20 gallon saltwater setup

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Would like to setup a 10 gallon saltwater tank. I had posted here a long while ago and was going to setup a much larger tank but opted against it due to the running cost. Would like to figure out a setup where I do not have to cut the top to make a filter work. Thinking about a clown fish or something pretty small and simple. I currently have a 20 gallon fresh water tank with a couple female Betta's and a few coridora's.

Andrew

P.S. Anyone else having trouble with this site? Took for ever to login and be able to post, Nothing like hitting loggin and it sitting doing nothing.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on if you want corals down the line, much of the complex equipment is for their good.
I’d recommend looking into the all in one tanks, like the fluval 13.5 or the waterboxes. They have a lot of the equipment needed already built in which is a lot easier for new reefers.
Main issue with a clown in that size tank is just that they are rather evil, so it will make tankmates very difficult.

As far as the site goes, it might be a WiFi/connection thing. Whenever I’m in an area with bad connection the site takes forever to load.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't had issues logging in or using the site. Are you wanting to use a HOB filter with the 10g tank?

You may want to check out the following YouTube video series for some ideas about setting up a 10g budget saltwater tank:

Good luck with whatever you decide!

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on if you want corals down the line, much of the complex equipment is for their good.
I’d recommend looking into the all in one tanks, like the fluval 13.5 or the waterboxes. They have a lot of the equipment needed already built in which is a lot easier for new reefers.
Main issue with a clown in that size tank is just that they are rather evil, so it will make tankmates very difficult.

As far as the site goes, it might be a WiFi/connection thing. Whenever I’m in an area with bad connection the site takes forever to load.
Thank you, Do not have to go with clownfish, Would rather deal with fish that are more friendly with tank mates. Had enough problems trying to get a female better go with a bunch of guppies at least twice. Sure you can imagine the end result.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 5 gallon and 15 gallon tanks, they are pretty easy to run , just powerheads and rocks , weekly water changes is the main filtration method, which is pretty easy and fast and cheap on such a small tank. You can run a hob filter if you want but not necessary, changing the water weekly will keep the tank healthy. If you want some easy corals then it’s just a matter if getting a light, probably AI Prime 16 for that tank would be perfect.

it can be as simple or as complex as you want, but simple is easier.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 5 gallon and 15 gallon tanks, they are pretty easy to run , just powerheads and rocks , weekly water changes is the main filtration method, which is pretty easy and fast and cheap on such a small tank. You can run a hob filter if you want but not necessary, changing the water weekly will keep the tank healthy. If you want some easy corals then it’s just a matter if getting a light, probably AI Prime 16 for that tank would be perfect.

What is easy to put in a 10 gallon tank? What kind of power heads? or even possibly a sponge filter?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much fish choices for a 10 gallon to be honest. A shrimp and goby pair would be nice, perhaps a pair of captive bred clownfish, there are a few smaller gobies that can fit into a 10 gallon. I would add a few mushrooms and one or 2 leather corals to put some movement on the tank. Maybe a couple RFA’s for splashes of Color.

for powerheads in that tank I would get 2 sicce nano’s. They are cheap, and really good qualityyou can always upgrade later to programmable powerheds if you like.

don’t do the sponge filter, it doesn’t really work on salt tanks, it will just build up nitrate fast.

these are just my opinions of course based on my experiences.

PS -Google ‘the Berlin method’. This is mainly how we filter salt tanks.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much fish choices for a 10 gallon to be honest. A shrimp and goby pair would be nice, perhaps a pair of captive bred clownfish, there are a few smaller gobies that can fit into a 10 gallon. I would add a few mushrooms and one or 2 leather corals to put some movement on the tank. Maybe a couple RFA’s for splashes of Color.

for powerheads in that tank I would get 2 sicce nano’s. They are cheap, and really good qualityyou can always upgrade later to programmable powerheds if you like.

don’t do the sponge filter, it doesn’t really work on salt tanks, it will just build up nitrate fast.

these are just my opinions of course based on my experiences.

