20 Gallon Long Reef

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will be my return to reef keeping after being out of the hobby for over a decade. My main goals are to integrate some of the new technology developed since my last reef, try keeping some new species of inverts, fish, and LPS corals, give another go at some easy SPS, and try to recreate a bommie in the Indonesian reef.

Due to current circumstances, I decided to start with a 20 gallon tank rather than setup a larger tank with all the extra work and expense. If all goes well, I will move up in tank size when the time is right, and in theory, move the Kessil along too. Ultimately, this tank may become a frag tank in a few years time. For now, I think it will be a good step back into the hobby.

Edited 1/24/20

Anticipated Stocking:
  • Shrimp goby with pistol shrimp
  • Sexy shrimp
  • Porcelain crab
  • Giant Clam (Would really like this addition after the tank has stabilized)
  • Maroon Clownfish (Will have to upgrade tank as he gets larger) √

Corals:
  • Zoanthid √
  • Euphyllia
  • Ricordea
  • Caulastrea
  • Acan √
  • Blastomussa (Maybe)
  • Montipora (Plating and Branching)
  • Seriatopora
  • Stylophora
  • Millipora
Clean Up Crew:
  • x2 Trochus Snails
  • x2 Nassarius Snails
  • x3 Cerith Snails √
  • x3 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs √
Filtration:
In-tank sump measuring 12"x4"x11.5" with three chambers:
  • Chamber 1: DIY Filter media holder (Bio Media, Poly Filter, ChemiPure, Carbon)
  • Chamber 2: Heater (Ebo Jager 75W) and skimmer (Reef Glass Nano Protein Skimmer replaced with AquaMaxx WS-1)
  • Chamber 3: Refugium and return pump (IM MightyJet AIO Return - 538GPH)

Water Circulation:
IceCap 1K Gyre

Lighting:
Kessil A360WE w/ gooseneck mount

Etc:
ATO: Auto AquaSmart ATO Micro

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and Welcome to R2R,

Looks like an excellent plan. What about fish?

:)

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am actually keeping the stocking intentionally on the low side. Because it's only a 30" long tank, I'm debating if there are any additional fish I could add. Any suggestions? From my understanding, I might be able to fit a Firefish or another small goby.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a firefish (Nemateleotris) for some color. Or possibly a possum wrasse (Wetmorella) which are quite peaceful and help by picking at small pests.

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll consider them. I have always liked firefish.

Currently I'm trying to assemble all of the equipment. Right now I'm hung up on whether or not to get a skimmer. I have a hang on back skimmer, but was looking for something to fit inside my in-tank sump, which would be not so intrusive and ugly. Right now looking at the Hydor Nano-Skim, but I think it will interfere with the glass top. Do most people use a cover on their tanks? I worry a bit about jumping fish and shrimp, and water evaporation (plan on having an ATO).

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally do not use covers, but usually have not kept fish that were known jumpers. I did cover a tank with a snowflake eel long ago. I have only lost wandering snails. Some are adamant that one needs a cover. The firefish can be jumpers.

I am a big fan of skimmers as they changed my world for the better in the early 90s when they came on strong. That said, your tank is probably small enough to go without if you do frequent water changes. It may also be the case that a skimmer of a size that would fit in your chamber may not be all that effective.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it sounds like you are not stocking heavily so you could go skimmerless and always add one later if needed.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reefs are tough. LPS may like it a little “dirtier” than SPS.

I just reread your initial post and I think the refugium is a great idea and may be sufficient, or a good pair for a smaller internal skimmer. Not sure I am helping much on being decisive. Is it that you are not sure you need a skimmer, or that you cannot seem to find one that would be the right fit for your tank? If you are unsure you need it, go without and revisit as you stock more. If it is only about the fit, then probably find the best fit you can and if it is small hope that the refugium helps augment the export of nutrients.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a 20l but decided to do a 30 gallon instead. Its going to be a straight sps tank. Its home to 3 randalls assesors. Skimmer is breaking in and once its done will start with the corals.

