What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year I am switching from Tropic Marin Pro Reef to ESV B-Ionic, not because of the stuff currently going on with TMPro, but because I found out ESV Mixes to 9 Alk instead of the 7 Alk TM mixes to. I haven't run the math, but I think it will save me from having to dose my way up after I do any water changes.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched to NSW as I'm lucky enough to live near the ocean. So far my small reef is loving it but there is the problem of NSW collection in the winter. Water is bloody cold! (great fun in the summer though).
Keep a trained eye for the White Pointers! ;)

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Red Box. I like the higher levels so I don’t have to dose as much and can’t maintain ALK @ 9.0-9.2 Calcium @ 425 ppm & Mag @ 1425.

Mixes true and holds numbers exactly where I want them to be!

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been happy with Fritz and would like to stay but they will not respond to my requests for barrel salt. I have almost 1200 gallons (3 tanks) in my home alone then do service for 15 ish clients. SALINITY offers barrels at a good price and it just makes sense to go that route. I’m about to buy smaller qty to do a test run hoping it’s as good as I hear.

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a new 225g reef tank using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt on recommendation from my local fish store, so far been happy with it. We will see how my corals like it once moved. I had previously used Reef Crystals / IO, which I still use for my 560g FOWLR. If corals like TMPR, i'll use it in my frag tank.

Blown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just switched to Red Sea blue bucket from TMPR mainly due to the general lack and inconsistency of supply in my country

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from TMPR to Red Sea Pro, I was a big TM fan but started seeing inconsistencies and grime in my mixing barrel (along with out of stock issues from time to time), so I switched to RS recently and am happy w result.

if I was running a FOWLR system I’d totally be running IO though

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from TMPR to Red Sea Pro, I was a big TM fan but started seeing inconsistencies and grime in my mixing barrel (along with out of stock issues from time to time), so I switched to RS recently and am happy w result.

if I was running a FOWLR system I’d totally be running IO though
I think anyone running a FOWLR using anything but IO is just wasting money. IMO there are better salts for reef applications, but for FOWLR it’s just about perfect.

Breadbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people's issue with Fritz Reef mix? I heard some people dislike it heavily but never state the reason. Looking to buy as it is the cheapest salt around after aquaforest sea salt(which is barren of calcium and trace elements), which is a little sus to me.

speedfreek1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just switched to Pro Reef from RC. I had no problem with RC but I got 6 boxes of Pro Reef for free during the BRS holiday sale. Should last me about a year I think.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people's issue with Fritz Reef mix? I heard some people dislike it heavily but never state the reason. Looking to buy as it is the cheapest salt around after aquaforest sea salt(which is barren of calcium and trace elements), which is a little sus to me.
They had a few quality control issues a few years ago. I’ve never had any issues with it, I think it’s an excellent salt. It’s one of those things that caught traction on social media, there was a YouTuber whose tank crashed and he blamed Fritz, but when you really examined his claims there were very clearly a bunch of issues, the salt was the least of his problems. I don’t say that to minimize the QC issues they had, because they did, but every salt brand has had issues at some point, I think in this case it was just blown out of proportion. Regardless of what salt you use, you should always test a new batch. There’s a lot number on every box of Fritz and you can get their test results for that batch on their website (iirc, each batch is 20 boxes, and they test first and last box). IMO, it’s a great salt at a great price.

vespula13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was quite the fan of tropic marin pro reef but it's just become too unreliable to source.

Began using TM syn bio middle of 2021 but didn't notice appreciable results for the extra expense and now also realise it's not suitable for mix and leave for an AWC.

On to aquaforest because I've seen decent tanks running it and it's always available at my LFS; don't have to constantly browse to find some TMP in stock.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year I am switching from Tropic Marin Pro Reef to ESV B-Ionic, not because of the stuff currently going on with TMPro, but because I found out ESV Mixes to 9 Alk instead of the 7 Alk TM mixes to. I haven't run the math, but I think it will save me from having to dose my way up after I do any water changes.
I've seen a lot of mention about TM Pro and some issues.. I've been using the salt for 3 years or so and haven't noticed many problems other than it being harder to get of late.

What are the issues with TM Pro?

Jg2269jg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using fritz for a year and am looking to switch. I have mixed it cold and warm, 1/2 cup at a time and still get crud all over everything. I have to clean pumps and heaters constantly. Don’t like it and was thinking of going Red Sea or tmp. My lfs usually has a great selection of salt and was already planning on going tomorrow to change out.

SWherrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria is Fritz Blue Box Salt with different packaging. ;)
I’ve heard it can be inconsistent

SWherrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using fritz for a year and am looking to switch. I have mixed it cold and warm, 1/2 cup at a time and still get crud all over everything. I have to clean pumps and heaters constantly. Don’t like it and was thinking of going Red Sea or tmp. My lfs usually has a great selection of salt and was already planning on going tomorrow to change out.
I used to use Fritz and I never had issues as others claimed. I then switched to TMP and after awhile had a tank crash… lost a lot of SPS. I switched to Red Sea BB and my tank bounced back and came back to life.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back