225 Gallon Revamp

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello All,

I have had my 225 DSA mixed reef for about 6 years. I went through the usual up's and down's. I had it stable and about three years ago, I looked at it and wanted to redo the rock work. I had a lot of it just clumped together corals all over, but I wanted to open it up. I wanted to see my fish out in the open swimming more. I love seeing the fish as much as the coral. Another reason for wanting to redo the rock work was Vermetid Snails.

They were building up so fast. I tried cutting them out and putting purple putty over a lot of the rock. That did not help. So redoing the rock work, more preventive on them instead of reactionary ( cutting back population sooner, bumblebee snails, etc.). Then we hit a rough point in the world. I kept putting off the rebuild during this time with uncertainity of what was going to happen etc. About a year ago, I started the plan over again and collecting new equipment and rock.

With all that said here is my current build with all equipment I have collected:
Lighting- 3 Neptune Sky Lights
Return- Vectra L2
Flow- 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's
Multiple boxes of Caribsea LifeRock (Trees and Islands)
APEX 2016 w/ 2 EB832's, break out box, ATK, PTK, 23"LLS and 15" LLS
Reef Octopus Elite 200 Int
Avast Skimmate Locker
Trigger 39 Platinum sump with V2 motor
2 BRS 300 Watt heaters
Neptune Grow Light

Fish List:
Achilles Tang
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Convict Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Vlamingi Tang

Soon to be incoming:
Pair of clowns
Flame Hawk
Longnose Hawk
Mystery Wrasse

Eventually:
Anthias or other smaller "schooling" fish group

I had the rock cycling in a 45 Gallon Husky tote for 2 months completely dark with the lid on. I did put the fish in a holding tank and I am slowly bring them over. I got the tank up and running 2 weeks ago and have put the Achilles, Gem, and Convict in. I plan on getting the Purple and Yellow in this weekend. I'm just taking it easy, monitoring the ammonia levels as I do it.

The tank is bare bottom. I used black textured ABS silicone to the bottom of the tank. I just need to clean up underneath and run all the sensors through the proper routes. Then it will be waiting time until I start to add corals. I will work on posting pics soon. I got carried away and forgot to take pics as I was working on it. I will need to go through my gallery to see.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I have had my 225 DSA mixed reef for about 6 years. I went through the usual up's and down's. I had it stable and about three years ago, I looked at it and wanted to redo the rock work. I had a lot of it just clumped together corals all over, but I wanted to open it up. I wanted to see my fish out in the open swimming more. I love seeing the fish as much as the coral. Another reason for wanting to redo the rock work was Vermetid Snails.

They were building up so fast. I tried cutting them out and putting purple putty over a lot of the rock. That did not help. So redoing the rock work, more preventive on them instead of reactionary ( cutting back population sooner, bumblebee snails, etc.). Then we hit a rough point in the world. I kept putting off the rebuild during this time with uncertainity of what was going to happen etc. About a year ago, I started the plan over again and collecting new equipment and rock.

With all that said here is my current build with all equipment I have collected:
Lighting- 3 Neptune Sky Lights
Return- Vectra L2
Flow- 2 MP60's and 2 MP40's
Multiple boxes of Caribsea LifeRock (Trees and Islands)
APEX 2016 w/ 2 EB832's, break out box, ATK, PTK, 23"LLS and 15" LLS
Reef Octopus Elite 200 Int
Avast Skimmate Locker
Trigger 39 Platinum sump with V2 motor
2 BRS 300 Watt heaters
Neptune Grow Light

Fish List:
Achilles Tang
Gem Tang
Purple Tang
Yellow Tang
Convict Tang
Lieutenant Tang
Vlamingi Tang

Soon to be incoming:
Pair of clowns
Flame Hawk
Longnose Hawk
Mystery Wrasse

Eventually:
Anthias or other smaller "schooling" fish group

I had the rock cycling in a 45 Gallon Husky tote for 2 months completely dark with the lid on. I did put the fish in a holding tank and I am slowly bring them over. I got the tank up and running 2 weeks ago and have put the Achilles, Gem, and Convict in. I plan on getting the Purple and Yellow in this weekend. I'm just taking it easy, monitoring the ammonia levels as I do it.

The tank is bare bottom. I used black textured ABS silicone to the bottom of the tank. I just need to clean up underneath and run all the sensors through the proper routes. Then it will be waiting time until I start to add corals. I will work on posting pics soon. I got carried away and forgot to take pics as I was working on it. I will need to go through my gallery to see.
Can't wait to see pictures of it!!!

OP
OP
mxreef887

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are some pictures of my sump area. I am really liking my Platinum 39. I have been eyeing it for over a year. Nervous to pull the "trigger" as there have been mixed reviews and setting up something new that I have not had any experience with hands on. I finally ordered it Christmas Eve.

Then in coming up with plan for my project, I saw a video by Reef Automation talking about the new V2 motor for the Platinum sumps. It looked a lot better and much improved from the original. I was excited to get home and open the box to see if if this had the V2 motor. Opened it and it was the original motor. I did contact Trigger and they verified they are not sent out with units yet but did offer me a discount if I wanted to purchase one, to which I did.

Anyways, set up wasn't to complicated. However, this was the first time I have messed with optical sensors (V2 comes with optical instead of float). So I installed them pointed down. After 2 days of it running, I had expended an entire fleece roll. I was thinking "maybe they have to be up in case a water droplet gets stuck on it. Contacted Trigger and the verified this and noted that there is a note stating to install them pointed up. I went through the motors box and sure enough there was one, the size of a fortune cookie :face-with-tears-of-joy:.

So now that is has been up and running for a couple weeks, I haven't really had any issues with it. Sure beats having to wash and change filter socks. I ordered a couple extra rolls this weekend as they were on sale.

The Avast Locker is pretty sweet. I have it hooked up to my breakout box to shut the skimmer off when it fills. I had a DIY gallon jug with a float switch on my old setup that worked well, it was a mission to get it covered for the smell. This locker has a built in carbon filter for exiting air. (Excuse the mess. Still have a trident and DOS' to set up and haven't fully tidied up)

Attachments

• 20230221_134321.jpg
    20230221_134321.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230221_134608.jpg
    20230221_134608.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230221_134645.jpg
    20230221_134645.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230221_134717.jpg
    20230221_134717.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 27

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back