25 Gallon Lagoon Build

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am creating this thread to document my journey. I have owned a handful of saltwater tanks ever since about 2012. My most fun being a 125 Gallon FOWLR tank that I housed 2 triggers in. I have only kept a handful of inexpensive corals and can't say I have ever let any set up fully mature. But after about 6 years of learning and figuring out what I want, I think this is it.

Some of what I have so far:

-25G Innovative Marine Lagoon
-APS Cabinet Stand
-Radion XR15w G4 Pro with RMS mount
-Mp10W
-Ecotech ReefLink
-Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
-BRS 6 stage RO/DI
-30 pounds of Tropic Eden Tonga Reef Flakes

Testing kits to include Hanna Checker calcium and alkalinity. A big bucket of Red Sea coral pro and some live rock and Carib sea dry purple reef rock/ branch rock curing/staying alive in a trash can. I am definitely going for the lagoon island with branch rock look and will probably throw in a mangrove or two [emoji39].

I think it will be a couple months before I get the tank up and running due to april being basically the last month of the spring semester and given time for the rock to cure. When it is set up I'm not sure exactly what I want to do first but I think I'll start out with a pair of clownfish and go a couple months before adding corals.

What I have learned in the past 6 years is that the best thing I can do is take my time.

Thanks for stopping by!

20180330_164757.jpg
20180330_164806.jpg
20180329_205615.jpg
20180328_190051.jpg
20180322_174245.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SaltyGroves

SaltyGroves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your opinion of the new APS stands? Decent quality? Easy to assemble?
I was very impressed with the way the aluminium looks like wood. I think the Innovative Marine APS stand looks so sharp.

But one thing that did bother me however is that one of the black side panels looks runny, If you look close it's as if the black reflective material was poured in and dried funny. The other side is a perfect smooth reflective black. I meant to email IM about that but I haven't got to it. Honestly it's hard to notice or even take a picture of but it's there and for $350 bucks you expect near perfection.

The build was straight forward. You have to get used to the locking mechanisms you use to secure each piece(profile) to the next. I was a little nervous about these locking mechanisms but I made sure to turn them a full 180 degrees and they locked in nice and tight. When the stand was finished I laid across it to test it out at 235lbs haha. I believe the manual says that the stand can support 300 pounds at each corner but there is a video of IM loading up an APS stand with massive weight. I have not found anything about these stands failing and I'll be sure to go up in the stand and make sure the locks are tight for my own assurance before filling the tank with water and rock.

I did however have some trouble with the build. I got to step 8 and for some reason one corner of the second A/B profile just wouldn't line up like the rest. It was a good inch out of alignment. I was frustrated and broke the stand down in reverse order. In the morning I attempted the build again and made sure to really check my cross braces spacing with a tape measure and level. I did this the first time but I must have got something wrong because I had absolutely no issues the second time around.

I would recommend the stand if you aren't keen on building a wood stand your self.
20180329_212307.jpg
20180329_221003.jpg
20180329_212311.jpg
20180331_132920.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LagoonReef25g,
I really like your stand and it compliments your tank very well.

From our side is sure looks like real wood.

jpluttme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering those questions. You're one of the first people I've seen with one of their new stands and I was curious how realistic the wood grain looked. Looks nice with your floors and wall color.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back