• Montipora

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I just wanted a place to keep track of my tank progress and to chat about some questions I may have as things evolve with my setup. Looking forward to seeing things grow out in this tank!

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics. Don’t judge the photography skills... still working on that [emoji28]
0d7670a258c83d11943a4c5e75cc3809.jpg
d5490f5db8f309829364b7357ea8f184.jpg
0d998d08137e50b707bd30c40a1a19aa.jpg
7d312743ec496048783316372299508b.jpg

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought a new camera and am testing it out. Again no judging the photography skills yet. Still learning!

IMG_3214.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, one of my firefish in my tank is not looking too hot. He’s always kind of had a frayed tail, but looking at him today he just looks a lot worse. Anything I can do to help him? There does not seem to be an aggression from the fish but I am going to increase feeding a little more to see if that helps anything. Anyone have suggestions?
07c7f627e9f5aff0f6e16c8c38d3271e.jpg

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General advice is to add the firefish before other fish like clowns so that it doesn't impede on their territory, not sure if that has any influence here though as you see no aggression. My firefish has a dart hole under the live rock where it sleeps at night so I know it's safe. When I bought it I could see its fins were in bad shape from bullying, now great a few weeks later after some time on its own, and even now with a small clown pair. Maybe there's some aggression at night? A change in rock layout can reset territories. Otherwise I'd maybe try getting a closer picture and see if anyone can see signs of disease etc. Also check your water parameters and flow.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General advice is to add the firefish before other fish like clowns so that it doesn't impede on their territory, not sure if that has any influence here though as you see no aggression. My firefish has a dart hole under the live rock where it sleeps at night so I know it's safe. When I bought it I could see its fins were in bad shape from bullying, now great a few weeks later after some time on its own, and even now with a small clown pair. Maybe there's some aggression at night? A change in rock layout can reset territories. Otherwise I'd maybe try getting a closer picture and see if anyone can see signs of disease etc. Also check your water parameters and flow.

Correct, the firefish were in the tank for close to a year before I added the clowns. Each firefish has a couple of different holes within the rock work that they go to when spooked and such. Is it possible that he is injuring himself within the rock work? There are some spots that I am amazed it can get into.

Either way, I’m still watching the tank very closely and trying to pay attention to aggression. I can say that increasing my feeding has even caused my clowns to be less “snippy” with one another. Potentially I was feeding too little?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the firefish doing? Wouldn't have thought it was self injuring on the rocks but what do I know.

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the firefish doing? Wouldn't have thought it was self injuring on the rocks but what do I know.

Seems to be doing well. He is definitely not worse so I am hoping that is a good sign. He is eating normally and is not breathing heavily or slowly which again I am assuming is a good sign. Increasing how much / often I am feeding seems to have made a change in all of my fish. So I’m hoping we’re moving in the right direction here!

OP
OP
A_Poythress

A_Poythress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a little over a month since I have posted about the tank. I'll post pictures soon, but for now here is where everything stands:
  • Corals have been mounted and set in place and all seem to be doing extremely well! Zoas are growing, color in all of my corals is extremely vibrant and everyone seems to be happy.
  • The issue I had with the firefish is no longer a problem. His back fin has grown back completely and he is now swimming around with everyone else and has all of his colors back.
  • I have a second powerhead that will be in the tank tomorrow to give me alternating flow patterns (current USA 1050gph). All parameters are stable as well so hopefully, in the next few months, I will be brave enough to get an Acropora into the tank.
  • I started using PolypLab's Polyp-Booster about a month or so ago, and am really liking it! My coral seems to be benefiting from it and my fish go nuts when I put the stuff in the tank. I feed ReefRoids about once a week (there are some days where it is more like once every week and a half), but it seems to be working. I have been using RR since I got all of the coral towards the beginning of the year and have no plans on changing that.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back