24vdc to 12V? roller mat

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
So retrofit a trigger platinum 34 into my rsr450. Love the wide butt media so far and has been working well.
Only thing is that the power plug is awkward and bulky to fit into eb8 also I have no open outlets. So jist plugged right into wall.
I'd Love to come up with a clean solution to run this 12V motor/board to the 24 v outlets since i have 5 and they are all sitting empty.
Just dont know best way to do this and have it look clean at same time.
Any ideas? i kniw we have to have some electronics ninjas on this forum!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump

And after a week none of the electronic ninjas replied? Maybe they are all on a Christmas holiday break!

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish. I assume you want the roller filter powered by Apex.
Got to start with the wattage requirements. How much power does the roller require? Look at the power supply or the unit for markings.
Also, not clear on where the 24v is coming from. EB8 doesn't have any. EB832 does, I believe it has 2x per unit, max of 30w per outlet. But I don't think you can control those outlets, they are for aux power for some other Apex modules, such as DOS, etc.

30W at 24VDC is not a whole lot, about 1.25A.

Aside from that, 24v to 12v conversion is very common in the automotive industry with plenty of off-the-shelf solutions that already include buck converter, circuit protection, etc. Here's just one example: Amazon search: "DC 24v to 12v Step Down Converter Reducer Regulator 5A 60W Power Supply Adapter for Auto Car Truck Vehicle Boat Solar System etc.(Accept DC15-40V Inputs)"

Last edited:

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eb832 has 2 controllable 24v ports (2pin). And 3 onelink ports (4 pin) that you connect to things like the dos and trident. Just like the onelink module has.

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. was thinking of dc outlet on the eb-832. I know that you can't control those outlets directly but you can tell the outlet to turn off delay when return pump is turned off same as an outlet but my outlets are full. Just looking for a use for these dang DC ports

I have been back and forth with the engineers at trigger and we were discussing some controller integration via one link I pointed towards a vast Marine as they offer their atos in both a standalone unit as well as an apex integrated unit would be awesome to have that sin is how I think most people who buy the sump also are running a controller since it is rather high-end

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 24v 2pin ports are controllable. The 3 onelink ports aren't. I use one of the 24v 2pin ports for my pmup for ato. There are sliders available to those 2 ports just like the regular outlet ports. The apex default naming is (LinkB_*_*) do not confuse these 2 with the 3 onelink ports that are not controllable. Again These 2 24v ports do have sliders available just like the 120v outlets do. I turn it on and of during water changes. They are also programmable the same way. I wish apex would make more of them available for our use.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back