Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend said he swears by t5 and mimicking sea water close as possible (.026 and 7 alk) i want my tank like his where he has softies and stuff like cucumber or nps
I agree with your friend

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I stay in indiana I have to stick to my 20 gallon mabye I should just plan for it

check out FB marketplace. I’m in the same county as you and I’ve seen 40bs come up for 50$ multiple times. Heck. I got my oceanic 120g, a 40, and a steel stand for 250$. Used gear, assuming it’s in good condition is a good thing

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the actual volume of a tank with those dimensions is 40g. Go 36x18x21 (it’s a noticeable difference in person) you got 53g
Aquan. Makes a 50 at 36x18x18
93BEBD2E-D7CA-469A-AD62-20BD95003239.png

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish with a endearing personality like flower horn (I hate flower horn though) are cool because they follow you around and you can train them
I trained my Betta to follow my finger on the glass, swim in between my fingers, and jump for food.

You can train any fish to do pretty much anything.

Why do you “hate” flowerhorns?

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trained my Betta to follow my finger on the glass, swim in between my fingers, and jump for food.

You can train any fish to do pretty much anything.

Why do you “hate” flowerhorns?
Genetics they look like they are going to explode and they don’t have enough room inside them for their internal organs

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you put any thought into doing a macro only display in your 40gal and put a dwarf lion in it? Wouldn't be able to do much else for fish but the lions can have a heavy bio load from feeding anyways. Would be a cool looking fish to have camouflaged against the plants. Ive never had one personally but just had the thought that the type of display goes back to the biome you were looking to produce in the first place. I still think you should set a goal to not set up a tank for at least 6 months. Use that time to do as much research as possible and start collecting whatever equipment you still need over time.

I've been in and out of the sw hobby for over 10 years one of my first jobs was diving and cleaning 5,000+ gallon fish only displays and taking care of the fish for the restaurant it was in. I still try to take the time and start the planning process for a new tank at least a year in advance.

The slower you take all this the more successful you will be in the long run.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genetics they look like they are going to explode and they don’t have enough room inside them for their internal organs
Yeah I agree on the flowerhorns. They are growing on me but I can’t get past that nuchal hump.
As for your point on Malawi cichlids and tetras, that is how they exist in nature. Tetras live in tight packs and are low waste, but still need swimming room, the more tetras, the more space. Mbunas and peacock cichlids need large groups to spread out aggression. They are overstocked in the wild too. Keepers keep plenty together (and have very powerful filtration) to avoid them killing each other. There still comes a tank size question. No matter what, with all the maintenance in the world, there is a maximum that a tank can support. Eventually the fish will be too cramped and more problems will arise, no matter how good the filtration is.

Also, your tank is a standard 40 breeder.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I’m gonna do over the summer is focus on rehousing my fish and I’m going to also try getting as many people to mow their lawn as possible because if I charged 25 or 20$ once a week for 5 people every week I’d make 100 or 125$ and if I do it 8 weeks that’s 1000$

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually the fish will be too cramped and more problems will arise, no matter how good the filtration is.
Going off of what you said:

Just because you have a “powerful” filter, doesn’t mean you can overstock your tank.

The filter will keep the water clear, but it’s your job to keep the water clean. (e.i. Large weekly water changes)

You should never overstock a tank because you think you can “get away with it”, or because “the fish will be fine”. That is cruel mentality.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not going to overstock the tank in space for the fish, I might add fish that have a higher bioload or more needy clean water coral but I’m not going to do something that would cause the fish to fight or get stressed

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? If I had a 2000 gallon sump on a tank and I was just injecting fish poop into the tank, I can have 2000 gallons worth of fish’s poop going into the tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back