Status
Not open for further replies.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn’t gonna be a sump, it’s gonna be like a second tank with a skimmer and a ton of chaeto

that’s fine. But it still doesn’t increase the size of fish you can keep in either tank. You’ll still only be able to keep fish suitable for a 20g in the 20 and fish suitable for a 40 in the 40. If you want bigger fish, you need a bigger tank

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok let’s say hypothetically a eel wouldn’t get in a fight with other eels, could you have as many eels as you could in a 2040g bioload tank?

no. You are simply increasing the total volume of the system. Not the available living/swimming space

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause u can overstock a Malawi chiclid tank and they have enough living room but u need a bigger filter. Could I do like this as long as no aggression and each fish has living room?

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes no sense. Like in fw if u had 40 neons in a 40g then you upgraded your filter you could have like 60 neons in a 40g because they all have living space

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause u can overstock a Malawi chiclid tank and they have enough living room but u need a bigger filter. Could I do like this as long as no aggression and each fish has living room?

overstocking isn’t okay. It’s what causes issues and fish death. Overstocking a tank isn’t a way to bypass what a fish needs. It’s a way to be a bad aquarist and practice bad husbandry. I’m not trying to be mean Noah.

this mindset is what has made people stop wanting to help you. It’s not how to keep bigger better fish. It’s a cheap shortcut that will shorten the life of your fish and coral, and cost you much more in the long run

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are messy eaters tho but don’t have big territory

that’s a nutrient management issue. I e skimmer, ats, fuge, etc. having small messy fish doesn’t mean you can overstock a tank. It actually means you have to be more conservative with stocking and have more expensive filtration

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don’t get what I mean. If you had fish that were messy eaters, let’s say you had room for 5 messy fish or 7 not messy fish (both fish have enough living space at 7 fish fish) could you have 7 messy fish because you have a better filter?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don’t get what I mean. If you had fish that were messy eaters, let’s say you had room for 5 messy fish or 7 not messy fish (both fish have enough living space at 7 fish fish) could you have 7 messy fish because you have a better filter?

no bud, i get what you mean. If you have a better filter, you still need to treat those five messy fish like they’re seven. Thus you would only be able to responsibly keep 2 or 3 of the clean. Your small system can only handle so much. Yes you can make adjustments. But you can’t overstock a reef with fish your filtration can barely keep up with and expect to have thriving corals. I know that’s the approach you’ve had with FW. And it’s not an ethical way to keep fish. You’ve pulled it off to your tanks’ detriment. This is saltwater. You will crash your system every time. And that is far more expensive than anything else

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with a endearing personality like flower horn (I hate flower horn though) are cool because they follow you around and you can train them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.2%
Back