PS -Google ‘the Berlin method’. This is mainly how we filter salt tanks.
Thanks will have to find a place near me that has some of these. The corals are they safer to buy and have shipped? Do they have to wait after fish are in the tank or before?

Also thoughts on premixed salt water from lets say Petco?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is easy to put in a 10 gallon tank? What kind of power heads? or even possibly a sponge filter?
In a 10 gallon you are very limited to the number of fish, 1 is the real limit to be honest.

Depending how cold the room is the tank is going to go in, the cost increase would only be noticeable in heating the water, as you would need the same basic equipment for a 15 or 20g, but those tanks would give to many more options.

Don’t discount clowns, they look great, are hardy, and are out in the open all the time, and as said you would be very limited on numbers anyway.
If in doubt go for the bigger tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will have to find a place near me that has some of these. The corals are they safer to buy and have shipped? Do they have to wait after fish are in the tank or before?

Also thoughts on premixed salt water from lets say Petco?
Corals can be bought in person or online, it really just depends on what store has what you are looking for. Corals need a more mature system before adding, so it is recommended to wait a few months before adding them. It doesn’t really matter whether fish are there or not other than that they feed on fish poop.
I generally don’t see the need in boxed water. In the long run it’s a lot cheaper to mix your own saltwater.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals can be bought in person or online, it really just depends on what store has what you are looking for. Corals need a more mature system before adding, so it is recommended to wait a few months before adding them. It doesn’t really matter whether fish are there or not other than that they feed on fish poop.
I generally don’t see the need in boxed water. In the long run it’s a lot cheaper to mix your own saltwater.
What kind of container do you use to mix in for a small tank like this? How long can extra water be stored?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of container do you use to mix in for a small tank like this? How long can extra water be stored?
I just use a 4 gallon bucket to mix mine before using it. As long as it’s constantly stirring it can be stored for a while.
What other options would I have with a 15 gallon vs a 10 gallon?
Really just adds more space for how many fish can go in. It won’t really change the species available.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw before the bio cube, 24 gallons, and comes with the light and filter built in. That might just be ideal. Still somewhat small and does not need gigantic water changes.

What are good fish and coral options for a 24 gallon?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With coral it really just depends on what types you find attractive and how much you want to cut them down. Leathers, zoas, shrooms, gsp, Xenia, and cloves are all good beginner corals.
24 adds a lot of space - at that point I’d feel a lot more comfortable mixing clowns with others. You could get away with 5 or so small fish. Still the same species, but it becomes much more livable as opposed to bare minimum.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're gonna want to keep stony corals you have to keep lighting in mind which can be pricey for a good light

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just go all in, I do have a 40 gallon breeder tank I have had for sometime. I might end up using that. Would just need to figure out the filtration. Guessing a hang on the back type but would still need to figure out a top for it. After all some of the fish I know heard goby's love to jump out.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just go all in, I do have a 40 gallon breeder tank I have had for sometime. I might end up using that. Would just need to figure out the filtration. Guessing a hang on the back type but would still need to figure out a top for it. After all some of the fish I know heard goby's love to jump out.
I have a 40 breeder - I like the dimensions a lot. I’m running a seachem tidal 55 and it does fine (I wish I went with the 75 though), you just need a powerhead for extra flow.
I use the glass hood, it works well.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Totally agree with this. I didn't want to go to big for my first saltwater tank and ruin everything with all the chemistry so I went with a 20L and have a AI prime light and I'm growing coral. Hope this helps and happy reefing

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder - I like the dimensions a lot. I’m running a seachem tidal 55 and it does fine (I wish I went with the 75 though), you just need a powerhead for extra flow.
I use the glass hood, it works well.
I have a tidal HOB as well for my 20L love them they are very good filters and pack a good flow. I have a hyyger wave maker for mine as well. They are cheap but decent. Comes with controller and multiple settings. May want to check into that. I can send you some pics of mine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back