2022 salt poll

What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use iQuatics Ocean Reef Pro Coral salt - not in the poll presumably because it's UK manufactured. Mixes nicely, and tests fine, I've been happy with it for years. The alk is mixes at around 7.5 so drops out of the comfortable window sooner than I'd like, but I can dose for that. It's significantly cheaper than other options and discounted refills are available to save buckets. Great value overall.

Mystery Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tropic Marin classic, it comes in at a similar Alk to my tank. Seems good and is cheaper. When I’m done though, I’m switching to the Captiv8 pre mix and will be making my own if I can source the raw NaCl locally. I’m feeling really good about the Captiv8 approach to reef chemistry. Got a lot of salt, so will have time to further research their products. Chris Meckley and Luca(Mahina Corals) seem to believe in their approach and that’s one heck of a strong endorsement in my book.

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks with Covid, issues with certain brands of salt being available and now some quality control issues thrown in what are we all using now and what were we using before? Reasons for change would be great if you can be bothered commenting.
started with Red sea black, went to reef crystals because my mixing pumps broke loved the results. tried again w/ red sea but the blue bucket this time, felt like some of my LPS and SPS liked it a bit more especially. finally after that switched to TMPR, because i heard its the ****, havent switched back yet and dont plan to.

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use iQuatics Ocean Reef Pro Coral salt - not in the poll presumably because it's UK manufactured. Mixes nicely, and tests fine, I've been happy with it for years. The alk is mixes at around 7.5 so drops out of the comfortable window sooner than I'd like, but I can dose for that. It's significantly cheaper than other options and discounted refills are available to save buckets. Great value overall.
I started the poll and I used to use that salt. I moved from RSCP and every one of my corals just slowly sulked. All was really low and all of the major elements in general. This was maybe 6 years ago when you got a free towel with each bucket. Very cheap salt which is why I used it but got poor results.

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1I started the poll and I used to use that salt. I moved from RSCP and every one of my corals just slowly sulked. All was really low and all of the major elements in general. This was maybe 6 years ago when you got a free towel with each bucket. Very cheap salt which is why I used it but got poor results.

The red sea coral pro has a very very high alk compared to iQuatics - I wonder if the drop upset your tank. Of course, each tank behaves differently!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that really surprising? The price of reef crystals is literally 1/3 of the cost for Tropic Marin and 1/2 of the cost for Red Sea blue bucket. It works for many reefers just fine.
It's just surprising as just a few shirt years ago it used to be known as "death crystals", because of the super high alk. Most people would never touch it. Surprised how a few short years has changed people opions.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll initially start with Fritz or what.ever, but IMHO I’ll use whatever for water changes…AFAIC I’m continually monitoring and adjusting alk anyway, so unless it impacts my alk I see no sense in worrying over brands ( with water changes). not applicable otherwise

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back