2 part doser recommendation

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of my apex controlling everything but am open to other options. Not looking to break the bank. I would prefer to manually dose instead of using something unreliable and kill everything.
My options:

1. I can pick up 2 1.1 ml used brs dosers for 60 total - talking to brs the amount dosed will be consistent but not exactly 1.1. The length of tubing matters in the flow rate so when testing make sure using exact tubing. Not sure if that is true for all dosers?

2. Apex Dos - pricer maybe goes sale on black friday, but have heard mixed reviews on this?

3. Bubble Magus - I have seen them used for about 100 but also heard mixed and its not integrated with apex.

4. GHL - people seem to like but pricy

5. IV units - cool idea, seems very precise but too large for my liking

6. Manual - by far the cheapest, safest option but most pain

7. Something you guys can think of that I am missing that is better.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of my apex controlling everything but am open to other options. Not looking to break the bank. I would prefer to manually dose instead of using something unreliable and kill everything.
My options:

1. I can pick up 2 1.1 ml used brs dosers for 60 total - talking to brs the amount dosed will be consistent but not exactly 1.1. The length of tubing matters in the flow rate so when testing make sure using exact tubing. Not sure if that is true for all dosers?

2. Apex Dos - pricer maybe goes sale on black friday, but have heard mixed reviews on this?

3. Bubble Magus - I have seen them used for about 100 but also heard mixed and its not integrated with apex.

I would think the BRS dosers would be a good solution for you. I don't know why the length of dosing tube would matter though, it shouldn't. And it would still be completely Apex controlled as long as you turn them on and off using a controllable outlet.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think the BRS dosers would be a good solution for you. I don't know why the length of dosing tube would matter though, it shouldn't. And it would still be completely Apex controlled as long as you turn them on and off using a controllable outlet.
The guy I spoke to via chat mentioned that but how high I mount it would not matter. Seems odd to me. I was asking about how to figure out what the actual flow will be since they vary pump to pump. I do like that solution - pretty hard for it to fail on if you send the apex to fallback off for those outlets. Only problem is you have to use outlet 4 and 8 since they are low powered pumps. I saw a solution where you could use an outlet adapter that had an led in it and then you could use it on the other outlets. Cant seem to find that right now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy I spoke to via chat mentioned that but how high I mount it would not matter. Seems odd to me. I was asking about how to figure out what the actual flow will be since they vary pump to pump. I do like that solution - pretty hard for it to fail on if you send the apex to fallback off for those outlets. Only problem is you have to use outlet 4 and 8 since they are low powered pumps. I saw a solution where you could use an outlet adapter that had an led in it and then you could use it on the other outlets. Cant seem to find that right now.
I don't understand the recommendation for using the non-triac outlets. Normally outlets 4 and 8 would be used for larger loads since they are rated for more current.

Determining actual flow is easy. I picked up one of these kits, in part to calibrate my GHL dosers.
https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Gradua...1540228977&sr=1-3&keywords=graduated+cylinder

Set the doser to run for 2 minutes and collect what it uses in the cylinder. Divide it by 2 and you have its actual dose per minute rate. I test my calibrations at least monthly since it can change as the tubing and rollers wear.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you cannot beat spectrapure’s peristaltic pumps.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the recommendation for using the non-triac outlets. Normally outlets 4 and 8 would be used for larger loads since they are rated for more current.

Determining actual flow is easy. I picked up one of these kits, in part to calibrate my GHL dosers.
https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Gradua...1540228977&sr=1-3&keywords=graduated+cylinder

Set the doser to run for 2 minutes and collect what it uses in the cylinder. Divide it by 2 and you have its actual dose per minute rate. I test my calibrations at least monthly since it can change as the tubing and rollers wear.
It is actually large or very small loads. I have to run an aqualifter on one of those outlets right now.

msl5078

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the beaker recommendation, was going to get the 4 piece oxo on brs but for a couple bucks more this seems really nice!

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a controller, which I think you said you do, and are into a little DIY I would recommend these:

http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SP100FO

you will want the 3mm tubing @ 8 rpm, they work just as good as the BRS ones IMO. Ran them on my old tank for 2 years, and plan to reuse on my new build.
Thanks but I can get 2 fully function brs pumps for that price (56) and not much less than new brs pumps (70). It is a cool idea though.

msl5078

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I can get 2 fully function brs pumps for that price (56) and not much less than new brs pumps (70). It is a cool idea though.

Just make sure you factor in the cost of replacement tubes. You can get them from many places, but they should be changed once per year if I recall. That’s what I did anyway.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you factor in the cost of replacement tubes. You can get them from many places, but they should be changed once per year if I recall. That’s what I did anyway.
Yeah there is a tube (13$) that should be replaced yearly.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these litremeters? Sorry do you have a link? I am guessing this is pricy.

yes the litermeter pumps. 5 year warranty is well worth the price. they last well beyond 5 years though.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for Apex DOS. Love mine. I have 4 total: BRS 2-part, Magnesium, Red Sea Colors (A,B,C and D) and 1 pump left for Strontium. All controlled by my Apex.

OP
OP
C

CJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 for Apex DOS. Love mine. I have 4 total: BRS 2-part, Magnesium, Red Sea Colors (A,B,C and D) and 1 pump left for Strontium. All controlled by my Apex.
Yeah pricer solution but nice. Just going with the brs dosers since I got them real cheap.

Johnson556

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex dos, "upgraded" from BRS dosers.

My vote is BRS 1.1ml dosers, once calibrated they work great, quiet and you can code them however you please (on fusion).

Neptune dos is loud and I'm unhappy with its dosing program. Still need to dive into the classic dashboard and do things how I want, dosing calcium/alk at the same time every 10 minutes is annoying.

OPtasia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of my apex controlling everything but am open to other options. Not looking to break the bank. I would prefer to manually dose instead of using something unreliable and kill everything. .

I'd suggest Triton by Apex but it's not ready yet. I have a brand new DOS/DDS combo for my 90 gallon tank build. I haven't even hooked it up yet but it should work fine.

You are correct in thinking that no matter which doser you use, you will need to prime it. There's a manual button on the DOS unit that allows you to do that. Through Fusion, you can set a custom "full" level for your two containers. They're pre-set to alarm once they get used up down to 10% if I remember correctly.

RFL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Neptune Systems DOS. I've been running mine for about six months now without a hiccup. Fast and easy to setup, calibrate and program via APEX. A bit pricey I'll admit, but for me the convenience of setup, single source (Neptune Systems) for support if and when needed, and flawless performance to date make it worth every cent. By the way, it'll dose in increments of .1 mil which is really handy for us Nano refers.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My options:

Use BRS. I don't think the calibration matters that much anyway - I just test every couple weeks, and increase/decrease based on what it should be for 1/1 ml/min. Consumption won't stay exactly the same anyway, so you'll be changing the dosing as you add/remove corals.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back