210g Tang Tank - Stocking Suggestions

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tangs work well together in this setup? How does one introduce them and what are the best practices to reduce aggression and truly setup them up for year to come! Goal is quality over quantity and thriving conditions. Additonally, Clowns and Ritteri/Sebae nems, maybe up to 3-4 pairs.

Tank is empty, cycle not started. Research phase atm!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for tangs go pretty much any three of different shapes and colors. For example in my 210 I have a desjardini yellow eye kole and powder brown. Some have success with more however I feel my tank would look too crowded with more since I have a foxface emperor angel and huma huma. So if you want other big fish 3 would be as many as I would do or if you just prefer tangs 5-6 would be good. As for multiple pairs of clowns in a 210 I wouldn’t risk more than two pairs. Mine are extremely territorial of the middle of my tank about 2-3 feet of it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a standard 72x24x30" tall 210? Most commonly kept tangs would be fine in this size, besides any of the Naso spp tangs and Sohal. I would stay away from the clown tang too.

Which ones do you like?

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a standard 72x24x30" tall 210? Most commonly kept tangs would be fine in this size, besides any of the Naso spp tangs and Sohal. I would stay away from the clown tang too.

Which ones do you like?
So no Naso, Sohal or Clowns.

Well, we definitely want some diversity in color and size. However, our skill is closer to rookie level, so nothing that is too hard for sure.

And yes, that is the correct dimension, it is a Visio 210.

Thank you!

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I like this advice, up to 6 if just for tangs and 2 pairs of designer clowns for the nems. Are there any other fish that would be good tank mates in this setup? We def want more tangs! What varieties would you stock with this limit?

Also, should I be concerned about the clean up crew? Do you have hermits and snails?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 210 there’s tons of possibilities. Look for a compatibility chart and go from there. As for clean up crew some non reef safe fish are actually coral safe listed under non reef safe because they eat snails or shrimp. Some non reef safe fish only eat certain types of corals so if you don’t keep that kind of coral you’re fine as well. Just remember least aggressive fish to most aggressive. Once you put in an aggressive fish you may have a hard time stocking anymore fish because they will kill them. I know this is a lot to take in with a big tank but lots of research will pay dividends later. Asking on here if each fish will work will give you many different answers because each fish has its own personality so everyone’s experience is different. Go on the safe side and if you see a primarily negative response to a certain fish stay away it’s not worth it.

OP
OP
enlighten

enlighten

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 210 there’s tons of possibilities. Look for a compatibility chart and go from there. As for clean up crew some non reef safe fish are actually coral safe listed under non reef safe because they eat snails or shrimp. Some non reef safe fish only eat certain types of corals so if you don’t keep that kind of coral you’re fine as well. Just remember least aggressive fish to most aggressive. Once you put in an aggressive fish you may have a hard time stocking anymore fish because they will kill them. I know this is a lot to take in with a big tank but lots of research will pay dividends later. Asking on here if each fish will work will give you many different answers because each fish has its own personality so everyone’s experience is different. Go on the safe side and if you see a primarily negative response to a certain fish stay away it’s not worth it.

Sounds like a plan, thank you! I also heard to stock same size fish and of same species together. As well as provide ample aquascape. So that is the goal.

Appreciate the advice!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same size and same species is hit and miss you could add a royal gramma that’s tiny but attacks fish 3 times it’s size. Species yes if you add same species then you want to add multiples at the same time.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other fish that would be good tank mates in this setup? We def want more tangs!
Oh my gosh.

Angels
Blennies
Gobies
Damsels
Hawks
Dottybacks
Dartfish
Butterflies
Wrasses
Cardinals

You can do almost anything with a 210.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blue, a Sailfin, a bristletooth, and a yellow in a 180g.
All at once. They will work it out.

And quite a few smaller players.
IMG_1968.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blue, a Sailfin, a bristletooth, and a yellow in a 180g.
That's a nice group of big fish.

My go to recommendation is:
Pick a Zebrasoma
Pick a Ctenochaetus
Add a foxface
Add a regal/hippo/pacific blue if the tank is big enough...which a 210 is.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do like me and add a huma huma or bird wrasse though I’m stuck with what I have now until I get rid of those two bstrds
Whats your huma huma do thats so bad?? Those triggers are stunning! Heard they can have some nasty tempers though

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back