2 tanks can’t decide. Help!!!

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I’m currently having to decide on 2 tanks and I don’t know what to do. Some guy is selling a 220 for $200 and it’s drilled. The tank does have one scratch in the top left corner of the tank. Tank is 10 years old and needs a reseal. All that is no big deal to me. Another guy just offered a 180 acrylic tank for an anemone, Duncan (100+ heads) and hammer coral. Only problem is this guy lives an hour and a half away and I need to move it my self. He said there are some scratches on the outside but can be wet sanded and buffed out. I’m currently upgrading from a 125. I want the tank to be drilled so not sure what to do here. I would have to drill the acrylic tank and add an over flow box. So which do I go with here??? Need to know asap

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a glass tank over an acrylic due to the clarity of glass depends on how big the scratch is in the glass tank. You said you didn’t mind doing the reseal. Ultimately your decision but I would go glass

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the picture of the scratch

8E39B038-B924-4FEA-B2E7-C7B4138D0811.jpeg

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not in a hurry, I say choose option #3

WAIT

....on a 3rd tank that's what you want with no compromises bc ppl are constantly getting out of this hobby and used tanks are pretty abundant via Craigslists.

I found both of these off Facebook. I’m supposed to be meeting one guy tomorrow for the 220. what I want is a 180 minimum. I want a drilled tank. So you think I should wait? I feel used tanks are always going to have some kind of compromise unless I’m paying $3-5/per gallon. Which is something I don’t wanna do. I feel like trying to find a 180 gallon that’s in good shape drilled sealed and ready to go will be super hard to come across and cost $600-1000 easily. In this case I have 2 tanks of what I’m looking for for $200-300 in total expenses.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found both of these off Facebook. I’m supposed to be meeting one guy tomorrow for the 220. what I want is a 180 minimum. I want a drilled tank. So you think I should wait? I feel used tanks are always going to have some kind of compromise unless I’m paying $3-5/per gallon. Which is something I don’t wanna do. I feel like trying to find a 180 gallon that’s in good shape drilled sealed and ready to go will be super hard to come across and cost $600-1000 easily. In this case I have 2 tanks of what I’m looking for for $200-300 in total expenses.
ultimately it's your preference on what you want.

That upper corner scratch IMO is s major gouge/scrape and defects like that usually fill in with glass algae film quickly making it look worse. You'll be cleaning that scrape every other day..... unless the scrape in your mind is not a distraction.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the glas tank is due a reseal, you could price a new pane and the trim. Would be some work but might be cheaper than buying new.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want bigger and drilled go 220. Both tanks will have little issues as you stated but if you're thinking bigger you wont be happy with smaller...just my 2cent and ya its scratched but nothing some GSP wont cover...sorry bad joke

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not in a hurry, I say choose option #3

WAIT

....on a 3rd tank that's what you want with no compromises bc ppl are constantly getting out of this hobby and used tanks are pretty abundant via Craigslists.

+1 on waiting I know it sucks but BF coming up lots of ppl will get new tanks and maybe there will be some nice one to grab? you might have to wait a few months and drive a bit to get it but prob. get a better tank.

have you done a large tank reseal? I personally would not trust myself to do it on a large tank.

you can get a new 180 for around 850 -1K I know that is a lot of $$ but if you did not want to wait.

I would request a video of the acrylic tank to check that out before driving. but IMHO I dont get a good vibe for either tank.

but it's your call man, wish you the best!

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m leaning towards the 220 but Is 30” too deep? I run kessil a360 and t5 hybrid setup

I am curious about this as well. I am just starting in saltwater but it seems to me that I would not ever want to go deeper than our current 25" and when we are ready to go bigger I would be looking for 20"-24" tall maximum. It just seems like with 30" deep I would need a mask and snorkel. :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...on a 3rd tank that's what you want with no compromises bc ppl are constantly getting out of this hobby and used tanks are pretty abundant via Craigslists.
That ain't a scratch, that tank corners been mauled.
Hey there ! I would wait for a 180 to pop up. I was on FB market and Michigan Saltwater classifieds and seen several large
systems for 200, there is also a South east Mi SW Classified . Scratches in a tank would bother me.
I just tossed a 75 gallon in the trash because I didn't want it sitting around, You will find a 2 or three YO tank.
Hey any good LFS out there on the west side?

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there ! I would wait for a 180 to pop up. I was on FB market and Michigan Saltwater classifieds and seen several large
systems for 200, there is also a South east Mi SW Classified . Scratches in a tank would bother me.
I just tossed a 75 gallon in the trash because I didn't want it sitting around, You will find a 2 or three YO tank.
I'm in all those groups haha the best fish store that I have found is pet connections out in livonia

havent been out to the west side

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres all the FB groups in im for Michigan. Michigan aquarium classified, Michigan reefers classified, corals in Michigan, michigan saltwater classified, Northern OH, SE MI, and northern IN saltwater aquarium enthusiasts.

any other good groups out there?

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used and cratched acrylic on impulse and completely refinished it. It's still not as clear as any of my glass tanks. +1 on the wait for what you really want. I'm upgrading to a glass 265 that I should have bought to begin with.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait it out for something newer/nicer.... in better condition even if you have to pay a bit more it will still be a good amount cheaper than new. People are constantly getting out of the hobby so you can generally find something you really like if its standard dimensions. You will probably have this tank a long time so don't settle.

OP
OP
Jvesche20

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used and cratched acrylic on impulse and completely refinished it. It's still not as clear as any of my glass tanks. +1 on the wait for what you really want. I'm upgrading to a glass 265 that I should have bought to begin with.
Wait it out for something newer/nicer.... in better condition even if you have to pay a bit more it will still be a good amount cheaper than new. People are constantly getting out of the hobby so you can generally find something you really like if its standard dimensions. You will probably have this tank a long time so don't settle.

Seems like everyone agrees on waiting. Thats what I think I'm going to do!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back