15242595628832108455647.jpg

15242595944271205368730.jpg

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reefs are tough. LPS may like it a little “dirtier” than SPS.

I just reread your initial post and I think the refugium is a great idea and may be sufficient, or a good pair for a smaller internal skimmer. Not sure I am helping much on being decisive. Is it that you are not sure you need a skimmer, or that you cannot seem to find one that would be the right fit for your tank? If you are unsure you need it, go without and revisit as you stock more. If it is only about the fit, then probably find the best fit you can and if it is small hope that the refugium helps augment the export of nutrients.

Yeah - I heard about that as well, which makes me wonder if a skimmer is almost a necessity with a mix of corals. Any thoughts on the small Reef Glass skimmer? I feel like it would help provide some nutrient export, but not so much as to keep the tank 100% clean. Part of my indecision is if I need a skimmer, and if so, which would fit the tank? If the Reef Glass skimmer will work, I may just go with that to have some skimming capabilities. (It certainly makes me feel better to have some skimming capacity.)

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a 20l but decided to do a 30 gallon instead. Its going to be a straight sps tank. Its home to 3 randalls assesors. Skimmer is breaking in and once its done will start with the corals.

15242595628832108455647.jpg

15242595944271205368730.jpg

Sweet! I don't have so much SPS experience, so this tank is definitely going to have a learning curve on it. I know tanks that are SPS only are easier to keep, and having a lower volume of water is going to make it trickier....but this tank already is on the stand and is empty. (I don't have a ton of space for any extra tanks...gotta use what I got!)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I heard about that as well, which makes me wonder if a skimmer is almost a necessity with a mix of corals. Any thoughts on the small Reef Glass skimmer? I feel like it would help provide some nutrient export, but not so much as to keep the tank 100% clean. Part of my indecision is if I need a skimmer, and if so, which would fit the tank? If the Reef Glass skimmer will work, I may just go with that to have some skimming capabilities. (It certainly makes me feel better to have some skimming capacity.)

I have no experience with that skimmer, but most skimmers operate on the same simple principle. The biggest difference between them is size and noise. Using an ATO (as you are) will help keep the water level constant and keep a skimmer quiet.

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with that skimmer, but most skimmers operate on the same simple principle. The biggest difference between them is size and noise. Using an ATO (as you are) will help keep the water level constant and keep a skimmer quiet.

Thanks again for the info! I ordered the Reef Glass Nano Skimmer, used!

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 20g IM Peninsula tank and just run filter floss and chemipure blue nano in the first chamber and a fuge with chaeto in the second. I have no skimmer with a heavy bioload (2 small clowns, sixline wrasse, yellow watchmen goby, pistol shrimp, and red fire shrimp). I still have untraceable nitrate and phosphate but do weekly 20% water changes. If you went skimmerless you’d be fine but I’d recommend the fuge in place of it.

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 20g IM Peninsula tank and just run filter floss and chemipure blue nano in the first chamber and a fuge with chaeto in the second. I have no skimmer with a heavy bioload (2 small clowns, sixline wrasse, yellow watchmen goby, pistol shrimp, and red fire shrimp). I still have untraceable nitrate and phosphate but do weekly 20% water changes. If you went skimmerless you’d be fine but I’d recommend the fuge in place of it.

Thanks Goneaway for the info. Right now I will test out this little skimmer, but also have plans for a refugium. I am not quite as diligent with my water changes, so anything I can do to help offset that will be useful!

OP
OP
P

pixelbit

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I ordered a whole slew of equipment, including the Reef Glass skimmer, A360WE (with mount), and the return pump. Hopefully by this weekend, I can start building out the internal filtration chamber. I have cut down the acrylic to the right height (I think), now just need to cut in the weir. Anybody have any ideas on how to do that with simple tools?

Goneaway562

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Goneaway for the info. Right now I will test out this little skimmer, but also have plans for a refugium. I am not quite as diligent with my water changes, so anything I can do to help offset that will be useful!
A skimmer will prolly do pretty good. Could always add a HOB fuge to add that extra filtration to help with less water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back