 shared return pump for the 2 smaller tanks.
It's a lot of plumbing routing into a relatively small sump area, but I'm happy with the fact that I really only have 1 system to maintain.

OP
OP
Skinner'sReef

Skinner'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome so I will continue on with it then seems like nobody has any negative comments about it. Im going to need a small return pump then ill run 2 separate "circuits" Cant wait to show you guys how it turns out. Im going to have glass slabs cut tomorrow and Ill assemble the tank and stand. Going to be a very simple stand since it wont even require a sump underneath. Thanks for all the feedback!

OP
OP
Skinner'sReef

Skinner'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cube tank im going to build should be small enough I should be able to drain the entire thing into the sump without a flood if for some reason I had to.

NVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question on this topic. Is there a reason why you couldn't have a single return pump with a Y where each side has a valve to control return volume? Are the valves even necessary? As long as the pump can't exceed the drain volume, shouldn't this be fine?

OP
OP
Skinner'sReef

Skinner'sReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting.... I don't see why not? I might actually try that this weekend im sure my pump is powerful enough.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back