What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the reasons that I use IO are that is is cheap, it is quality with stable parameters and it is also always available (at least so far). Rare for something to be all three, but it is.
Ditto

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, what's up with all these salt manufactures and high mag (1600ppm) in their salts? Just saw a video on BRST and many had high mag, while they claim there is only 1300ppm in it on the bag.

1600ppm is not a bad thing, but don't say on the the bag it's 1350.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe more people are using Tropic Marin than Instant Ocean. I used it (Tropic Marin) for about eight months and the only result I noticed was a smaller wallet. Twice the price for no observable results; guess those BRS videos had some serious pull.

A 200g box of IO makes 184g of saltwater at 35ppt

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

20210712_112417-2.jpg

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been with Red Sea Coral Pro

Now im looking for somthing differnt in my salt, Its not that i'm not happy but i think there are better salts out there the two up for contention are
- Tropic Marne salt
- Fauna Marin
The reason ive picked these two as they are very traceable, Both made to high quality german standards the only downside to this is trying to get them and be able to keep them long term both sell fast and i dont want to be stuck needing to do a water change and having no salt

SEWIreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used aqua forest and Aquavitro Salinity. I really prefer the Salinity and am using it currently. I like the guaranteed analysis per bucket and it has waaaaaay less sediment in the mixing bin compared to Aquaforest.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO. It mixes better with less junk than Reef Crystals. It also keeps my tank where I want it. I dose elements here and there. My tank is a mixed reef with even SPS going on a solid six years running.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean (IO). I use in as "base" salt for custom mixing in conjunction with 2 Part and trace elements . I start with IO, then add ESV B-Ionic 2 Part to spike alkalinity and calcium to 9.5 DKH and Ca 450ppm and then add a tiny bit of Red Sea 4 part trace elements to boost my trace elements. This combination is working great for my Soft Coral and LPS reef.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean (IO). I use in as "base" salt for custom mixing in conjunction with 2 Part and trace elements . I start with IO, then add ESV B-Ionic 2 Part to spike alkalinity and calcium to 9.5 DKH and Ca 450ppm and then add a tiny bit of Red Sea 4 part trace elements to boost my trace elements. This combination is working great for my Soft Coral and LPS reef.
That's almost exactly what I have been doing. Been using BRS 2 part instead though and haven't been doing water changes. I explain my method on this video.

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's almost exactly what I have been doing. Been using BRS 2 part instead though and haven't been doing water changes. I explain my method on this video.

I've gone as long as 5 months without water changes by dosing alone in the past. But I have found my corals love a monthly fresh injection of saltwater juiced with Calcium, Alkalinity and a small few mil of trace elements and respond very well. They just get fatter, larger and more vibrant.

KMCA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot SeaChem's Salinity. Worst salt ever. Smelled like pee when mixed and against my better judgement I attempted to use it. Crashed one of my earlier tanks. I used 3/4 of that bucket as driveway snow melt.
On one hand at least you got use out of it and I bet throwing it out a handful at a time was therapudic but that hurts.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've gone as long as 5 months without water changes by dosing alone in the past. But I have found my corals love a monthly fresh injection of saltwater juiced with Calcium, Alkalinity and a small few mil of trace elements and respond very well. They just get fatter, larger and more vibrant.
Good to know. I have been doing this for about 3 months and I might consider doing it again. Only dilemma I'm in is that I have changed my parameters pretty far away from IO. Should I just dose 2 part in the salt mix to change my levels?
Current Parameters:
Alk: 9
Ca: 440
Mg: 1350

IO Parameters:
Alk: Can't honestly remember, maybe it was around an 8, I think.
Ca: 400
Mg: 1300

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say Seachem salinity always worked for me. I did notice the heat it produced whilst first mixing though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back