25 year old 75G Jaubert Plenum on top with 30G EcoSystem Mud/Macro

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton labs have or will have a DOC test. I have a rather large skimmer section in my sump - do you think that I can establish a cryptic zone in that part? It is directly after my Chaeto refugium. There is already some sponge like organism in that apartment of my sump. It is not any light in there.

P7180136.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- do you think that I can establish a cryptic zone in that part? It is directly after my Chaeto refugium. There is already some sponge like organism in that apartment of my sump. It is not any light in there.

P7180136.JPG

Sincerely Lasse
Sound like its already becomming a cryptic zone Lasse :)

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mature tanks all have cryptic zones in the display. The unlit areas, under & behind rocks. There'll be cryptic sponges growing in these places.
I didn't start with LR. Bummer. I do have a graveyard of LR from all the corals lost. I was very green, ckoky. At first. Corals humbled me. But I finally conquered them. I hope.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This par is around 30 litres and there is a run trough of around 2 100 l/h and the skimmer circulate around 2000 l/h. Is it too fast flow in order to get a good cryptic zone ? - I planning to ad some LS with sponges attached in this apartment. Is that a good idea?

Sincerely Lasse

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This par is around 30 litres and there is a run trough of around 2 100 l/h and the skimmer circulate around 2000 l/h. Is it too fast flow in order to get a good cryptic zone ? - I planning to ad some LS with sponges attached in this apartment. Is that a good idea?

Sincerely Lasse
Slow flow is recommended for two reasons- some cryptic organisms are very delicate & strong currents can damage them; fast flow stirs up detritis & this can block the pores of the sponges, killing them.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that flow - there is no detritus more than the those coming from the refugium :) If I put some kilo of LS in that area - I probably will create areas with slower flow - I will give it a try - probably. I have not clean this part for 2 years.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 years is definitely impressive! Are you doing anything for nutrient export?

As I grow desirable stuff, like Red Grapes and GSP, I remove and sell to retail store. Because I am feeding very heavy, I deal with a slight Cyanobacteria culture. I don’t do scheduled water changes, but when cyno is evident I do gravel vac as a partial water change. Every three months I do a 75% water change to get water chemistry back to normal standards.

While I don’t normally test the water, when I see cynobacteria, I dose ammonia. Because cynobacteria manufactures its own nitrogen by converting dissolved nitrogen gas into ammonia , it has an advantage over macro algae and coral. I say remove the advantage and make nitrogen available to everybody. That is why I dose nitrogen.

One other thing about “nitrogen fixation” cynobacteria, their are many differrent strains of cyno. A certain group of cynobacteria exist in the coral biomass and have a symbiotic relationship supplying nitrogen to the coral as a back up system to coral zooanthellia.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton labs have or will have a DOC test. I have a rather large skimmer section in my sump - do you think that I can establish a cryptic zone in that part? It is directly after my Chaeto refugium. There is already some sponge like organism in that apartment of my sump. It is not any light in there.

P7180136.JPG

Sincerely Lasse

Perfect spot. Chaeto leakage will feed sponges DOC. Sponges will attach to anything. Provide more surface area in the compartment. I suggest eggcrate stacked perpendicular to the flow direction of water.

I am curious as to how water comes into your refugium from the display tank.
In my system, the first compartment in 30G EcoSystem Mud & macro refugium is full of reef rubble with amphipods crawling all over it. Gas exchange is the single most important chemical processes going on here, sometimes called wet/dry filter. Carbon dioxide gas has a two way street as does oxygen and nitrogen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse the pic on your journal, I have a display refugium as well as a sump one, mine are mainly tunicates but there are other sponges in there as well.

DSC07649 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Very nice display refugium. What light spectrum am I looking at? Please post your pictures on this thread. I like it like that.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse

That is a great idea. I run 500 G/H, about the same as you. According to Steve T, that is too much. I think the sponges don’t care what Steve wrote.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice display refugium. What light spectrum am I looking at? Please post your pictures on this thread. I like it like that.

It has an old maxspect Razor 150 watt over it, it's just a spare light I had.

DSC07654 by sshipuk, on Flickr

DSC07660 by sshipuk, on Flickr

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that flow - there is no detritus more than the those coming from the refugium :) If I put some kilo of LS in that area - I probably will create areas with slower flow - I will give it a try - probably. I have not clean this part for 2 years.

Sincerely Lasse
What's kilo of LS, Mr. Lasse?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sincerely Lasse
What I have done. Filled a water plant basket with reef rock and placed that in my sump. I think it will slow the flow of water to the sponges.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious as to how water comes into your refugium from the display tank.

My refugium and DSB is placed in the backyard of the DT. Behind the comb

pic8-jpg.344936

pic-2-jpg.344928

To the left - there is an drain chamber down to the sump

pic-7-jpg.344934

Sincerely Lasse

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back