24x24 cube lighting (AP9X...maybe)

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there community!! So I see this discussion all over, and my question is a bit like all the others, but I had already thought of a light and wanted to reach out to the interwebs for other opinions.

Currently I'm running a 24'' Current-USA Orbit IC Pro Dual, which is ok for my softies but still not great at the bottom. I'm wanting to cover a bit more and even be able to hit those really high pars for SPS.

I've been really looking at the Kessil AP9X, which didn't look amazing for cubes which is my real hesitation, but a pro on that is that the coverage is a bit rectangular so this may be a bonus for a mixed reef cube in that I can his the lower PARs on the front and back. I'm also a bit of a tech nerd, so the built in wifi is a definet plus. This is one of the reasons why the Current Loop with the lights and wave pump controllers were originally appealing at the price. But you get what you pay for when it comes to PAR.

Any other ideas for lighting that will look amazing? I definitely wouldn't want to spend more than what an AP9X would cost, and as is I'm buying other wave pumps now for the reef (still undecided on those). Also, some people dislike the App / Smart controls on these, but I'm a fan and would want to keep that up.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options. Are you wanting LED, for sure?

The AP9x would be one of the expensive options. A couple other expensive options would be the Philips coral care or the Orphek Atlantik.

Another option would be a pair of AI hydra 32s, or a pair of Noopsyche K7s. I would be tempted to go that route, if I wanted LED.

A couple plug and play options would be a single MH pendant or a 6 bulb T5 fixture. But if you want to play with apps, these wouldn't be your jam.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For almost the same cost you could run 2 a360s. That would give you more than enough coverage

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I like the LED just because they're so small and like it was said, definetly not controllable. I considered a pair of Hydra or 360s but from what I saw It wasnt too big a price gap when you fit in the wifi controller and mounts.

I've not seen the Noopsyche K7 but I'm going to check it out! Thanks!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ai Hydra 26 or two Reefbrite XHO 24"

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AP9x over my 3'x2' tank. I have a little light spill off each side at 3'. I would assume you would get even more. Not sure if that is an issue for you. Definitely seems to be more for rectangular tanks.

But, I LOVE my AP9x. I came from 3x AI Prime 16HDs (good lights. Just not enough). Primes were 100% BRS recommended (which made fans loud) My AP9x had the same PAR numbers when at 55% intensity. Dead silent and beautiful.

OP
OP
hydroskillet

hydroskillet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just pulled the trigger on the 9x. We'll see how it goes, but it has to be better than the Orbit!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes. I have a 60 cube. Curious about the spill.
It's not too bad. This is the exact tank dimension we have our office tank running on. More details here.

RBarth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still liking ur decision? I'm in the same decision process. Ap9x or 360x/t5 combo which will also give light spill.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back