What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: I forgot SeaChem's Salinity. Worst salt ever. Smelled like pee when mixed and against my better judgement I attempted to use it. Crashed one of my earlier tanks. I used 3/4 of that bucket as driveway snow melt. I believe it was around the same time one of the Atlanta's group bought it and had the same results.
Salinity was a salt I used in the past and really like and didn’t have any issues, it just got to be a pain finding it locally

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro for the last 18 months or so, before the Red Sea blue bucket.

Used IO/RC for many years but fouled my mixing container and mixing pumps far too much for my liking (too lazy to clean)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ethplode-ethplo.gif

MORTON SALT PELLETS

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IO & coralife user for years with the FOWLR tanks. Currently using RC, since I'm doing corals but I am noticing high cal, alk & mag. Thinking it's back to IO after the current bucket is gone.
Similar. I've utilized RC for years and never seen Alk this high. I dont mind the Mag, it's always been on the higher end. Have you or any other RC users noticed a change only recently in the Alk or always been quite high?

Anyone think I could mix the IO and RC to get a lower number or this would be a bad idea lol...

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar. I've utilized RC for years and never seen Alk this high. I dont mind the Mag, it's always been on the higher end. Have you or any other RC users noticed a change only recently in the Alk or always been quite high?

Anyone think I could mix the IO and RC to get a lower number or this would be a bad idea lol...
I see no reason whatsoever in mixing if it results in the levels you seek.
Just means you have to keep 2 salts.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason whatsoever in mixing if it results in the levels you seek.
Just means you have to keep 2 salts.
Thanks for response! Might try it then an experiment a little. If it keeps me from dosing and dumps the Alk a bit, I'll take it!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used many salts over the years, I used IO for many years, then used reef crystals. I’ve used most of the popular brands either just as an experiment or if my usual salt was unavailable. I think most salts are totally fine, just pick one that mixes to (or close to) the parameters you keep your tank at.

For the last year I’ve been using Fritz RPM (blue box), and I really like it. I know that they’ve had some quality control issues in the past, but I’ve had no negative experiences with it, it mixes to the parameters I prefer, mixes fast and clean, and isn’t terribly expensive, but most importantly, my corals have all done really well with it. If Fritz is unavailable, I usually get Red Sea (the one with the lower Alk).

One other salt that I didn’t see listed, that is surprisingly decent is Coralife. I’ve used it a few times and it was pretty good (but again most salts are pretty good). Fluval also has a salt that is decent.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant ocean… proven to work… available everywhere… even petco and pet smart. Can still get it super cheap with sales or discounts.

I tried many salt mixes including the expensive ones and never a difference.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. HW marine for me
I used to use that stuff regularly back in the Nineties. Call me weird, but I love the way it smelled :D. What's it mixing up to these days?

Jen1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to say I am using TMPR but reading all of the stories about the Turkish batches leaving residue does concern me a little moving forward. I am hopeful my steady supply of the German buckets will continue here in the UK. I know we have all been told it is fine and there is nothing wrong with it but this is evidence something has changed somewhere regardless.
Is there a definite way to know where each batch comes from? I bought a box a few months back and it says Made in Germany. Do I trust it?

Back