What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks with Covid, issues with certain brands of salt being available and now some quality control issues thrown in what are we all using now and what were we using before? Reasons for change would be great if you can be bothered commenting.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to saltwater at 9 months old tank but started researching 5 years previous and all salt threads I kept seeing the same on salt threads and polls that regular instant ocean good enough to run a reef and cheapest so win win for me,so far I had no complaints with it

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to say I am using TMPR but reading all of the stories about the Turkish batches leaving residue does concern me a little moving forward. I am hopeful my steady supply of the German buckets will continue here in the UK. I know we have all been told it is fine and there is nothing wrong with it but this is evidence something has changed somewhere regardless.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ATI absolute ocean. Bit more expensive than others, but for me totally worth it for the ease of use. Parameters have been spot on and my corals look much better compared to when I used Aquaforest. Granted I only do water changes once a month, so the higher cost doesn't bother me at all.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ATI absolute ocean. Bit more expensive than others, but for me totally worth it for the ease of use. Parameters have been spot on and my corals look much better compared to when I used Aquaforest. Granted I only do water changes once a month, so the higher cost doesn't bother me at all.
I started my tank with that salt/water.. Imo a good salt for smaller tanks when you do not that much WC's.
But imo my corals look better with TMPR since I changed.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank with that salt/water.. Imo a good salt for smaller tanks when you do not that much WC's.
But imo my corals look better with TMPR since I changed.
Yup. I can imagine it's either too expensive for frequent water changes or larger tanks. It'll take up more space than a large bucket of salt too. I buy a small set every month and use it immediately, which is ideal for me as I don't have a lot of storage space in my apt :p

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the reasons that I use IO are that is is cheap, it is quality with stable parameters and it is also always available (at least so far). Rare for something to be all three, but it is.
Just because here in switzerland almost nobody uses or talks about IO..
Is it this one you guys talk about?

Thats crazy because TMPR is cheaper in a 25kg bucket compared to the IO.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw. does anyone use Fauna Marin Professional Sea Salt? I love fauna marin products but have never read about the salt.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it - either have a long way to ship to get to the other. If TM was available cheap, I would use it and never look back - great salt, but inconsistent to get in the US and very expensive at nearly $100 a bucket around me (if you can find it). I just got 4 200g boxes of IO and they were about $42 each shipped to my door.

iamahab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out using io and switched to red sea coral pro, i'm now using tropic marine and I'm getting good results, corals have colored up and seem to be happy. I've also started doing bigger water changes weekly so so who knows

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back