210 Miracles cube

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you create some amazing displays! Your reef and macro algae tanks are beautiful.

Thanks for sharing these parts too. It's always very helpful when people with systems that look like yours also share when things aren't going 100% perfectly in every corner of the system at all times.

Appreciate the compliment.

So much of this hobby is trial and error. Sometimes we pull the right lever and sometimes we don’t! It’s definitely challenging. But sure is satisfying when you get it right.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even see increased growth when I bumped my ALK. I think my nutrients or potentially my micro elements were limiting. I've also seen the same where I'll lose a coral, but have frags of it recover. I've even had it where a coral will start to STN or even RTN and I'll cut off a couple frags in hopes to save at least one piece. Sometimes it works, and the frag continues to grow; sometimes it doesn't and both the colony and the frag goes. I too know I'm pest free, so I always think it's nutrient related. I've seen the worst RTN when my nutrients get too low. I've done a few Triton tests and although there's no smoking gun, I have seen some micro elements decrease over time despite me doing water changes. I would like to change more, but with so many coral (and macro algae), it's hard not to drop the nutrients too low with a big water change.

@BigJohnny Have you done an ICP test?

My problem is kind of the opposite, I have high nutrients (20ppm nitrate, .3ppm phosphate last time I checked). Growth is slow, my alk runs 7.1-7.4. I have tried to reduce the phosphate very slowly and got paling/burnt tips etc, which is crazy imo considering how slowly I did it and how high the levels are. pH and everything else is stable. So, I figured I'd try leaving the nutrient levels where they are and raise my alk, n maybe even extend my photoperiod after that. The only problem I've had from the high levels is slow/completely stalled growth on most corals. I had way more issues when I tried to reduce it.

Right now I'm not doing anything just to give the tank a few months of stability again. As far as ICP, yes I do them every 2 months. Everything else is good.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is kind of the opposite, I have high nutrients (20ppm nitrate, .3ppm phosphate last time I checked). Growth is slow, my alk runs 7.1-7.4. I have tried to reduce the phosphate very slowly and got paling/burnt tips etc, which is crazy imo considering how slowly I did it and how high the levels are. pH and everything else is stable. So, I figured I'd try leaving the nutrient levels where they are and raise my alk, n maybe even extend my photoperiod after that. The only problem I've had from the high levels is slow/completely stalled growth on most corals. I had way more issues when I tried to reduce it.

Right now I'm not doing anything just to give the tank a few months of stability again. As far as ICP, yes I do them every 2 months. Everything else is good.

From what I've heard, when you have higher nutrients, you will see faster growth with higher ALK. With my fuge, I've never been successful with getting my nutrients very high so I can't confirm it's true or not.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard, when you have higher nutrients, you will see faster growth with higher ALK. With my fuge, I've never been successful with getting my nutrients very high so I can't confirm it's true or not.

I'll let you know how it works out if I give it a try.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was working in the fish room this afternoon and sun was streaming in through one of the frag tanks by the window. Sun is full spectrum and here’s the proof! If anyone tells you you’re having algae problems because your reef is near a window, don’t believe them! I love sun powered tanks.

09e3c0b5020c57cd24db9a0f3eafa012.jpg

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, Quinn!

That tang is huge! It looks so fat, lol. Does it break a lot of your corals off?

haha, he just keeps growing! Totally plump. When I bought him couple years ago he was only one 1"! yup, does help me frag a few corals, but not too bad. My only complaint is when he's up at the surface and gets scared, he splashes a gallon of water on the floor. I've already rehomed a couple fish to Bill Wann with the 20k gallon tank just south of me. I just like him too much to rehome yet. The colors that are developing on his fins are incredible.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got so tired of catching my fish out the overflows. I ended up putting window screen around it to block the jumpers, lol.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any difference with the microbubbles?

I did this for a couple days in the display and there were so many bubbles I got scared I may be overdoing it. There were bubbles in the refugium and lots of corals sliming .
IMG_3155.jpeg

I'm just doing in my sump now(150g reservoir) and haven't seen any negative or positive impact. I just have the airstone in front of a powerhead I use to keep debris from settling in the sump. Some bubbles make it into the display, but a lot less than just putting the airstone in front of the return pump. I think I'll just keep doing in the sump for a while until I get more brave.

I did buy a faster dosing pump for Kalk at night. I'm going to try this approach and see how things like it.

I did siphon out all the Cyano in the refugium and it knocked it back substantially. We'll see how long it lasts.

IMG_3313.jpeg

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Convict tangs are my favorite! This one is like a dog and always there to help me clean the frags.

a239b71a5c5cb8b1b43f6de2fa298f62.jpg
Every time I come to your thread I think how our tanks seem to be similar. I have a convict tang just like yours, lol. It will even let me pet it when I put my hands in the tank. Best tang out there! It also eats algae all day long for me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back