265 reef

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish need to be back in the laser clean tank by now, how did it turn out/ the rip clean

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was macro rock I used
I definitely positively think it’s the sand and I am in the process of removing it.
Too many people posting here, I didn’t see it, but has ANYONE commented that your invertebrates seem ok, but the fish are dying? This is a huge diagnostic tool, and points away from toxins in the water. I think you released a fish disease into the tank; break in bio security, introduced something, or stress caused a latent disease to break.
Jay

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had asked four times about biosecurity details, if anything new and wet had been added, but got zero reply.

curious too about outcome.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes forget to click ‘find all threads’ when not getting answers but needing them for job preps.

there’s a biosecurity break recently, non prepped tang added to established system = perhaps the single biggest security risk possible.

well at least you removed twenty years of detritus that part isn’t any harm (if you followed known safe work flow) it’s what we do when we move old reefs to new homes yours is just staying in place. based on that thread it seems fallow is needed for the new tank.

***Im seeing a stark pattern emerge in fish loss posts where the expression coincides with some other tank action like a water change or cuc added, something that seems to take away the indication of disease but in pattern seems to just be coincidental timing.

it makes sense a twenty year system could suppress disease from skipping all manner of disease preps and then reach a tipping point.

based on that parsed out detail thread above these fish should be assumed to have a disease yet to be identified. nice call.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sometimes forget to click ‘find all threads’ when not getting answers but needing them for job preps.

there’s a biosecurity break recently, non prepped tang added to established system = perhaps the single biggest security risk possible.

well at least you removed twenty years of detritus that part isn’t any harm (if you followed known safe work flow) it’s what we do when we move old reefs to new homes yours is just staying in place. based on that thread it seems fallow is needed for the new tank.

***Im seeing a stark pattern emerge in fish loss posts where the expression coincides with some other tank action like a water change or cuc added, something that seems to take away the indication of disease but in pattern seems to just be coincidental timing.

it makes sense a twenty year system could suppress disease from skipping all manner of disease preps and then reach a tipping point.

based on that parsed out detail thread above these fish should be assumed to have a disease yet to be identified. nice call.
Here’s the update

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 73

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per the updates you are mid- job and in the sand removal stage is that correct

meaning next step will be a totally empty display, cleaned out with vinegar glass 100% clear then you do the sand rinsing part, test for clean rinse in a clear glass container before refilling?

the idea is that once disassembly begins there’s only one safe way to proceed

the reason the tank has to be brought to totally empty, and wiped clean, is so that no clouding components can adhere to the walls of the tank and then cloud the refill. We need laser clear reassembly in order to track out cycle safety so if non cycle issues cloud the tank it prevents safety assessments in the reassembled tank. It causes tank cleaners to be more thorough vs have cleaning gaps is why we do it that way.

at one point the tank will be empty and completely clean and clear, the sand held separate clean and clear, the rocks and fish held separately clean and clear, then when it’s all reassembled it’s clean and clear as a recurring theme

Jay was wise to point out staying away from palythoa on the back wall, scrape and clean around those / who wants palytoxin stress added to this huge job agreed. Clean every square inch other than that so the walls of the tank are 100% clear like a new reef, only with palythoids adhered on the back. You can use a saltwater pour or spray to keep them hydrated during this very extended breakdown large job. They wont die if kept marginally wet.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a water change in the holding tank it’s going cloudy and that’s packed with large fish and the system has low surface area. Don’t dose prime. Do a water change matching temp and salinity / a large %

cloud= impending doom, cause the clean condition in all cases

in our example threads everyone had completely clear holding water for the fish

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about this order of ops: fix the holding tank now so the fish don’t die while you’re at the doctor. Go to the Dr.

tell her or him you took on a fish tank cleaning after being an owner of palythoids so she or he can factor that in diagnostics. I was in the Dr. office two days ago to get my ticker checked and the waiting room looked like a COVID wasteland of hacking coughing and malaise x 9 so palytoxin would be my last guess issue but not a zero factor.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
posting here will be fine erase that number before bots pick it up and you get never ending sales ads

now that you mention illness after being an owner of palythoa id be in a bad place to not recommend Dr. now, but after you’ve fixed the holding tank packed in fish going cloudy. laser clear fish holding first, then Dr., then after two days recoup / however long they advise/ finish the rip clean

this all makes a powerful case for pre reading and preps, its amazing that reef is so big you have to climb into it, Im truly shocked. Those fish needed to be divided up into two separate totes, each larger than that qt tank.

*goes and edits a palythoa advisory in the rip clean thread first possible sentence

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty in ten straight years of tank work I’ve never had someone state physical illness from handling items they owned and arranged themselves, we have to shore up the medical side right now. Surely you’ve seen the 2020 headlines on the dude in Dallas with palythoids/ bad outcome

We cannot proceed in good conscience here until you get a medical pass to rip clean. Heck don’t even drive. Get a ride or call the ambulance, once you’re checked clean we proceed.

how come none of the DSB procedural posts the last twenty years don’t tell us we need level four ppe after following their advise that packing in waste is consequence-free. Those rascals. Old detritus was patently promoted to be inert mineral reduced ash.

add to palythoa headlines: owners of deep sand beds be on alert, but not bare bottom tank owners.

even if they’re not palythoids you have me concerned and not about a recycle this time. Go to Dr.

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty in ten straight years of tank work I’ve never had someone state physical illness from handling items they owned and arranged themselves, we have to shore up the medical side right now. Surely you’ve seen the 2020 headlines on the dude in Dallas with palythoids/ bad outcome

We cannot proceed in good conscience here until you get a medical pass to rip clean. Heck don’t even drive. Get a ride or call the ambulance, once you’re checked clean we proceed.

how come none of the DSB procedural posts the last twenty years don’t tell us we need level four ppe after following their advise that packing in waste is consequence-free. Those rascals. Old detritus was patently promoted to be inert mineral reduced ash.

add to palythoa headlines: owners of deep sand beds be on alert, but not bare bottom tank owners.

even if they’re not palythoids you have me concerned and not about a recycle this time. Go to Dr.
The paly polyps exposed to air at the top of the dt is concerning but we all know having palys that actually have palytoxin is rare , to treat all as if they do .
Seek medical attention with questionable palytoxin exposure mentioned

here in Canada .
mentioning being stung by a foxface rabbit fish , anemone , or even palytoxin exposure they look at you like you have 3 heads

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty can we get an update on you, not the reef

Id like to go take a common mid Sunday nap but will need some reassurance before can attain rem III

ideal update: I’m about to go in for labs things looking ok so far. I’m physically in the building, just awaiting labs prep.

OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty can we get an update on you, not the reef

Id like to go take a common mid Sunday nap but will need some reassurance before can attain rem III

ideal update: I’m about to go in for labs things looking ok so far. I’m physically in the building, just awaiting labs prep.

Back