RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went to the LFS ( want to support them). Brought my water in, told them my age of tank and asked for the best next step for addition. Was told clowns. I went with 2 beautiful white bonnets and wanted them happy so asked about hosting. While showing me several BTA, he ripped 3 of their feet ( I read they'll now die) and then showed me what he said was a Purple BTA. She was beautiful. Her foot was clean and mouth puckered and large in size. I stressed I didn't want to cause harm to her and was told they were "hardy". I purchased her and my two clowns ( milo and Otis). She wouldn't latch. I tried everything. Turning off power heads, nursing basket with LR. She's dead 3 days later. I called and was told she's not even a pBTA , that they don't even sell those and it was something else - something very hard to manage and for very old, mature tanks. It's disheartening as I love all babies and hate to think I took her life. My question is - who do I trust when making a purchase? I spent 400 that day in hopes to give these babies and happy home. Only to be told to put her in a zip lock bag and toss her. His words. " if she's sliming she's dying, toss it". I feel like the people I meet on Craigslist are more honest and caring than the LFS!! He killed three ripping their feet off ! Now a fourth. Is there hope for her? I know they deflate. But she's in a ball and shedding goo. I respect her and don't want to just "toss her in a bag ". I've contemplated taking her back in hopes they can save her but I know they'll throw her away. So a) who do I trust? This is the #1 store in Dallas. B) is there hope for this beautiful creature? Pic 1 is purchase . Pic 2 is day 1. Pic 3 is today. :(

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank seem very health, I would put her back in the tank in a basket and let here sit. She is very stress right now and need time. You can find a small plastic basket and rig is to hang in a corner of you tank at the top. this way nothing bothers her

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that and that's when she started sliming and turned into a ball. Mouth gaping. So I called again and they said to try and wiggle her into the sand with the power heads off near a rock. She's getting worse. I don't know if the slime will affect my levels as they're finally perfect ( if she's decaying i would think it'll spike). But if there's a shot I'll put her back. If she's truly dying will it hurt my water? We just did a water change last night and wonder if we will need to do another right away with all this slime floating around

michaust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple tips are usually condy anemone not known to host clowns

RyanCSGO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nems are very fleshy and dying in the tank will definitely pollute the water.

However, moving it around a bunch is also not going to help the situation and only stress it further. It's best to leave it alone.
If it's reached a point of no return, then unfortunately yes, removing from the tank is the best option so the tank doesn't spike with ammonia.

as for trusting the store. It's hard to find one, I have roughly 10 local stores in my area and there are 2 that I will shop at and only 1 that I fully and completely trust.
I would find one that consistently has healthy tank and livestock, verify the info they give you once you leave and build a "friendship/relationship" with those that work there. takes time, but in the long run will be worth the effort in this hobby.

Tammy and Brad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick her up in your hand andull her to the surface.. Smell her, does she smell like stinky dead fish ? .. If so she is dead, if not she is alive ...

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that and that's when she started sliming and turned into a ball. Mouth gaping. So I called again and they said to try and wiggle her into the sand with the power heads off near a rock. She's getting worse. I don't know if the slime will affect my levels as they're finally perfect ( if she's decaying i would think it'll spike). But if there's a shot I'll put her back. If she's truly dying will it hurt my water? We just did a water change last night and wonder if we will need to do another right away with all this slime floating around
they need constant PH and salinity. using the basket keep her protected and she will not get in to you power heads

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even more reason for my frustration. It's not a PTA based off the managers claim ( not the person who sold it to me) but nonetheless she was to have a good home. I'm going back today to talk with them as I trust their expertise. I've read a few great books but it'll take years in sure to be able to distinguish one from another. Even if she didn't host I wanted her to be happy/ healthy. I obviously can't trust the biggest LFS here so not sure where to go to ensure things don't recklessly die on my watch. I know it happens but when you spend 1.5 hours discussing your purchase and they give you all the wrong advice- what's one to do? More importantly do I try and keep her or do as they say and let her go? ( I really am having a hard time with this move). Thanks for any help

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick her up in your hand andull her to the surface.. Smell her, does she smell like stinky dead fish ? .. If so she is dead, if not she is alive ...

I did that and she smells like the tank. My concern is the slime shedding everywhere. Will they do this if not dying? Thanks for your help

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry you are going through this. It's obvious you care about your sea creatures as I do. For what it's worth I had a Condy and all 3 of my clowns loved it, not saying this happens all of the time. When I got "her" she was very small, now I call her the beast, needless to say she went to a bigger and better home.:) I hope it all works out for you.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted pics in the thread. It's the white ball. She's completely balled up and I'm skimming the slime from the tank to try and keep it off the fish and rock. Not touching her just using the net to get it off her surroundings. The 3rd pic is her. Just a white ball closed completely.

Spadg84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as trusting LFS go, ive found one i can trust, and we have quite a few in my area, most are trying to turn a dollar and don't care about much else. its too bad.. hopefully it works out.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even more reason for my frustration. It's not a PTA based off the managers claim ( not the person who sold it to me) but nonetheless she was to have a good home. I'm going back today to talk with them as I trust their expertise. I've read a few great books but it'll take years in sure to be able to distinguish one from another. Even if she didn't host I wanted her to be happy/ healthy. I obviously can't trust the biggest LFS here so not sure where to go to ensure things don't recklessly die on my watch. I know it happens but when you spend 1.5 hours discussing your purchase and they give you all the wrong advice- what's one to do? More importantly do I try and keep her or do as they say and let her go? ( I really am having a hard time with this move). Thanks for any help
I am very fortunate and my LFS is @WWC or I order online now. I order my present BTA for https://bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1065&cid=74 I am very happy with my order

IMG_3302.JPG

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really sorry you are going through this. It's obvious you care about your sea creatures as I do. For what it's worth I had a Condy and all 3 of my clowns loved it, not saying this happens all of the time. When I got "her" she was very small, now I call her the beast, needless to say she went to a bigger and better home.:) I hope it all works out for you.

Thank you doll. Yes I'm very very sad. Going very slow on this to try and ensure I don't hurt anyone. I've set up additional tanks throughout the house that are cycling so I can still add babies every month but staggered throughout so as not to stress anyone out. I name them all. Even my snails and crabs. I'm praying she makes it. might sound like a nut but it's how I feel. I'm glad your babies are well!!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you doll. Yes I'm very very sad. Going very slow on this to try and ensure I don't hurt anyone. I've set up additional tanks throughout the house that are cycling so I can still add babies every month but staggered throughout so as not to stress anyone out. I name them all. Even my snails and crabs. I'm praying she makes it. might sound like a nut but it's how I feel. I'm glad your babies are well!!
I'm with you, I love my critters!!:) Name them and talk to them as well.:D

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, i meant pictures of the slime
Ahhhh I'm sorry. Misunderstood. No I skimmed most of it out and my iPhone sucks at getting pics. It looks whitish/ clearish and comes off her underside and her bubbles and around her side. I'm on my way to store now to get a bigger basket to see if she might like more room.

OP
OP
RealtyBoss

RealtyBoss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on what it looks like, how it smells, how it reacts, and if u can get a pic of the slime that would help significantly
Ok I'll be home in about an hour. LFS is far. I will do my best to get a pic. She was producing more even after skimming.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back