Status
Not open for further replies.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added macro to my tank early on in the cycle it did fine for a while and then melted.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added macro to my tank early on in the cycle it did fine for a while and then melted.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in freshwater relating to the nitrogen cycle, you can nutrient export by removing plants from the tank (trimming) does this apply to saltwater because the plants are locking up all the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate?

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, in freshwater relating to the nitrogen cycle, you can nutrient export by removing plants from the tank (trimming) does this apply to saltwater because the plants are locking up all the ammonia and nitrite and nitrate?
i wouldnt say the trimming is the nutrient export id say the growing of the plants is but I'm curious to others' opinions

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wouldnt say the trimming is the nutrient export id say the growing of the plants is but I'm curious to others' opinions
It's both kind of, it grows using the nutrients and you remove it to export the nutrients.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fresh you can cycle plants and bacteria b/c the plants melt I’d assume macro would do thst too?

Not to sure about this.but most freshwater plants are grown out the water or partially submerged so grow faster as can get more light and easier to fertilise/ get nutrients as less work they have to do and when introduced back into the aquarium water they melt there leaves ( which grown out of water) and grow smaller leaves whilst under the water.
If macro algae is grown out the water and same principles used idk ( but would guess not) but i honestly dont know tbh.
All i do know is macro algae is a brilliant nutrient export system with some saying its to good and leaves the system with 0 nitrates/phospate and then causes extra problems so have to then dose nitrates/ phospates ^_^

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do most fertilizers contain ammonia as opposed to nitrates then?
Because urea has soluble nitrate and ammonia and is cheap, as its urine. And Dcal was right on the money Ammoniacal nitrogen breaks chains to become nitrate eventually. The soil microbes formed by these process also contribute to a healthy rhizosphere.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sure about this.but most freshwater plants are grown out the water or partially submerged so grow faster as can get more light and easier to fertilise/ get nutrients as less work they have to do and when introduced back into the aquarium water they melt there leaves ( which grown out of water) and grow smaller leaves whilst under the water.
If macro algae is grown out the water and same principles used idk ( but would guess not) but i honestly dont know tbh.
All i do know is macro algae is a brilliant nutrient export system with some saying its to good and leaves the system with 0 nitrates/phospate and then causes extra problems so have to then dose nitrates/ phospates ^_^
Yeah that’s true, it’s the shock in parameters. Like cryptocoryne or leather corals if you like transfer tanks or just move it a little bit it basically gets really sad then it comes back with a vengance

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because urea has soluble nitrate and ammonia and is cheap, as its urine. And Dcal was right on the money Ammoniacal nitrogen breaks chains to become nitrate eventually. The soil microbes formed by these process also contribute to a healthy rhizosphere.
So would the macroalgae interrupt the cycle or would it help it, it would die off some then release ammonia and things for the bacteria then the macro will help by lowering phos and nitrate so the bacteria will work as hard as possible to convert because more dieoff (more dies if more grows) in plant = more food for. The bacteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back