20 long stocking. (Macroalgae and softies)

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone can help me figure out predatory fish with a good personality for a 20 long I’d be happy, I’m pretty dead set on the dwarf fuzzy lion or a pair of clarkii

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You seriously can’t be this oblivious. You’ve ignored everyone’s advice and are now asking for help figuring out a predatory fish when everyone has told you it won’t work...

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what is recommended for minimum tank size from everywhere that sells these fish online? Yes they are not very active but are large so they need more food when fed. Also do you have access to a steady supply of ghost shrimp (which cost money to continuously feed) as they are known to be finicky eaters at first and need larger food than mysis to usually live. I would say 1 scorpionfish in a 20 gallon with no other fish would be fine.
Fuzzy dwarf lionfish are too big for this tank. Clarkii get so much bigger and meaner than you are thinking they do but 1 pair in a 20 gallon would be the absolute limit on fish.
These are specific and harder aquariums to keep to and you havent even figured out how to get rodi water for the tank yet, but said you have hard tap water from your city.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone can help me figure out predatory fish with a good personality for a 20 long I’d be happy, I’m pretty dead set on the dwarf fuzzy lion or a pair of clarkii
Get a larger tank, there will be plenty of help and suggestions to help you run a successful predator tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say the same as vabben, get a 40 breeder instead and you can use most of the same filters or maybe one extra hob and wavemaker and then we can talk about more fish or larger fish, but not in a 20 long, it is an accident waiting to happen and pretty much torture for the fish you will put into the tank

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see any issue with 2 or 3fairly peaceful not active fish in a 20 gallon long which would have an environment conducive to the fishes health. I might even just do nano reef fish then the lion as a show fish because the puffers don’t seem super cool now that I know how cool dwarf lions are

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably will do a pair of clowns that look like clarkii then a fuzzy lion and 1 peaceful mid dweller or goby. the lion seems small enough. I heard a couple say 4-5 but more common heard is 4.5-6 and they aren’t very active and can go in a smaller tank if it has lots of rock work. I don’t want designer clowns or 100$ rare Wrasses and crazy things. id rather have a fowlr than a high end reef with designer clowns

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cant do that either the lionfish will attempt to eat anything under 3-4".
It isnt about it being peaceful or not, it is too large because of swimming room and its ability to eat large pieces of meaty foods at once. Lionfish spread out their fins a lot and the tank is just too small.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that tank is almost 10 gallons bigger than yours so no it isnt the same at all

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surface area isnt the issue here but they most likely also have way more because they also have a sump

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you are confusing surface area and total length of the tank, again not important either

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the issue is overall volume of the tank water, as you add rock the volume of water also goes down as well. The lionfish is flat out to big.
have you though about just swapping tanks with the freshwater it doesnt look like its too cared for rn anyway

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back