Status
Not open for further replies.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question ...... If you have a gha out break and a ammonia alert badge.... Is your ammonia alert badge accurate if it says 0 ammonia ??

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you need to slow down.

1. you need to cycle. Even if you start with actual live rock.

2. if you want a tank like I think you want your not getting that over night. No matter how hard you try

3. this hobby is t cheap and when you try and make it cheap you make it more expensive

4. no matter what don’t add anything till after the tank is cycled. Plants don’t use ammonia they use nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) to grow you really should add that till the tank has been running for a bit or you will strip your tank of the things you need and risk Dinos and other bad algae outbreaks.

BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST GOOD THINGS HAPPEN SLOW!

now I am unwatching this thread

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a question ...... If you have a gha out break and a ammonia alert badge.... Is your ammonia alert badge accurate if it says 0 ammonia ??

I would guess its accurate as reading 0 amnonia.
So the bacteria and gha just used up whatever they could to use to grow/ survive .
And if somehow the gha algae was using the amnonia before the bacteria could use it up and somehow managed to get rid of 100% the gha and was scared that the bacteria decreased in size,if this was the case as gha was quicker at uptaking the amnonia then the bacteria would bounce back really quickly anyway as still been kept in water.
This my opinion anyway.not sure if explaining properley what im thinking though

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you need to slow down.

1. you need to cycle. Even if you start with actual live rock.

2. if you want a tank like I think you want your not getting that over night. No matter how hard you try

3. this hobby is t cheap and when you try and make it cheap you make it more expensive

4. no matter what don’t add anything till after the tank is cycled. Plants don’t use ammonia they use nutrients (nitrates and phosphates) to grow you really should add that till the tank has been running for a bit or you will strip your tank of the things you need and risk Dinos and other bad algae outbreaks.

BAD THINGS HAPPEN FAST GOOD THINGS HAPPEN SLOW!

now I am unwatching this thread

Spot on! I love this: "this hobby isn't cheap and when you try and make it cheap you make it more expensive"

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried aquascaping with styrofoam, good scape?

Attachments

• 8F6B14F5-139E-47DC-AD61-E673E872EACA.jpeg
    8F6B14F5-139E-47DC-AD61-E673E872EACA.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is it possible to use styrofoam covered in mortar then live rock to seed it or do u need to have predominately lr. Paul b talked about mortar on pvc being the same as lr, wondering if it could work for styrofoam (fish safe) too. I think tanked uses styrofoam

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess its accurate as reading 0 amnonia.
So the bacteria and gha just used up whatever they could to use to grow/ survive .
And if somehow the gha algae was using the amnonia before the bacteria could use it up and somehow managed to get rid of 100% the gha and was scared that the bacteria decreased in size,if this was the case as gha was quicker at uptaking the amnonia then the bacteria would bounce back really quickly anyway as still been kept in water.
This my opinion anyway.not sure if explaining properley what im thinking though
Makes sense. Thanks

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This similar to what i read years ago about plants prefering amnonia instead of nitrate.i take it macro algae is sort of a salt water plant correct?
And if so i read it beneficial to start a cycle with aquarium plants in newly set up ( freshwater tank) as softens the blow of the amnonia spike,especially if doing a fish in cycle and doesnt affect the bacterias ability to reproduce ( but in logic thinking will it affect the bb as their is less amnonia i do not know) and again its often said that only few things in saltwater and freshwater are similar i know,but maybe this one the few similarities where it is just that as in similar/ same.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-220307_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-220307_Chrome.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20210509-220312_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-220312_Google.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This similar to what i read years ago about plants prefering amnonia instead of nitrate.i take it macro algae is sort of a salt water plant correct?
And if so i read it beneficial to start a cycle with aquarium plants in newly set up ( freshwater tank) as softens the blow of the amnonia spike,especially if doing a fish in cycle and doesnt affect the bacterias ability to reproduce ( but in logic thinking will it affect the bb as their is less amnonia i do not know) and again its often said that only few things in saltwater and freshwater are similar i know,but maybe this one the few similarities where it is just that as in similar/ same.
I’d assume it aids it because the BB is sensitive to ammonia and then the macros are too so they work together. I know Diana walstad talks about virgin tanks (fish in cycle) and how they are better for plants over non virgin tanks (fish less cycle) because the plants will help the bacteria and basically the ammonia is lesser so the cycle goes slower but the overall ammonia is lower so it’s safe to add life (at least I think so)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back